X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agrippa
    • Dec 2005

Multi room question

I am not sure where I should post this but here it is.

I want to add one room to my current setup.

I have a high end Denon receiver in my Home Theater setup. I want to add a rec room which isn't far away.

I still want to have home theater sound in the one room but just stereo sound in the rec room for music.

here is my one idea so far http://www.amazon.com/Monster-SS-6-S...=2OS99MAW4VCHF

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a cheap quality speaker switcher?

Or do I have to make some simple switch?

Thanks
    Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
    Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Well, the absolute easiest thing would be, does your Denon receiver have a "2nd room" feature? Most good receivers nowadays do, where it acts like a 2nd receiver inside the box, selecting and outputting audio (and sometimes video) to a 2nd room. Sometimes you can even get it to put out amplified audio to the 2nd room speakers.

Then you wouldn't even need any new components, just use what you already got.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

If you don't have a Zone 2 like Chris suggested, the problem with doing it the way you want to do it is, you'll have to set the Denon to stereo or 5ch stereo everytime you want to listen to the other area. Otherwise, any important signal information going to the center channel will not be heard in the other room.

Plus, room/speaker differences considered, you might find that to get the rec room loud enough will require blasting the main room. So if you had to go this route, look for a speaker switcher with volume controls built in. The does present another problem in that the volume control will not effect the other speakers in the surround room nor the subwoofer.

So post up the model of your Denon and we can tell you the best route to take.

Kevin D.

Comment

• agrippa
        • Dec 2005

Denon AVR3802... It is over a decade old. Most likely not the top of the line any more.

Here is a like to the owners manual.

We intend on only listening to music in one room at a time. not both. I also don't mind having to switch between 5 channel and 2 channel, if that is what it takes.

Thanks
        Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

If you are just using 5 speakers in the surround room, I think you are in luck.

Hook the new set of speakers to the center-back/multi speaker outputs.

Then check out page 10:

Set Power-Amp assignment: Multi

Page 15:

Set Multi-vol level: Variable

Page 26:

Controlling the source and volume for the second zone.

Also note that only analog sound will be available on the multi-zone speakers. So if your DVD/CD player is only hooked up with a digital cable, you will need to run analog cables to the analog inputs as well.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Ask the forum here, and you shall receive....
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• agrippa
              • Dec 2005

I will give that a try, thank you. It may be a couple weeks before I get to it. I am redoing everything audio related in our house. If it doesn't work I will be back.
              Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"