X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Definitions for Audiophiles

OK, I thought it might be a fun exercise to come up with our own set of definitions related to our beloved hobby.

As a reference, here is a link to the one at Stereophile.

But I thought ours might take a less serious, more lighthearted tack........

As an example, I will offer the following proposal:

Infidelity: When you tell your significant other you only paid one third the actual cost for the ridiculously expensive new piece of equipment you just bought & it still has not cured that V slight high frequency etch you occasionally detect on the that original six eye, Hi-Res rip of ‘Time Out’.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • JeremyG
    • Sep 2008

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

My definition is this:

Audiophile : someone who is obsessed with re-creating an as close as possible rendition of the original studio recording and/or live performance as possible via their audio systems, knowing fully well that this is not completely and totally possible. Also knowing fully that once a live instrument or vocal that goes into a microphone or mixing board is forever changed. However, we strive to re-create that 'real' effect to as close an approximation as possible. We fidget....adjust.....move furniture....try new gear.....adjust existing gear....re-position our speakers and will do anything.....fair or unfair.....convenient or inconvenient to achieve that goal!!. Women are of course, baffled and oblivious to this concept mostly. However, when everything is kicking and chirping nicely to our satisfaction, they cannot deny that......"Hell....this sounds really good"!!. Women dig good audio but are not willing to go through what is necessary to achieve it!!. That's the job of us dudes.....kinda' like mowing the lawn and stuff!!.
      Last edited by wkhanna; 09 July 2013, 11:08 Tuesday.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Upgradeitis: The constant struggle within one's self to find satisfaction with current state of their system, relating to the need to improve and change the current state. Upgradeitis is highly contagious and often can be transmitted from being in near proximity of others that have recently upgraded their equipment. Prolonged exposure to said new equipment will inevitably lead to a severe case of Upgradeitis. A person will know when they have contracted this infliction by having dark feelings that their equipment is not performing correctly, sound has been degraded ("Sounds like pots and pans rattling"), contemplating the age of the equipment, mysteriously finding one's way onto manufacturer's websites, and even purchasing various magazines about new equipment (ie Stereophile). The only known cure is to, in fact, perform some type of upgrade to ones current system. Small changes have been known to curb the symptoms enough to stop the resulting Infidelity from also occuring. See Infidelity - Post #1 If small changes do not get rid of current symptoms, then the resulting fact will occur: Expensive and new toys will appear in said system. A Holistic approach has been said to work on a minor subset of people, it involves not listening to one's system for one to two weeks. This will re-calibrate and balance one's inner voice to possible cure Upgradeitis.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

Aggravation - When you buy an when audiophile brand bluetooth speaker with great reviews and find it's 'bright' tonal balance unpleasant with no tone controls to fix the situation. To top it off, a family member throws out the shipping box and some of the packaging so you can't return it. Of course, now your only option is now to break it in, and if that doesn't work put felt cloth over the tweeter?
          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

To simplify.......audiophiles like good sound? :-)

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

Originally posted by madmac
              To simplify.......audiophiles like good sound? :-)
              I don't know ... what is good sound? I'm pretty sensitive to bright sounding gear. And the mids sound recessed on these. Some audiophiles like the hyper detailed sound of a very flat frequency response. I like a little extra bass and low-midrange boost. I also haven't heard a metal dome tweeter I liked, and this little sucker has 'em. Anyway I'm going to try and send these back minus some of the packing material.
              John unk:

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                I don't know ... what is good sound? I'm pretty sensitive to bright sounding gear. And the mids sound recessed on these. Some audiophiles like the hyper detailed sound of a very flat frequency response. I like a little extra bass and low-midrange boost. I also haven't heard a metal dome tweeter I liked, and this little sucker has 'em. Anyway I'm going to try and send these back minus some of the packing material.
                Good Sound : when something recorded sounds real (Live) to your ears. Merci !
                Last edited by wkhanna; 09 July 2013, 11:09 Tuesday.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

Good Sound: when something recorded sounds real (Live) to your ears. Merci !
                  Yeah, that would be my definition, but to some that might mean solid state and conventional speakers, and to others it might mean tubes and horn speakers. So, just saying it can be hard to get two audiophiles to agree on what sounds more 'real' to their ears.
                  Last edited by Johnloudb; 09 July 2013, 14:36 Tuesday.
                  John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Good Sound: When The Wife says; "Thank you for all the lovely presents! For being such a loving & attentive husband, why don't you go ahead & get that audio Thingy-mah-Jig you where talking about the other day".
                    Last edited by wkhanna; 14 July 2013, 15:11 Sunday.
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                      Yeah, that would be my definition, but to some that might mean solid state and conventional speakers, and to others it might mean tubes and horn speakers. So, just saying it can be hard to get two audiophiles to agree on what sounds more 'real' to their ears.
                      Yes of course......It's all relative to the listener. However, I like to think that there are some relative truths to what 'accurate' sound reproduction is.....especially here on the forum.

