X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Schiit Happens

It has been a vision for years. Now, with Dan’s (PewterTA) help, it is becoming a tangible reality. At this point, the soundcard & all the required software is configured on the new home server (thanks to Dan) and I have begun transferring and organizing all my music files to Foobar FLAC. All the cabling is now in place. I will be able to access and run my entire music library from anywhere within my router’s range to my laptop. By this evening I will be playing any of my lossless files up to 24/192 thru my system at the touch of a button. The only piece missing from the puzzle is the DAC. As per Fedex Tracking, it is currently on the on the front porch, delivered this AM.

Dan & I looked at a lot of DAC’s. I wanted performance at a level comparable to his Cambridge Audio 840c. The original DacMagic was an obvious contender but its presentation while good, is still one notch below the 840c. Another was the Furutech GT40. Along with the recently updated DacMagic Plus, these both looked to be solid contenders. However, many of the features included with both fulfilled no use in my system. I would be spending money for stuff that I would never use. I also looked at the other usual suspects in the under $700 range offered by such recognizable companies like PeachTree, HRT, Music Hall & Music Fidelity. Without having the opportunity to audition I narrowed my selection by focusing on some basic requirements. I wanted a DAC only, no other bells or whistles. I did not want to be paying for things I do not need or want. And I surely did Not want up-sampling. Up-sampling is like letting someone else mess with your tone controls. You never get the actual data from the original recording. It is processed, adulterated with added data of events that did not occur. It is not ‘better’. It is different. An audible equivalent to journalistic Photoshoping. It is not the true music that was recorded. If you want something more than the truth, there are many out there who are willing to oblige you. And profit handsomely from it in the process.

Time and again, I was drawn back to the Bifrost for many reasons. It does all the things I want it to, and none that I do not. It will play my HiRez files up to 24/192. It does not up-sample. It has a built-in power supply. I like that. The last thing I need is another wall wart that would eventually be replaced by a worthy PS anyway. Then there is the pedigree. The company is run by Jason Stoddard, who was with Sumo, and Mike Moffat, who could be considered the Father of the stand-alone DAC. And then there is the fact that all of their products are designed and built in the USA. One of the other things that impressed me was the business plan and ‘no BS’ mission statement. Then add the fact that these guys have a real sense of humor. Funny that during my life I have found that those I have met who possessed a true, authentic sense of humor have always been the most intelligent people I ever met. Add the fact that during the email conversations I have had with Jason, his reply time never exceeded 20 minutes. Even on a Saturday. Now throw in that the Bifrost is upgradable. Should Jason and Matt decide to offer improvements to the circuit, it is a simple matter of swapping out the digital board. Additionally, should I decide for some reason to add USB 2.0 input to the DAC, that option is available with a modular USB board that plugs in to the unit with a few minutes tinkering for $100. The USB option can also be ordered with the unit. After I added everything up, it became a no-brainer.

The Bifrost will be waiting for me when I get home from work today. I will provide updates as the installation, burn-in and evaluation proceeds.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 29 February 2012, 14:46 Wednesday. Reason: 24/192 was 24/194
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

It has to be killing you that you're sitting at work all day while it's sitting in the front door...

Good thing you sound like you're getting sick...........................
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

Cough!@*%@
      Cough!*&$@$
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
        I also looked at the other usual suspects in the under $700 range offered by such recognizable companies like PeachTree, HRT, Music Hall & Music Fidelity.
        Hi Bill,

Which Musical Fidelity DAC did you consider / audition?

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

Hi Nigel.

I considered two (neither of which I had the opportunity to audition):

The V-DAC MkII paired with the Pangea P100 power supply at ~ $430.

And the M1-A 24/192K Async at a slightly over-budget of $750.

Both of these units were up-sampling, however. Otherwise, I would have given great consideration to the M1-A.
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

I Have Some Schiit on My Hands

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

Wow, that is some piece of Schiit you bought Bill. Look forward to your listening impressions.

Is that a person's name? The poor Schiit has my sympathies.
              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

I...well Bill basically did it himself with me giving him a little advice...but he got the schiit hooked up already and is listening.

Everyone agrees with the 100hr breakin time for the BiFrost before it really comes together, but to Bills highly trained ears... and from what I could hear over the phone... it sounded pretty much as good as the Cambridge Audio 640c that he has! So as a starting point... that's not a bad place to start!
                -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                  .... but to Bills highly trained ears... and from what I could hear over the phone... it sounded pretty much as good as the Cambridge Audio 640c.........
                  :rofl:

Installation was a no-brainer, except for an IT challenged dork like this old fart. After a few phone consults with Dan, I had everything up and running. I will let him give the details on the sound card and other ‘geek’ level info. What I can tell you is that I am using the SPDIF output via a laboratory grade glass toslink cable to the Bifrost. I did not purchase the USB 2.0 option simply because after much research I felt I could obtain better sound quality via optical while avoiding the expense of a high end (read expen$ive) USB cable.

