X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Industrial
    • Mar 2009

Need help! :)

I posted the bellow at another website. However I didn't get much replies as I don't think they know how serious this decision is for me. My dream speakers are B&W 803s but I will always need the extra funds for (new amp, new processor, home renovations, landscaping etc) I thought getting a pair of 7k speakers would get some attention but I guess not. I could get the 804d but I've hear them they sound amazing "for the size" but I want just more bang for my buck and get some floorsstanderd that sound even better. Besides used which i don't/can't deal with hassle my town has b&w speakers at one dealers totem at another ( wasn't too impressed) and the German company Aurum Phonologue (which I mention bellow)

I'm interested in perhaps getting a pair of the "Orkan" from Aurum phobologie model speaker that this German company sells. I've heard them but can't find reviews or anyone else talking about them online. I know I should just trust my ears but they costs such a large chunk of money to me I need a little reasurance. They would probably be in my system for atleast a decade. Doesn't matter what electronics I have now as they would slowly be updated to match them (using newer rotel stuff at the moment). Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • r100gs
    • May 2005

Nice looking speakers! Never heard of them. Wish I could help.
    Jay

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Is there a possibility of an in-home audition? That would be ideal - then you can trust YOUR ears in YOUR house.
      Danish

Comment

• Industrial
        • Mar 2009

I'm worried to asked about "borrowing" expensive speakers but I will find a way to ask.

Also these are the tech specs for them if that can help. I just don't get them when I try to compare it to a similar sized b&w speaker.

Technical Data:

Type: 3-way
        Design principle: pressure chamber/bass reflex
        Nominal/music power (W): 160/250 W
        Frequency response (Hz): 28...65.000 Hz
        Crossover frequency (Hz): 330/2700 Hz
        Efficiency (dB/1W/1m): 89 dB
        Impedance (Ohm): 4...8
        Tweeter: ribbon
        Midrange: 170 mm Ø ALTIMA®
        Woofer: 2x 170 mm Ø ALTIMA®

Note altima stands for a aluminum/titanium/magnesium composit.

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

I think these are the speakers?

Aurum makes good speaker drivers from what I've heard. They are probably good speakers, but that doesn't mean you'll like them.

Dealers and manufactures generally let you try out their expensive speakers before you buy. They understand that it's a big investment and peoples preferences, electronics, and listening environments are all different.

A 2 week to 30 day money back guarantee in pretty common. You should ask about it.

John
          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Okay, I was thinking of Aurum Cantus speaker company, but this is completely different it appears and those don't look like Aurum Cantus drivers.

But, they are probably good speakers. You say you've auditioned them and liked them, but in home auditions are your best bet.
            John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Industrial
              • Mar 2009

That's them. They sound smooth as hell very fast and precise. Only thing
              B&W have over them so far is the warmth of the midrange. Bass to my ears is much tighter on the Orkans. Played a cd I know well and it was first time a bass drum sounded "real" instead of just a "boom" sound.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

The 'boom' you hear is probably the standing wave bass frequency of the room and not so much the speaker. One speaker probably delivers that standing wave frequency better than the other so you hear it more. That issue is somewhat fixable via a EQ and room treatments.
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Industrial
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by madmac
                  The 'boom' you hear is probably the standing wave bass frequency of the room and not so much the speaker. One speaker probably delivers that standing wave frequency better than the other so you hear it more. That issue is somewhat fixable via a EQ and room treatments.
                  The "boom" I'm talking is on multiple high end speakers and various different places. I don't mean a loud club type boom I just mean the sound was "duller" then what I heard on the aurums. It's like these speakers focus just a little more on transient response vs a little more focus of the "bloom" of a sound.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"