What two ch amp is best for me? Help me spend my money!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Finleyville
    • Sep 2006

What two ch amp is best for me? Help me spend my money!

Anyway...

I just finished building a pair of Finalist speakers found in the DIY section and now need a nice 2 channel amp. Since the Finalists are rated as a 6 ohm speaker with dips down to 4 ohms and only a 83dB sensitivity rating these are hungry speakers. A high current design with a minimum of 150W/ch is required. I want to buy this amp ONCE and not look back. However, funds are an issue (when aren't they?) so I am looking for used pieces. I have narrowed my choices down to the following in basic order.

Odyssey Stratos [150W/ch] : $1275 new without any factory tweaks
    McCormack DNA-1 [185W/ch] : $800-1000 used
    Bryston 4b (st and newer versions are still too pricey) [200W/ch] : $650-850 used
    PS Audio 200C [200W/ch] : $550-800 used
    Onkyo Integra M-504 [165W/ch] : $500-700 used
    Adcom GFA-555 mk 1 [200W/ch] : $300-500 used

So, has anyone personally listened to any of these? What are your thoughts?
    BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

Not many on the used market, but check out Wyred 4 Sound's ST-500.
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Bryston 4b (st and newer versions are still too pricey) [200W/ch] : $650-850 used
      Can't go wrong with high current, high value Bryston power amps driving "inefficient" speakers. I'd be driving my Magnepan MG 3.6 speakers with a Bryston 4B (which I tried in my system and liked a lot) if I hadn't gotten a killer deal on some 7B SST monoblocks. The 4B has terrific sound, just slightly less overall headroom than the 7B's when playing music in a large room. On a budget, the used 4B in good condition would be a great choice.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

Rotel RB-1090!

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
        Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
        Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
        Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
        Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
        Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
        Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR
        Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Classe CA-150 and CA-200 should be on the list, both in the $1,000 to $1,250 range.

Comment

• jim1961
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Glen B
            Classe CA-150 and CA-200 should be on the list, both in the $1,000 to $1,250 range.
            ...or a pair of CA-100's bridged (350 watts/channel) for about that money
            Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

A little out of the price range... but I've heard amazing things about this amp.... Job225

Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Johnloudb
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2007

Not sure what to recommend, but think you would do well with either Classe or Bryston amps. I have heard older Classe stuff and really liked it, DR-8 specifically. But I have owned the McCormack DNA-1 and you should stay away from that. While it has a pleasant sound it really has underdamped bass (bass bloom) and the detail is not the best. It has to many warm fuzzys that take away from the music, IMHO.
                John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Finleyville
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                  Not sure what to recommend, but think you would do well with either Classe or Bryston amps. I have heard older Classe stuff and really liked it, DR-8 specifically. But I have owned the McCormack DNA-1 and you should stay away from that. While it has a pleasant sound it really has underdamped bass (bass bloom) and the detail is not the best. It has to many warm fuzzys that take away from the music, IMHO.
                  You are the first person that I have heard that didn't like that McCormack DNA amp. There is one on eBay right now that I was going to pick up today.

Crap. I thought I had this all figured out....

I am looking for what most everybody is looking for in an amp: Powerful, quick, detailed without being harsh, deep without being bloated.

Classe was in the running but everyone wants top dollar for theirs, and I have not found anyone with a reasonable price.

Comment

• jim1961
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Finleyville
                    You are the first person that I have heard that didn't like that McCormack DNA amp. There is one on eBay right now that I was going to pick up today.

I am looking for what most everybody is looking for in an amp: Powerful, quick, detailed without being harsh, deep without being bloated.

Classe was in the running but everyone wants top dollar for theirs, and I have not found anyone with a reasonable price.
                    Over at Audiogon, there is a Classe CA-150 for $1000, and a S-700 for $1350. And a Bryston 3B-ST for $899
                    Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

• Glen B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2004

What do you consider top dollar and reasonable ? The vast majority of Classe amps I see on sale are more than fairly priced, and commensurate with their condition.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2007

Some people like the warm fuzzys, and it may mate well with some speakers. The DNA-1 has a low damping factor of about 100. So likely not the best choice for a low impedance, insensitive speaker. Still our speakers were very sensitive, high impeadance, and it still really didn't control the bottom end. Not that we didn't enjoy it, but I wouldn't choose that amp again.
                        John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Published specs from manufactures can be helpful for culling through a lot of equipment, but I usually take them with a grain of salt.
                          As always, let your ears be the judge.