The Bifrost has been burning in since yesterday. Tonight is the first I have had opportunity just to sit, relax & listen.

First up was a well recorded, quiet, live session of a performance here in Pittsburgh by Billy Taylor & Gerry Mulligan at the Manchester Craftsman Guild . It is a venue I have been to many times. Great care was taken with the design of the hall to accommodate live performances and state-of-the-art recording technology.

Compared to my Cambridge Audio 640c v2 CDP which incorporates a dual differential configuration of Wolfsan chips the Bifrost presents a much cleaner, detailed sense with the micro-dynamics. There is an air in the music that reflects the hall that is V familiar to me. It is unmistakable. The high end is visceral, but smooth at the same time. The sense that this is a live recording is evident to the point that I feel I am a part of it.

It is not blowing the 640 out of the water, but at the moment, it just sounds better…..more real.

There is much listening to be done, and this first impression, while pleasing, will be followed by many hours more of evaluation by many sets of ears. But for the time being, this Schiit don’t stink.

Last edited by wkhanna; 02 March 2012, 12:55 Friday. Reason: add link
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                    • Sep 2009

You're not using EAC to rip your CDs?

I mean, it's not necessary, but it's second to none for ensuring that you're not copying over any errors.
                    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

Dan & I are using dBpoweramp to rip and convert. We like it better than EAC, which we used exclusively for years. It manages files easier, preserves ID tags, automatically brings in the album artwork and has redundant bit to bit verification from an online database (AccurateRip). We then import the files to Foobar.
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

For clarification the following is a breakdown of how my digital system is now configured. I need to check with Dan for details on the soundcard. Thus far, absolutely no issues with drop-outs or crashes. :T

Dan does V good work. ;x(

SeeDee W/ FLAC Conversion via dBpoweramp & Imported HiRes files > NAS File Storage > Foobar File Management & Control > SoundBlaster Audigy 2 XS Sound Card ASIO4all > SPDIF Silflex Glass Optical > Bifrost DAC > Cat Cables- Kingcats RCA I/C's > Carver C-19 Pre-amp > Kingcats RCA I/C's > Rotel RB-1090 > NatP 65 litre Towers

A new thing for me is running HiRes 96 kHz/24 bit files on my system for the first time. I also can now stream internet radio directly thru my main system. It is surprising to me how many are using high bandwidth. The SQ is quite good on some of the channels I have tried.
                        Last edited by wkhanna; 05 March 2012, 17:42 Monday. Reason: added sound card model
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

I believe the soundcard is a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 XS that you're playing with...it's the one step before the ones that are out now. It's capable of full 24/192 out and I think only 24/96Khz in..... or something like that.

SeeDees only get the dbPowerAmp conversion... not the hi-res files.
                          -Dan

Comment

• Johnloudb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2007

I also can now stream internet radio directly thru my main system. It is surprising to me how many are using high bandwidth. The SQ is quite good on some of the channels I have tried.
                            I've been impressed with internet radio at times ... sure beats FM.
                            John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                              • Jan 2006

I believe the soundcard is a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 XS that you're playing with...it's the one step before the ones that are out now. It's capable of full 24/192 out and I think only 24/96Khz in..... or something like that.

SeeDees only get the dbPowerAmp conversion... not the hi-res files.
                              Thanks for the clarification, Dan!
                              I have eddited the above post to match.
                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Creative does ok on the hardware front, but they sure don't know a damn thing when it comes to software/drivers lol.

They have that X-Fi chip which should be awesome, but the creative version of the card kind of sucks where as Auzentek came out with a card that uses the same chip and is quite remarkable as far as PC sound cards go.

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                  I've been impressed with internet radio at times ... sure beats FM.

Your kidding right???!!!...........Internet radio ROCKS !! :T
                                  Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2007

Originally posted by madmac
                                    Your kidding right???!!!...........Internet radio ROCKS !! :T
                                    Kidding? No, I was dead serious! It does rock, assuming you get good station/content ... not hard to do with all the channels all over the world.
                                    John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

Everyone agrees with the 100hr breakin time for the BiFrost before it really comes together
                                      The Bifrost has been running 24/7 since Monday, and we are now at the 100 hour mark.

