X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattburk
    • Feb 2003

Need 4 Subwoofer Designs for DIY RLP 15's

My brother and I are planning on going subwoofer crazy. We want the best
    Possible design for function and sound for the components we have chosen.
    We do have a professional wood worker ready to build the cabinets for us, but I would like to give him the dimensions as he is not an audio guy. I would love some plans almost on the level of subwoofer building for dummies. We are going to use 13ppl Baltic birch.
    Would you be willing to give us a basic design matched for optimal output and accuracy?

These are the subs I would like to have our wood worker build now:

Sub 1:

A sealed dual rlp15" soundsplinter with the adire 1200 watt plate amp:

The drivers would be both front firing one on top of the other, ideally as far off of the floor as possible.
    As far as the internals, I would plan on supporting the magnet so to relieve some of the weight stress from the front baffle.
    I would like to use a magnet attached front grill, or some other unique design for the grill. Any great grill ideas are much appreciated.

Sub 2:

Single driver sealed soundsplinter rlp5 with the parts express 1000watt amp

As much as possible I would want the height to be close to the average end table, to help it fit into the room’s décor.

Sub 3:
    A dual driver sub, with different sized drivers with a built in crossover:
    Why do we never see subs with different sized powered drivers?
    Can you build a dual driver 15” &12 or 15” & 18” in the same cabinet if they are both wired in parallel? If the difference in internal air pressure causes an issue, why can’t you build a single box dual driver, dual sealed chamber sub? If you did that can you add an internal crossover to split every thing up between lets say 40 and below to the 18 and 40 and above to the 15? If this is a good idea, what drivers would you go with, and how would you configure it? If this is not a good idea, please just let me know. I was thinking about a down firing 18 (if there are some great 18’s out now) and a front firing 15.
    If dual 15's would be just as good then I would not mess with this one, but I think this idea has some merit to it.

Sub 4:
    Single driver rlp 15, with the same 1000watt parts express amp, but with a 15/18 passive radiator, or ported like the wide mouth port on the axiom ep 500. I am not sure what to use for the wide mouth port. What design would be better overall between these two?

So, points to consider:
    1. I am willing to pay you for the ultimate design.
    2. I want each sub to have a grill.
    3. Its fine to have a 1" overhangs on the top front and bottom if you think that helps cosmetically to hide screen edges.
    We want these subs to look as good as possible (our cabinet builder should be
    able to take care of that, but I am talking about the design not finish.
    4. I like to have the drivers off the ground as much as possible without making the single cubes to tall looking.

Thanks for your time.
    Matthew Burklund
    www.mycstone.com
    www.coverednow.com
    www.biarenton.com
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

Out of curiosity, why go with the plate amps over a pro amp? From what others suggested to me, pro amps are the better choice (not to metion more power for the money.)

Comment

• Dotay
      • Oct 2004

Do you want one sub out of these 4 proposed designs or are you saying you want to build one of each and want to know the best design of each of the proposed ideas?

Do you have budget/size constraints? If no on the size constraints copy steve nn's design here.

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

I've started a dual driver dual 4 ohm RL-p 15" project myself, I have the ADA 1200 and will documemt it's progress as it goes.

my outer dimensions are 24" X 24" X 43 inches, all doubled up 3/4 mdf.

I'll be remote-mounting the ADA 1200 this time.

Comment

• mattburk
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
          Out of curiosity, why go with the plate amps over a pro amp? From what others suggested to me, pro amps are the better choice (not to metion more power for the money.)
          Fan noise and cost. It seems the quiet amps are fairly spendy.
          www.mycstone.com
          www.coverednow.com
          www.biarenton.com

Comment

• mattburk
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Dotay
            Do you want one sub out of these 4 proposed designs or are you saying you want to build one of each and want to know the best design of each of the proposed ideas?

Do you have budget/size constraints? If no on the size constraints copy steve nn's design here.
            We are going to build at least two of each design. We are looking for the best design for each one.
            Budget: I already have the rlp 15's, I was looking at spending about $700 for the adire 1200watt amp & $350 for the dayton 1000watt amps.
            We also have the 13pl bb. We do not have the amps yet but as far as budget is concerned that should give you a good idea.
            Size constraints are'nt really a issue. Thanks for the link on steve nn's. I will check it out.
            www.mycstone.com
            www.coverednow.com
            www.biarenton.com

Comment

• mattburk
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Bent
              I've started a dual driver dual 4 ohm RL-p 15" project myself, I have the ADA 1200 and will documemt it's progress as it goes.

my outer dimensions are 24" X 24" X 43 inches, all doubled up 3/4 mdf.

