X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

My Pono Player

My Pono Player arrived almost two months ago. Yes, it was late but worth it! :T

After a generous break in I can say it is quite a pleasant sounding little player and betters our OPPO disc player from what I can tell. It has a more relaxed presentation but very detailed as well. I can't really fault it, but don't have have super high end digital gear to compare it with.

As for the Pono Music site ... it needs much more high res content. Most all files are 16 bit. I bought the Natalie Merchant - Tiger lily album in high res (96kHz/24bit ... I think) and am very pleased with the way it sounded. Still the recording quality matters most, not the resolution. 16 bit sounds very nice as well with good recordings. I also got the Led Zeplin IV album and some Billy Joel in High Res.

It's a nice place to buy music. I do wish the search engine had a filter to let you filter for the resolution of the music and such. They are just getting started though. I'm sure that is on the way.

It was reviewed in Stereophile this month by John Atkinson. He really liked it and bought the review sample as I remember.

So that's all I have to say I guess ... there is more info about it this thread started by Bigburner -
    For the connoisseur of fine audio. Whether 2 channel or multichannel format, solid state or tube electronics, discuss it here. Also, hardware related SACD, DVD Audio, vinyl, high end speakers and audio enhancements including high end cables.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pono1box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	871413
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

That definitely deserves a banana. :banana: Congrats on the new stufff, and I'm glad you're liking it so much! I haven't tried one out myself, yet. And that shape is still strange. But I do continue to hear good things about it.

Originally posted by Johnloudb
    After a generous break in I can say it is quite a pleasant sounding little player and betters our OPPO disc player from what I can tell.
    Now that's very interesting!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

Thanks Chris, yes it's a wierd shape! Haven't figured out the resoning behind that yet. I don't use it for portable listening though and when I set it down on the table next to me, it's easy to see the screen since it's at an angle.
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"