X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

do you dwell in audio Hell?

LINK to what i thought was an interesting article concerning the 'addiction' most of us here share....
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Good read. My criteria is "Do I like it?" Not very scientific , but if I don't like it the reasons don't matter.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

so when was the last time you & i cared what anybody else thought? :roflmao:
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Well , it was some time before the divorce. LOL
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

My accountant strongly advised against getting involved with another woman Lee. Who can you trust if you can't trust your accountant? Certainly not your Lawyer! LOL.

Audio? I've fought this war since the 70s Yeah Yeah Yeah...
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

when interviewing potential accountants, i asked, "what is 1+1?"

i hired the one who answered, "what do you want it to be?"
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

I'm pretty utilitarian when it comes to audio gear. My criteria are as follows:

Does it sound better than what I already have?
              Can I afford it?

If I can answer yes to each, then I buy it. If not, then I don't.

For me, it's about enjoying the tunes and the hunt. I go to audio shows and play with stuff I could never afford (for fun) and my shopping research when I want to upgrade can take years (around 18-24 months on average, maybe a bit longer for speakers), but ultimately my two criteria are always in play.

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Lex
                My accountant strongly advised against getting involved with another woman Lee. Who can you trust if you can't trust your accountant? Certainly not your Lawyer! LOL.

Audio? I've fought this war since the 70s Yeah Yeah Yeah...
                My lawyer? You should see my lawyer. OMG. She is , shall we say , quite the looker.
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I must lead a very simple and deficient life, as I have no lawyer, and no accountant. (OTOH, my GF does. Though neither is a looker.)

OTOH, I did like the article and agreed substantially with the general gist, though I'd make the argument that a really accurate and transparent system will make some of those funky recordings more memorizing if only because they reproduce what's there with as much clarity and presence as you can hope for. BUT, I do agree any system that homogenizes stuff and makes it all sound the same in some regards, is probably not be to be trusted, unless that really, really is the flavor you like.

Example; tube gear can sound very fun and euphonic, but if you listen to much live acoustic music, it's clearly adding stuff in that wasn't there. Same thing with the imaging prized by vinyl people at times; there are some funny phase things that are going on in a lot of phono cartridges that is euphonic and potentially addictive- but did it originally sound like that? OTOH, a lot of digital (i.e., most) has serious limitations to reproduction of an acoustic space, and frankly doesn't hold a candle to my old vinyl system from the 70's in that regard- Rabco arm, Denon DL103 cartridge, my own design phono preamp (ultra accurate passive RIAA processing). Only the most recent (last 5-7 years) digital gear has been fixing that, and rubidium based re-clocking.

These opinions are purely my own and do not represent the management or ownership of HT Guide, and possibly not most of it's members. No one paid for this announcement, but I approved the content of this message in it's entirety.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

My vinyl rig from the 80s is still my favorite source of all time. My current disc spinner (in my sig) has done a remarkable job of convincing me that digital source material doesn't have to be horrid noise. That was not an easy conversion. It still doesn't hold a candle to a Yamaha PX 2 linear TT with a Klipsch(!) Ruby cantilever cartridge , though. Jon , if you remember old gear , the Yamaha fed a Tandberg amp and pre amp stack (forget the series , 3xxx 150 wpc) and a pair of A/D/S L1530 speakers. I'm a sucker for soft dome mids and tweeters. That rig caused my mother to stop and say "Oh my God. Led Zeppelin has some very good musicians!" LOL The CD players I tried through that system convinced me digital had no future. And that's why I don't buy lottery tickets.
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                      I must lead a very simple and deficient life, as I have no lawyer, and no accountant. (OTOH, my GF does. Though neither is a looker.)

OTOH, I did like the article and agreed substantially with the general gist, though I'd make the argument that a really accurate and transparent system will make some of those funky recordings more memorizing if only because they reproduce what's there with as much clarity and presence as you can hope for. BUT, I do agree any system that homogenizes stuff and makes it all sound the same in some regards, is probably not be to be trusted, unless that really, really is the flavor you like.

Example; tube gear can sound very fun and euphonic, but if you listen to much live acoustic music, it's clearly adding stuff in that wasn't there. Same thing with the imaging prized by vinyl people at times; there are some funny phase things that are going on in a lot of phono cartridges that is euphonic and potentially addictive- but did it originally sound like that? OTOH, a lot of digital (i.e., most) has serious limitations to reproduction of an acoustic space, and frankly doesn't hold a candle to my old vinyl system from the 70's in that regard- Rabco arm, Denon DL103 cartridge, my own design phono preamp (ultra accurate passive RIAA processing). Only the most recent (last 5-7 years) digital gear has been fixing that, and rubidium based re-clocking.

These opinions are purely my own and do not represent the management or ownership of HT Guide, and possibly not most of it's members. No one paid for this announcement, but I approved the content of this message in it's entirety.
                      Hehehehe!!!! I love the disclaimer at the end !!! Hilarious !
                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"