But one spec that that has proven to reliable in my experience when comparing an amps performance relative to the units specs is Damping Factor.
                          A reflection of how well an amp controls the driver from over-excursion, Damping Factor will generally correlate to how well an amp produces accurate, tight low end performance.

If it were me, I would want to demo an amp with such a low DF before I purchased it.

JMHO YMMV
                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Used Aragons. 8008BB, or X3. Palladiums are good, too, but harder to find and more expensive. I own all of the above, that I still keep them and haven't sold them when other things come and go says something.

A used Ayre V-5 is also a great choice, and is a bit more forgiving of associated components.

new, an Ayre VX-5 is intriguing do to the use of a diamond configuration output stage, a concept originally developed for IC input stages...
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• impala454
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007

Emotiva XPA-2 ($900 new) http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/...ts/xpa-2-gen-2
                              -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Yeah I was going to say the Aragon and Ayre amps are quite loved all over.

Comment

• Finleyville
                                  • Sep 2006

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Since I have tweaked the crossover in my Finalists they are really screaming for a neutral sounding amp. I have highs and lows galore with a fantastic midrange. So I really think that these speakers will show the amps nature. Therefore, I am looking for a very neutral sounding amp.

I have not heard Classe, Aragon, or Bryston. Actually there is a lot that I haven't heard. If I was buying new then perhaps auditioning the piece would be easier to do with the help from the dealer. However, to get the most from my dollar I wish to buy used. That makes listening beforehand more difficult.

From reading sooooo much so far on the internet (and we all know that everything on the internet is true! :roll these are the impressions that I have received: Bryston is slightly bright, built like a tank, and best in warranty. Classe is more refined, softer in sound, close to tubes. Emotiva hits like a tank, good deal for the money, cold and bright. Krell is overbuilt, emphasizes the lower register to the detriment of everything else. Adcom is a good place to start for not a lot of money, sounds grainy and bright. I know absolutely nothing about Aragon....hmmmmm.

Here are some different amps that are currently found on the 'Gon that I have no idea about. Can someone here shed some light?

Belles 150A

Proceed HPA2

Threshold 400A

Also, to you Classe uses, have any of you heard the Classe S-700?

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2007

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Since I have tweaked the crossover in my Finalists they are really screaming for a neutral sounding amp. I have highs and lows galore with a fantastic midrange. So I really think that these speakers will show the amps nature. Therefore, I am looking for a very neutral sounding amp.

I have not heard Classe, Aragon, or Bryston. Actually there is a lot that I haven't heard. If I was buying new then perhaps auditioning the piece would be easier to do with the help from the dealer. However, to get the most from my dollar I wish to buy used. That makes listening beforehand more difficult.

From reading sooooo much so far on the internet (and we all know that everything on the internet is true! :roll these are the impressions that I have received: Bryston is slightly bright, built like a tank, and best in warranty. Classe is more refined, softer in sound, close to tubes. Emotiva hits like a tank, good deal for the money, cold and bright. Krell is overbuilt, emphasizes the lower register to the detriment of everything else. Adcom is a good place to start for not a lot of money, sounds grainy and bright. I know absolutely nothing about Aragon....hmmmmm.

Here are some different amps that are currently found on the 'Gon that I have no idea about. Can someone here shed some light?

Belles 150A

Proceed HPA2

Threshold 400A

Also, to you Classe uses, have any of you heard the Classe S-700?
                                    The A400 is a great amp from all reports I've heard, a real classic designed by Nelson Pass. It's also an older amp and may have some problems down the road. May need capacitor replacement soon. The asking price is a bit high in my opinion.

More A400 fun! http://www.kenealeyaudio.com/rebuildpackages.asp

For that price you might want to consider this amp, that Hank just pointed to in my Dipole Speaker thread. And it's new!!!

