X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Video cable length?

Just wondering, how long a run can component cable be before losing signal? Just curious. I was thinking whenever I get a RPTV, I may have my equipment rack behind our seating area, so that means I would need a long run of component cable. So I'm thinking at least 15ft to make a nice hidden run. I'd probably need the same length for composite as well, but since that's just for VCR viewing it's not that important. Also, how much would that be? I know short lenghts of 3-6ft run anywhere from $50-$100, depending on brand.

Oh, I'm sitting down, so as to not get floored by sticker shock.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Paul, people have differing opinions in this area, but technically speaking, it's a 75 ohm signal, nothing more, nothing less. You should be fine up to about 12-14 meters anyway.

But what I dislike from a speaker perspective, is that if all your equipment is in the back, the speaker runs to the mains become much longer than I personally like. I like to maintain shorter runs for all cables possible. For rear projection, that means the equipment rack in the front. Now, if you have front projection, you could split your audio and video and have video in the back of the room and run 75 ohm coax for the digital audio connection to the front of the room. This means that your main speaker wires are minimized. Personally, I like maintaining less than 3 meter speaker length for all the front 3. The surrounds, being less important are the ones that get the long cable run.

Also Paul, don't be fooled into thinking you have to spend big bucks on cables. I think as long as a cable is 75 ohm, it can carry that video signal no problem. Of course for shorter runs, you can imcrease the quality of the wire. So, for rear projection, your right back to the front-

To me, that's what makes sense. Your milege may vary.

Lex

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Paul

Canare LV-61S is great video cable. And it only costs $.25/ft. Comes in many colors, so it's easy to keep the the runs identified. If you're at all handy with a soldering iron, you can make a complete component set for under $50. And that would include Canare gold plated solders on RCA's

Shop Video Production Gear, Audio Recording & Podcast Equipment, Lighting, Tactical Fiber, Blackmagic, Belden, Neutrik, Clear-Com, AJA, Shure, Teradek

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"