X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Blast from the past- Stereophile post

I use to set up and sell these systems (or rather, the other way around) back in the late 70's. Something of a surprise to see an article about the Levinson HQD system near the top of the page online at Stereophile.

The name "Mark Levinson" has for some years been equated with absolute, no-compromise perfectionism in audio design. Mark Levinson's equipment is highly esteemed by many audiophiles and audio-oriented musicians (most musicians just don't care about reproduced sound), and he has produced some of the best recordings that have ever been made.

Definitely a hoot- HQD stands for "Hartley-Quad-Decca"- Hartley subwoofer, and Decca ribbon tweeters mated with a Levinson crossover to an inverted stack of Quad ESL's in a custom oak stand. They took a little care to get setup just right, but you'd be hard put to beat them with any modern speakers, though we sold them with Janis Subs instead of Harley, which were more compact and used some pretty good 15" drivers.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Electrostatics ??
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

For the midrange- you know, the original Quad ESL from England? With two stacked this way, because of the way they were built with a center ribbon tweeter, you effectively had a near line array source with an HF ribbon in the very center (what looks like a black bar between the quads, it's put right in the middle) . They took a bit of setup to really sing, and the setup as shown in the picture was NOT right - they need to be away from the wall for the mid bass to midrange to treble balance to be setup right.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Obi-Wan
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Away from the walls? I'd wager the number of units sold to households with married couples (or common-law equivalents) was in the single digits then. :lol:

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ovation
          Away from the walls? I'd wager the number of units sold to households with married couples (or common-law equivalents) was in the single digits then. :lol:
          Yeah, well, duh! :W The price tag tended to put it in that range, too!
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Out of curiosity, how much would a pair of those bad boys have set one back?

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

All speakers need to be placed away from the walls to sound their best.........even if it means divorce!

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                All speakers need to be placed away from the walls to sound their best.........even if it means divorce!
                Sometimes especially if it means divorce...I got lucky for a while. We had a finished basement that became my domain (had to keep the delicate toys away from children , pets , less than bright guests) and my speakers were where they sounded best with no regard for aesthetics. The family had the HTIB in the living room to do with as they pleased. Downstairs was "Dad's room" , pronounced with proper female derision. Fortunately , the large knob on the right side of the integrated provided a nice counterpoint to the negativity. :righton:
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Well, I have the Man-Cave (official sign on the door and everything) and there is nothing "aesthetic" about my room. Within limits for space and necessary furniture, speakers are placed where they sound best, not where they look best (same goes for the 2 subwoofers). I even have visible, rather large bass traps that do nothing for looks but do help tame bass peaks. In the living room, speaker placement has been somewhat compromised, though they are not entirely overridden by "aesthetic" concerns.

Oh and no divorce concerns here--my wife has probably put up 75% of the money for my audio gear over the past decade. :T

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Well, I have the Man-Cave (official sign on the door and everything) and there is nothing "aesthetic" about my room. Within limits for space and necessary furniture, speakers are placed where they sound best, not where they look best (same goes for the 2 subwoofers). I even have visible, rather large bass traps that do nothing for looks but do help tame bass peaks. In the living room, speaker placement has been somewhat compromised, though they are not entirely overridden by "aesthetic" concerns.

Oh and no divorce concerns here--my wife has probably put up 75% of the money for my audio gear over the past decade. :T
                    Wife pays for 75% of audio gear??!!!!!!!!..........a marriage made in heaven!

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

I have no complaints.

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Pretty cool Jon. I would call those the blackboard speakers. The stands look like blackboard or white board stands. heh.
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Yeah, there's more than a minor esthetic resemblance. The stands were made of white oak, and they actually looked pretty good in the flesh, considering.
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by madmac

Unless they're designed otherwise- this is normally the case for built in recording studio monitors. In fact, this whole problem of out in the room has come to a head in GF's family room, as the Isis can be optimally placed, but GF doesn't like the resulting position or the necessary position for the couch.

So it's back to the drawing board. But, to quote Martin Luther King, "I have a dream"... more than that, I have a plan, and a design on paper for a system that might deliver 85% of the sound quality of the Isis nearly everywhere in the room, instead of just in a specific listening zone. Have the rough concept outlined, working on paper, and currently working on individual elements- some driver testing and module testing to do... they will sit flush back in the corner, and be floor to ceiling line arrays. Talk about a flash back to the ten years ago! But most all of the line array systems I've seen built, and the ones I have heard, have been fundamentally flawed because the designers tried to cut corners on the physical necessities, often coupling a mono pole woofer with a partial line array (Selah Julietta comes to mind, as well as the Linus I & II designs and variants I've seen and heard by other builders. Best working example that was close to doing it right was ThomasW's Acoutstat 1+1 with panasonic leaf ribbons; but I'd say the leaf ribbons couldn't reach nearly low enough for an optimal crossover point considering the dual panel spacing. And while the IB sub manifold was clean and deep, it doesn't have the 3 dB/octave fall off characteristic that the line array has, which means balance changes with distance, and the best crossover point for the IB is a little low for the ESL panels.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"