With build quality and performance often found in amplifiers many times its price, the Stratos stereo amplifier truly punches above its weight

Absolute Sound Review of the cheaper Odyssey amp in Absolute sound -

This might be a great choice for your speaker, and a 30 day money back policy. From the review linked to above -

"I’m not saying you should run out and buy one of these things instead of a Soulution 710 or 700 if you own or are planning to purchase Magico M5s or Wilson MAXX 3s or Rockport Arraki (although, if you’re pinching pennies on the rest of your system to leverage a pair of pricey speakers, you could do plenty worse than the Khartago). What I am saying is that the Odyssey amp gives you more of the taste of the high-priced spread than I thought possible for $995 (or anywhere near that price). And since the Khartago works into loads as low as 2 ohms, it mates up with virtually anything—not just Magico M5s. But don’t take my word for it. Try it for yourself. Odyssey offers the Khartago (and all its products) with a 30-day, no-questions-asked, money-back return policy. There is no “restocking” fee.

If all that isn’t good news, then I’m fresh out of headlines."

SPECS & PRICING
                                    Odyssey Audio Khartago Stereo Amplifier

Power: 115Wpc RMS @ 8 ohms
                                    Bandwidth: 2Hz–400kHz
                                    Current: 40 amps
                                    Distortion:<0.04% THD
                                    Damping factor: >500 continuous damping factor
                                    Input impedance: >22kOhms
                                    Inputs: One pair RCA
                                    Weight: 30 lbs.
                                    Dimensions: 18" x 18.5" x 4"
                                    Price: $799 ($995 as supplied)
                                    John unk:

Comment

• Finleyville
                                      • Sep 2006

TY John.

As in my OP the bigger brother, Odyssey Stratos, is one I was considering. I do not know if 115W/ch will do it for me. There is one on the 'Gon right now. I may pick it up.... hmmmmm.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2007

TY John.

As in my OP the bigger brother, Odyssey Stratos, is one I was considering. I do not know if 115W/ch will do it for me. There is one on the 'Gon right now. I may pick it up.... hmmmmm.
                                        Oh, yeah. I missed that in your first post. Did not know about Odyssey amps till Hank posted about them.
                                        John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                          • Jan 2006

As I recently posted in another thread concerning the Odyssey room at this year's Capital Audiofest:

" When we stepped into the Odyssey Audio room they had a complete system consisting of CDp, pre-amp, amp & speakers with a total retail cost of under $6k that was competitive with just about any other offering at the show. In fact it down right beat the stink’n crap out many systems 3x its price."
                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                            • Nov 2004

I'd call Klaus!!!!

-Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              • Jan 2006

That is the same guy we talked to at the show.
                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Finleyville
                                                • Sep 2006

I made a decision! I bought an amp!

I will post up what I purchased and some pictures when I have auditioned everything first.

I want to thank everyone who responded. Your personal experiences and suggestions were invaluable in my search. Plus, if this particular amp doesn't work out then I have this thread to fall back on to try again.

Comment

• Finleyville
                                                  • Sep 2006

Well......

Since wkhanna let the cat out of the bag with THIS post, I guess I will 'fess up with my purchase. :P

That was my Odyssey Khartago Plus we were listening to at PewterTA's house. I have to admit I was hesitant at first about the purchase. However, after hooking them up to the B&W's and hearing how close they sounded while giving up 275W/ch to the Rotel, I was relieved. Then once we connected the Finalists to the Odyssey I was smiling ear to ear. In fact, if you were milling around in the back of the room and not critically listening, it was not readily apparent which set of speakers were playing to me. (And I LOVE those B&W's.)

So......since I loved the amp so much......I ordered and had delivered an Odyssey Khartago EXTREME! I have not listened to this one yet. But when it is broken in I will provide a full report in the aforementioned Odyssey Amps thread!

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2007

Well......

Since wkhanna let the cat out of the bag with THIS post, I guess I will 'fess up with my purchase. :P

That was my Odyssey Khartago Plus we were listening to at PewterTA's house. I have to admit I was hesitant at first about the purchase. However, after hooking them up to the B&W's and hearing how close they sounded while giving up 275W/ch to the Rotel, I was relieved. Then once we connected the Finalists to the Odyssey I was smiling ear to ear. In fact, if you were milling around in the back of the room and not critically listening, it was not readily apparent which set of speakers were playing to me. (And I LOVE those B&W's.)