It has definitely smoothed out some. I notice it most in the high and mid range. What has not changed is the speed and detail. The overall balance may be the slightest bit light in low mid & V bottom range, however the accuracy and clean, snappy kick in percussive detail is absolutely amazing. String bass, Congo, bass drum and synthesized bass is extremely musical and alive with enough raw power to maintain the overall natural essence. With acoustic material, the bottom truly shines. I have no desire what so ever to tweak any extra bass via the tone knob. I will take musicality, tonality and timing over ‘big boom’ every time.

The highs are silky, but still V sharp and crisp. Exquisite detail with no grain, no ‘edge’ typically associated with digital. This is the area where digital can induce listening fatigue. Not so with this DAC.

The mid range started out great, now it is true as life. Voices ring clear and true. Brass and woodwinds shimmer and shine. Strings are full of percussive quality, as they should be.

Regarding depth, nothing has changed. My system has always had a V deep sense, attributed to the pre-amp and speakers. Same with stage width. And focus may actually be bettered. If it is on the source material, it is in my room. And if the source material is sub-par, the result will be displayed in spades. I noticed it right away with my ‘Trombone Shorty’ rip. Brick-Walled mixing will hit you like a……well, like running into brick wall. Bifrost will not hide any flaw. In other words, the Bifrost is adding nothing. Nor is it demanding tithe in return for tonality or musicality. It is totally transparent in my system.

If I were to condense my overall opinion into one word (that would be a first) I would have say ‘detail’. The Bifrost is delivering an amazing sense of life, truth and realness that is unexpected at this price.
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2004

I'm not in the market for a DAC (I like the ones in my AVR just fine) but I visited the site out of curiosity--they have a sense of humour. I did come away intrigued by their headphone amps--I've been wanting to try out tube gear and it seems like a reasonably priced way to do so. Probably be a few years before I tackle such a project, but it's good to know about their gear.

Happy listening.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                          • Nov 2004

I just took a big Schiit over at Bills....but he caught me and made me return it................................................ .........................................

I finally got to hear the BiFrost in action last night and it's VERY VERY nice. Honestly, it can all be summed up as, "How can it produce this sound for only $350?!!?"

It is one of the best sounding DACs I've heard at the price range it's coming in at... Both Bill and I were talking about how musical and sweet the highs and mids are witht his. The bass is nice and tight and accurate and quick as well. We did notice that we don't think the bass coming from the unit is as pronounced as from the CA 640c v2 CDP...but that could be from not upsampling or just an inferior DAC in the CDP that makes things bloated.

We both agree that my CA 840c CDP as a DAC has a much better lower end...but the rest is over all on part I would think. Course no A/B has been done with them...but I would say the BiFrost is not far behind. And when you consider the CDP is about $1,400 and the BiFrost at $350... that's a heck of a value.

It really makes me wanting Schiit Audio to really hurry up with the Statement DAC they have in the works. At that point the CA 840c might have to leave town to another satisfied owner.....
                                          -Dan

Comment

• madmac
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2010

I just took a big Schiit over at Bills....but he caught me and made me return it................................................ .........................................

I finally got to hear the BiFrost in action last night and it's VERY VERY nice. Honestly, it can all be summed up as, "How can it produce this sound for only $350?!!?"

It is one of the best sounding DACs I've heard at the price range it's coming in at... Both Bill and I were talking about how musical and sweet the highs and mids are witht his. The bass is nice and tight and accurate and quick as well. We did notice that we don't think the bass coming from the unit is as pronounced as from the CA 640c v2 CDP...but that could be from not upsampling or just an inferior DAC in the CDP that makes things bloated.

We both agree that my CA 840c CDP as a DAC has a much better lower end...but the rest is over all on part I would think. Course no A/B has been done with them...but I would say the BiFrost is not far behind. And when you consider the CDP is about $1,400 and the BiFrost at $350... that's a heck of a value.

It really makes me wanting Schiit Audio to really hurry up with the Statement DAC they have in the works. At that point the CA 840c might have to leave town to another satisfied owner.....
                                            High quality electronics will only get cheaper and cheaper!!. Except for Apple stuff of course because they want their money and they want a lot of it!!. :roll:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                                              High quality electronics will only get cheaper and cheaper!!
                                              That is good news.
                                              Good also that the consumer audio electronics industry is not full of charlatans. :W
                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                                Kidding? No, I was dead serious! It does rock, assuming you get good station/content ... not hard to do with all the channels all over the world.
                                                However I will say this, the other day I went for a walk with my PDA streaming Sky FM internet radio. After about 45mins of listening, it chewed 250 megs of data which is 1/4 of my monthly internet allotment of 1 gig!! Whoa !! :E Better to do it where there is wi-fi :T

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                  • Jan 2006

Schiit releases info on their 2nd gen DAC to be available mid year.

info

FAQ Page

Based on my Bifrost DAC, I will be placing a pre-order for this one.
                                                  Last edited by wkhanna; 30 March 2012, 00:00 Friday.
                                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                    • Nov 2004

Great!!! That means I won't have to get it! ha ha....