I'll be remote-mounting the ADA 1200 this time.
              Sounds good, that sounds about the same size we were thinking about for our dual driver, not too tall but just enough. Let me know how it goes.
              www.mycstone.com
              www.coverednow.com
              www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I think you can get one of the quieter pro amps for around 350. Thats prety spendy for a plate amp if you ask me.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                  I think you can get one of the quieter pro amps for around 350. Thats prety spendy for a plate amp if you ask me.
                  Agreed. Also, spending $350 more dollars for 200 more watts seems pretty crazy. I'd opt for the pro amp and some sort of EQ, which is extremely important for a sub. The Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro is the best bang for your buck EQ. They recently discontinued them but you can get them off Ebay.

Here's an example of what $350 can get you shipped for a pro amp. I have one like this and did a 15 minute mod on it with a resistor to slow down the fans a little. Now you can't even hear them:

Get the guaranteed best price on Powered PA Speakers like the American Audio DLS-15P 15" 2-Way Powered Speaker at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Mazeroth
                    The Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro is the best bang for your buck EQ. They recently discontinued them but you can get them off Ebay.
                    They still have the FBQ2496 - "new" model BFD, it's about $140.
                    Danish

Comment

• mattburk
                      • Feb 2003

I was looking at this amp: 1024watts @ 4ohms for $349.77, for the single driver subs.

Part of the issue here is we are going to build a few of them and want it to be user friendly. I think my family would prefer a one box design.

That crown does look like a great option for the dual driver as it does put out the same power as the ada1200 for 250 less. The ada does have eq, but nothing to the extent of the Behringer.
                      Thanks for the link to the crown.
                      correction the ada is $599 not 700, but point still taken-thanks
                      www.mycstone.com
                      www.coverednow.com
                      www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Bent
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2003

I started my enclosure two nights ago, so far I have 3 sides, the rear panels and 1/3rd of the interior braces installed.

Comment

• noah katz
                          • Dec 2005

"Why do we never see subs with different sized powered drivers?"

This would require careful design/testing involving different cabinet volumes, port tunings if vented, separate amps, etc.

And if all thios was accomplished, I don't see what the advantage would be; you could likely get the same performance with a lot less trouble with a differently spec'd pair of the same driver.
                          ------------------------------
                          Noah

Comment

• FlashJim
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by mattburk
                            I was looking at this amp: 1024watts @ 4ohms for $349.77, for the single driver subs.
                            http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-808
                            $398.80 for 1 - 3, $349.77 for 4+
                            Jim

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Single driver rlp 15, with the same 1000watt parts express amp, but with a 15/18 passive radiator, or ported like the wide mouth port on the axiom ep 500.
                              There are no commercially available trick flared outlets for slot ports. If you want to use PR's you'll need 3-15"s, or 2-18"s to match up with a single RL-p15". So PR's quickly raise the price of admission

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mattburk
                                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by FlashJim
                                $398.80 for 1 - 3, $349.77 for 4+
                                yep, I would buy enough to get that price.
                                www.mycstone.com
                                www.coverednow.com
                                www.biarenton.com

Comment

• FlashJim
                                  • Apr 2006

Stuck on the plate amp, huh?
                                  Jim

Comment

• mattburk
                                    • Feb 2003

Thanks again Thomas, I would go with the 2 18's, with the single rlp15.
                                    Would these be the best ones to go with?

And as far as internal cabinet volume, what would your recommend with a rlp 15 & two 18 passives?
                                    www.mycstone.com
                                    www.coverednow.com
                                    www.biarenton.com

Comment

• ThomasW
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Yep those are the ones to use. About the smallest box for a design like this would be 24" cube (external measurements). I'm sure Kyle will run the numbers for you to adjust the weights on the PR's and recommend a tuning frequency. I'd go with 15Hz if the PR's can handle that much weight.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"