So......since I loved the amp so much......I ordered and had delivered an Odyssey Khartago EXTREME! I have not listened to this one yet. But when it is broken in I will provide a full report in the aforementioned Odyssey Amps thread!
                                                    Oh, that's cool!!! Sounds good Michael ... just don't let Bill (wkhanna) listen to it, so he can't jump the gun with an unauthorized review. :W
                                                    John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                      • Jan 2006

Well......

V sorry for jumping the gun, Michael.ops:
                                                      However, if you re-read my post, I do not believe you will find one mention of the Finalists or you.
                                                      The post after mine, well, I guess an assumption was made that everyone had already figured out it was your amp.:W
                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Finleyville
                                                        • Sep 2006

Nah, just funnin' around.

Other people might be building those Finalists, but I think I am the only one on the boards vocal about looking for an amp to match. So it wasn't much of a stretch of the imagination to see it was mine....no probs.....

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                          • Jan 2006

but...but..............it is always Dan's fault!!!
                                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                            • Nov 2004

Can't tell me NUTTIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha ha ha ha.
                                                            -Dan

Comment

• technodanvan
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Nov 2009

Out of curiosity (and because the website isn't clear) what does the Extreme offer over the 'Pro'?
                                                              - Danny

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                • Nov 2004

From what I remember on the discussion. Upgraded power supply, upgraded cabling, upgraded caps (though the caps might be in the pro)... I can't remember what else.
                                                                -Dan

Comment

• Finleyville
                                                                  • Sep 2006

It is my understanding that from the standard amp the PLUS model offers additional power supply capacitance. Now from the plus the EXTREME offers a different and bigger power supply (5 extra amps per rail for the Khartago), Vishay resistors, Wima caps for the signal path, very high grade and shielded internal cabling, and upgraded rear connections. I have taken some pictures of the Extreme internals. When I have some time I will do the same with the Plus model to see the differences.

Right now I have the K Extreme burning in hooked up to my very expensive $75 PBS bookshelf speakers with our tv. :P Once a month or two passes I will remove the amp and A/B it to the Khartago Plus I have.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2007

It is my understanding that from the standard amp the PLUS model offers additional power supply capacitance. Now from the plus the EXTREME offers a different and bigger power supply (5 extra amps per rail for the Khartago), Vishay resistors, Wima caps for the signal path, very high grade and shielded internal cabling, and upgraded rear connections. I have taken some pictures of the Extreme internals. When I have some time I will do the same with the Plus model to see the differences.
                                                                    Oh, cool, sounds like a very nice upgrade! Look forward to the pics.

Right now I have the K Extreme burning in hooked up to my very expensive $75 PBS bookshelf speakers with our tv. :P Once a month or two passes I will remove the amp and A/B it to the Khartago Plus I have.
                                                                    Nope, sorry, that's not gonna work for me. One to two weeks max break in!!! Two months or two weeks makes no difference, trust me!
                                                                    John unk:

Comment

• Finleyville
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                                                      Nope, sorry, that's not gonna work for me. One to two weeks max break in!!! Two months or two weeks makes no difference, trust me!
                                                                      Haha. Funny. Klaus recommended about 200 hours. In fact, his exact words were, "Now when you first use the amp it is going to sound like $#!%." I actually laughed at him on the phone. He confirmed what other owners have reported about his products. Some days it will sound good, the next time like nails across the chalkboard, and the next like you are listening underwater.

Since I travel so much and only home a couple of days a week my home stereo sees about 2 hours a week averaged. I guess that equates to around 3 years of break in. ( i Think NOT!) So that is why I connected it to the tv setup which is on at least 8 hours a day because of my lovely wife. So it should be ready to go around a month.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2007

Klaus recommended about 200 hours. So it should be ready to go around a month.
                                                                        Okay, well Klaus should know. I guess if you can wait I can.
                                                                        John unk:

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"