I might borrow your old schiit if you don't mind just so I can hear it on my system to do some comparisons with the CA 840c & V-Link! Then you can feel free to sell it! :P
                                                    -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                      • Jan 2006

I sence a schiit coming on

Schiit has just a few minutes ago anounced they are now taking orders for Gungnir, their 2nd DAC.
                                                      It is the mid-level in a line of 3, with their 3rd top of the line 'Statement' Dac due out sometime next year.
                                                      My order# 2408 has just been confirmed.

Yes, I know. They got some stupid names for their gear at first glance.
                                                      The theme is Norse mythology. Gungnir (pronounced goon-year) is actualy Odin's spear.

For those who give a crap about yet another sub-$1K DAC, more bull can be found here
                                                      Last edited by wkhanna; 05 September 2012, 16:04 Wednesday.
                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

That one looks pretty nice for the money. I guess the ESS Sabre isn't the only 32bit DAC anymore lol.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2007

What sources will you be using with it? Computer?
                                                          John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                            • Jan 2006

Hey John,

Same set-up I use now with the Bifrost:

8 TB RAID NAS > FLAC Foobar ASIO4ALL v2 > SoundBlaster Audigy 2 XS Sound Card > SPDIF Silflex Glass Optical Toslink > POS (piece of schiit)
                                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2007

Bill, you are so eloquent in describing Schiit's gear ... bet they would love you to write an advertising slogan for them. You know, something like "Once you've had your hands on our Schiit, you won't touch anyone else's."
                                                              John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                • Jan 2006

That's a good one, John!

I do not think I can beat the one they have, though...........

SCHIIT HAPPENS
                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2007

Oh, I didn't know they had that one ... that is good. :T
                                                                  John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                    • Jan 2006

My credit card co. froze my account and sent me an email telling me to call them right away.

When I did, they said there had been recent suspicious activity regarding the account.

It seems some company called ‘shit’ had posted a transaction in an amount higher than typically seen by the account. They wanted me to confirm that I was aware of the purchase and it was in fact a legitimate purchase.

True story, I schiit you not!

Hours later & I am still laughing.
                                                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• impala454
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2007

Haha awesome. I wonder if they get that problem a lot
                                                                      -Chuck

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                        • Nov 2004

So they basically told you, "this schiit doesn't seem right that's on your card."

At least their looking out for you...though it'll probably delay the shipment by a day or two.... lol
                                                                        -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 5673

Well, units are not to to begin shipping until next week at the earliest. I signed up on the pre-order list long ago. It allowed me get my order in just a little earlier than if I had waited till it was officially shipping. So it hopefully will not affect the arrival date.

But I felt bad for the poor girl on the other end of the line.

She is like, "Yes Sir, there is a charge from a company called SH.....ahhh.....Sheeee......errr...ah.....i'm not sure how to say......shhhhhyyyy".

I politely interrupted, but only after I left her floundering for longer than I should have, curmudgeon that I am. At least I did not laugh out loud at her.

I told her, "It is OK. And yes, it is pronounced just like you think. Don't worry. It is an honest company & I am aware that the order was placed".
                                                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 16075

Haha! That's great

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Dec 2000
                                                                              • 16877

#39
                                                                              No, really? That is WAYYYYY too funny.

I'm going to tell people that story.

So what'd you tell them? "Yes... I like to buy really good schiit."
                                                                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 5673

#40
                                                                                Just got email notice....
                                                                                My new Gungnir DAC was shipped today.
                                                                                Hope to have it by next weekend.
                                                                                When it arives, I'll start another thread full of all new schiit.
                                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• r100gs
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2005
                                                                                  • 321

#41
                                                                                  Just got email notice....
                                                                                  My new Gungnir DAC was shipped today.
                                                                                  Hope to have it by next weekend.
                                                                                  When it arives, I'll start another thread full of all new schiit.

So how is that schiit sounding? :W
                                                                                  Jay

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 5673

#42
                                                                                    Hi Jay!

Link to my Gungnir thread can be found here
                                                                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                      • Nov 2004
                                                                                      • 2901

#43
                                                                                      Bill HATES his new Schiit... I can tell. LMAO!!!
                                                                                      -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                      Search Result for "|||"