X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stockinv
    • Jan 2005

How Do I Obtain Good Advice?

Whenever I request a quote from my local hi-end A/V store regarding upgrading my equipment, I get the full gamut of xlr interconnects, speaker cables, HDMI cables, jumpers, power cords. surg protector, expensive blu-ray player, and associated labor to install it, resulting in a severe sticker shock. I'm told this is what is neccesary to maintain the quality with my components. My question is this. How does a rather unsophisticated person deal with all this and insure he's getting the proper bang for the buck? What is a reasonable discount for this type of equipment? The number of these stores is very limited in my community.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

HDMI...interconnects and speaker cables are the biggest rip off at these 'high end' audio stores. Do NOT buy your cables there!!!. Buy them at one of those electronic wholesale stores that sell these things at liquidation prices. Jezzus, I saw a HDMI cable yesterday at the dollar store!!. I bet it actually works!!. Not that I would use that cable though....I was just shocked to see one there is all!!. Remember one thing, digital is what it is at the end of the day.....1's and 0's. The 1's and 0's either get to the DAC or they don't. Unlike with analog, The quality of the sound in digital is NOT created by the cable but rather, the quality of the DAC's at work. Some might refute this statement but as far as I'm concerned....it is correct. :W

Buy your actual components and speakers at the 'high end' store and walk away!. If there is still sticker shock than upgrade one component at a time over a longer period of time. Best upgrade still and will always be speakers....followed next by the amp......then finally the players themselves. It took me years and years to get my system where I want it but I'm there now and happy!! :T
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Just to point out--the primary sponsor of this whole forum is Cat Cables, which you can find a link for at the top and bottom of the page. Doug at Cat makes better cables than most of the manufacturers out there, CUSTOMIZED to your needs, and for a lot less. Check them out.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Stockinv
        Whenever I request a quote from my local hi-end A/V store regarding upgrading my equipment, I get the full gamut of xlr interconnects, speaker cables, HDMI cables, jumpers, power cords. surg protector, expensive blu-ray player, and associated labor to install it, resulting in a severe sticker shock. I'm told this is what is neccesary to maintain the quality with my components. My question is this. How does a rather unsophisticated person deal with all this and insure he's getting the proper bang for the buck? What is a reasonable discount for this type of equipment? The number of these stores is very limited in my community.
        You did the right thing by asking here where you will get comments from those without a financial interest in your actions. Not all comments are without bias but enough so that you can figure it out.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Accessories are the name of the game in making money on electronics. Not that Best Buy is any comparison to a HT store, but I worked at one many moons ago and accessories is where they make all their money. The computers, TVs, AV equipment, etc, your "big" purchases are barely marked up much at all, usually around 5%. It's the cables, surge protectors, and various accessories that are marked up insane proportions. Some into the 1000% + range. And the employees are trained to upsell those items.
          -Chuck

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"