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

I like to think that there are some relative truths to what 'accurate' sound reproduction is.....
                        From Wiktionary:

accuracy

1. The state of being accurate; freedom from mistakes, this exemption arising from carefulness; exactness; nicety; correctness

2. Exact conformity to truth, or to a rule or model; degree of conformity of a measure to a true or standard value.

It seems to me that 'true' accuracy is exclusive to a live sound.
                        Any reproduction must by definition be inaccurate.

But if we can get close, as in V, V close......what are the characteristics that make it somewhat believable even though it is only a representation of the original event?

It is a state of mind. Not a tangible or mathematically definable truth.

I know I am not sitting in the twentieth row center at Heinz Hall, but the sound I hear from my system sometimes makes me recognize features of that sound that I am used to hearing (having been there often).
                        And yet, the V same recording played one day may seem better or worse on another.
                        It is only my mind that allows me to feel as though I am there.
                        Last edited by wkhanna; 14 July 2013, 15:14 Sunday.
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

There are different live sounds though, live concert sound, or the sound of an artist playing raw and live with an acoustic instrument and so on. I prefer the later.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

Any 'live' sound must be reactive to its surroundings, whether they be a concert hall, a stadium, a small club, an open field, a cave........
                            Whether produced by an acoustic instrument, a human voice or a stack of Marshal amplifiers is of no matter.
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I guess that is true.

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                • Dec 2008

WAF: The fallacy that any gear/accessories/tweaks can be dressed up/placed/disguised as interior decoration and actually be "accepted" by the better half.
                                Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                                  WAF: The fallacy that any gear/accessories/tweaks can be dressed up/placed/disguised as interior decoration and actually be "accepted" by the better half.
                                  Now there is a 'truism' if I ever heard one!

Let it be known, however, that there are actually those among us who have partners with significant, if uncommon, tolerance levels.
                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                    From Wiktionary:

accuracy

1. The state of being accurate; freedom from mistakes, this exemption arising from carefulness; exactness; nicety; correctness

2. Exact conformity to truth, or to a rule or model; degree of conformity of a measure to a true or standard value.

It seems to me that 'true' accuracy is exclusive to a live sound.
                                    Any reproduction must by definition be inaccurate.

But if we can get close, as in V, V close......what are the characteristics that make it somewhat believable even though it is only a representation of the original event?

It is a state of mind. Not a tangible or mathematically definable truth.

I know I am not sitting in the twentieth row center at Heinz Hall, but the sound I hear from my system sometimes makes me recognize features of that sound that I am used to hearing (having been there often).
                                    And yet, the V same recording played one day may seem better or worse on another.
                                    It is only my mind that allows me to feel as though I am there.
                                    Really well said Bill !! Excellent!
                                    Last edited by wkhanna; 14 July 2013, 15:16 Sunday.

Comment

• madmac
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                                      Hehehe....You have to negotiate that with the wife before the fact. With mine,,,,,ok, we can buy this house but the living room is mine!!. I'm settin' up my stuff!!. Works!!.

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                        • Dec 2008

You guys are fortunate to have an agreeable spouse/partner/boss.

Revealing: The catharsis one experiences after putting on their best LP/DSD/SACD/BD/etc. that their bank account balance is insufficient in fulfilling the audio goal.

Imaging: Audio reproduction that is so real, the listener feels as if he/she is at the recording venue with musicians placed where the music is recorded....until he/she moves their head +/- 0.5" in X/Y/Z direction.

*I think these are from my personal b!tch!ng sessions
                                        Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                        Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                        B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                        Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                        Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• wkhanna
                                          • Jan 2006

:roflmao:

Excellent, HedgeHog.

These are exactly what I was looking for!!!
                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• stevek
                                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                            Now there is a 'truism' if I ever heard one!

Let it be known, however, that there are actually those among us who have partners with significant, if uncommon, tolerance levels.
                                            not mine lol

Comment

• PewterTA
                                              • Nov 2004

Endgame: Spending obscene amounts of money to finally reach the point where you no longer have a desire to perform any more upgrades to your system. Typically occurs when you hear a system that is 10x the price of your current system. Edit Also associated with an empty wallet.
                                              Last edited by PewterTA; 04 August 2013, 13:05 Sunday.
                                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                              -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

Or maybe Endgame: When your wallet is empty?

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"