X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

$1000.00 ear buds?

How many pair do you need? From CES. I couldn't easily just copy a picture of it, hopefully you get there below...

Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

They're the last picture on the list, so click the rightmost thumbnail to get to the earbuds. For those who don't want to see all the gadgets.

I think I'll stick with my $20 Sony earbuds. Comfy and sound great (much better than Apple's).

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

well, they were seinheisser, so they are probably pretty darn good at least. But that's to rich for my blood.
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I might if they were good enough. My earbuds retailed for $450, although I didn't pay that for them.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Not unless I won the lotto. I only use earbuds for exercise and my 16$ pair (retailed for 50$) are more than adequate for my needs. For those who prefer them to traditional headphones, they might be worth it (I might spend that much on a pair of headphones someday, if/when resources allow, but I can't imagine doing it for earbuds).

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

I had an opportunity to listen to all the major brands (higher end) of headphones at the same time using the same source (I'm talking about full size cans here...not buds) and I can tell you this.......The Grado's won hands down. I may be biased however because I own a pair of Grados myself!. The Grado's in my opinion come as close to 'real' live speaker presentation as you can get with 'cans'.....especially if you use a headphone amp with them.
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• HedgeHog
              • Dec 2008

Professional IEMs often cost more than 1K. So while the price may not be anything surprising, those particular Sens don't look any special though.
              Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
              Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
              B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
              Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
              Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Dan, everyone has different opinions and preferences on sound so while they might be the best to you, others may find a different style to sound better. Some people don't like open cans, while others do. It's all a preference. I actually know people that prefer IEM's over cans in general.

Comment

• HedgeHog
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by madmac
                  I had an opportunity to listen to all the major brands (higher end) of headphones at the same time using the same source (I'm talking about full size cans here...not buds) and I can tell you this.......The Grado's won hands down. I may be biased however because I own a pair of Grados myself!. The Grado's in my opinion come as close to 'real' live speaker presentation as you can get with 'cans'.....especially if you use a headphone amp with them.
                  Hi Dan,

Which Grado did you prefer and which other headphones have you compared them with? I am tempted by the new Audeze and HiFiMan headphones. I've borrowed a couple of top Grados (HP1 and RS1 or RS1000....can't recall, they were my bro-in-law's) and love them but curious to see what's the latest and greatest.

FWIW, I have the lowly SR60 and feel these are the best values out there (maybe along with Koss Porta Pros).

-H
                  Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                  Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                  B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                  Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                  Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Finleyville
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Hdale85
                    Dan, everyone has different opinions and preferences on sound so while they might be the best to you, others may find a different style to sound better. Some people don't like open cans, while others do. It's all a preference. I actually know people that prefer IEM's over cans in general.
                    I am one of those people. I travel extensively and need earbuds. One day I will opt for some custom IEM's probably the Miracles from Unique Melody . But until then I am really enjoying my Westone 4's .
                    BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                      Hi Dan,

Which Grado did you prefer and which other headphones have you compared them with? I am tempted by the new Audeze and HiFiMan headphones. I've borrowed a couple of top Grados (HP1 and RS1 or RS1000....can't recall, they were my bro-in-law's) and love them but curious to see what's the latest and greatest.

FWIW, I have the lowly SR60 and feel these are the best values out there (maybe along with Koss Porta Pros).

-H
                      I own the Grado Prestige series SR 80 model. They sound fabulous to my ears and are, in my opinion, a benchmark as to how properly set up speakers should sound in a room (bass included). If I could go back in time, I would have bought their SR 120's back then just so I know I have their best. The SR120's still exist today and they sounded the best out of around 20 sets of headphones I tried, using the same source..... all of which retailed for $300-400 dollars. There's no doubt in my mind that the SR60's are great cans as well and probably the best bang for the buck......especially if they are the older ones. I recently replaced my foam surrounds on my SR80's and the guy at the shop said that mine were " worth something" and somewhat of a 'collectors item' at this point. ;x( (Circa early 1990's)

The big difference I found in all of the headsets I listened to is musical transparency and accurate bass response. Some had good bass but lacked in transparency. Others had the transparency but lacked in Bass or good, clean treble as well. The Grados presented (and present!) everything perfectly to my ears. Although I use in ear buds for outside, they will never be able to produce good, deep bass compared to what full size cans can do.

Another interesting note is that ALL CD's sound good with my Grado's , whereas when I play some CD's 'live' via my speakers, probably because of room acoustics, they don't work for me. Headphones take away the whole issue of room acoustics.
                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"