X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Need an Ear Full of Advice

I am often at my brother’s house, and see my 12 yo niece with ear-buds permanently attached to her head. I have discussed the potential harm that can be associated with prolonged use of these devises, especially at elevated sound levels with both her and my brother.

Since I never use them, I was wondering if anyone knew of a brand or model of earphones that were of a high quality that may be less harmful over the long run. I realize as does she, that nothing less than using them at reasonable levels will help prevent possible damage to her hearing, but thought you guys may know of some products that are better suited, or if you have an opinion on whether having a higher quality of earphones might motivate her to listen at slightly reduced level.

TIA
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Not much sure if I can help, but most of the new ear-buds are the rubber seal type and they seal out much of the ambient noise. I have two, an old Sony EX70 which I really like, and a set that came with my MP3 player. I haven't done any critical listening, but they both sound pretty good. At the time my Sony's were about the cost of the MP3 player I bought, about $50.

What I would do is bring along your SPL meter, hook it up to one of the buds, and take a reading of the SPL level it is putting out. Now because it is right close to the mic, it might give a slightly higher reading than actual, but I think it will still bring the point home.

Also print out the OSHA SPL level for work.

O.S.H.A., (Occupational Safety & Health Administration), was created to make sure that employers keep a safe working environment for their employees. This federal law applies to all private employers, regardless of company size. Also, many states have their own OSHA type laws, which are more strict than the federal OSHA. OSHA states that sound levels should not exceed 85/90 dB SPL (decibels of sound pressure level) for no longer than 8 hours. Levels higher than that would require the exposed person to wear hearing protection.

Here is a typical breakdown of OSHA guidelines for maximum time exposure for potential hearing loss and/or permanent damage. (Regulation # 1910.95 - Occupational Noise Exposure)

90 dB SPL - 8 hours
    95 dB SPL - 4 hours
    100 dB SPL - 2 hours
    105 dB SPL - 1 hour
    110 dB SPL - 30 mins.
    115 dB SPL - 15 mins.
    115 dB and higher - 0 mins. - (Pain Threshold) - In other words, instant permanent hearing damage.
    If I recall correctly, hearing damage is cumulative. So she won't experience the problem right away, but as you age you will notice a degradation of hearing.

I know I have some hearing degradation from listening to my walkman. I don't think it is much, as some frequencies I can really hear, but others, (like my wifes' voice ) seem to be almost invisible.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Alloroc
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

I've got two portable headphone types.... I have a pair of Shure buds and a pair of Sennheiser noice cancellation headphones. Here are my experiences with them.

The Shure's are their top of the line consumer model - the SE530s and the audio quality is absolutly fantastic. They have a few different sleeves available - multiple different rubber and foam sleeves but I prefer the memory foam ones. It does isolate a reasonable amount of ambient noise but not as much as you would think. On a train they're OK but on a plane you have to increase the volume to dangerous levels to hear the music imo. Really good at streetlevel

Now, my Sennheiser n/c 'phones (PXC300), while sound great are nowhere near as good as the Shures. However, the noise cancellation really does shut out a lot of ambient noise - particlarly lower frequencies. Absolutly perfect for commuting and especially on planes. I find that I keep the volume at sensible/lower levels.

So, a number of companies sell n/c earbuds - I wonder would these work for her? Thing is, these headphones are battery operated and could be deemed too fussy or awkward. Worth checking out some more though.
      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Russ L
        • Jul 2006

Try to get her to switch away from the earbuds to something like the iGrado open design. There more comfortable than earbuds IMO and way better sound. Most importantly they are probably? less damaging to the ears due to lower distortion= clearer sound and the open air design? I try to keep my kids away from headphones/buds tho even if it means buying them good speakers.
        See: iGrado
        Russ

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

To Isolate or Not to Isolate that is the question. ;h When listening in noisy environments probably best to use isolated phones, or she'd probably be tempted to turn them up more in louder environments. And, then in quiet environments some high quality phones like Russ mentioned would be nice ... like for listening at home.
          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Finleyville
            • Sep 2006

Wait. I have listened to you playing your music at your house and you are concerned about someone else's hearing?! :rofl:

I, too, have a pair of Shure's. I have the predecessor to the SE530's: the E5's. I also think they are the bomb. The eartips I use are rubber tri-flanges. They pretty much isolate all outside noise. In fact when I woodwork with power tools I use them as earplugs with my PDP. This allows me to choose a lower volume with my music because I am not competing with the outside noise.

Of course, this all depends on the end user. If she wants to listen to her music loud then she will bear the end consequence. I know I am right now...
            BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I bought Diana some Bose ear buds and they are very comfy and of good quality. I know everyone hates Bose but their headphones are quite good Not the cheapest earbuds though! Cheaper then Shures.....

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Finleyville
                Wait. I have listened to you playing your music at your house and you are concerned about someone else's hearing?! :rofl:
                Jeez......a guy shows off a little when his buds come over and next thing you know, he gets a rep for life!

Seriously, though, my typical SPL for music is ~ 65 to 75 dB.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Just an update, I got my niece a set of the IGrado’s and she seems to like them a lot.

I had her listen to some tracks on her I Pod and then had her give me the headset so I could judge the listening level she was using. Thankfully, it was quite moderate and in my estimation below any potentially damaging loudness.

Thanks again to all for your help!
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"