• Show
Clear All
  • mrspis
    • Oct 2011

Aurum Cantus Tweeters

Witch tweeter is better?

Aurum Cantus AST30130 Aero Striction Tweeter 276-444

Aurum Cantus G1 Ribbon Tweeter 276-420

I see that Aurum Cantus AST30130 Aero Striction Tweeter is more expensive, and has better low end extension, but its not made of ribbon? That's what confuses me..

this is what i found

"However, after many decades (and countless product failures), we have learned that conventional long flat ribbons are to be avoided (even if they look impressive).
    Instead use many tiny collocated ribbons, working in unison.Some describe them as sandwich, bellows, folded or accordion ribbons."

So, if i understand correctly, Aero Striction Tweeter is superior to normal ribbon tweeter?

I like that the AST tweeter has crossing as low as 1.000hz, that's what i like the most about it! But i don't really know the difference between the classical ribbon tweeters (G1) and AST tweeters (AST30130)?

I also see that Aurum Cantus uses the AST in their best and most expensive speakers (NEW GRAND SUPREME, original GRAND SUPREME uses G1) so i assume that it is their top of the line tweeter?

I see by the picture comparison that AST is much wider than g1, so i assume that's why it has a much lower Recommended minimum crossover frequency: 1,000 Hz, in comparison to g1 which has Recommended minimum crossover frequency: 2,000 Hz, and that's what i really like about AST over the G1, it can be used as a partial midrange, with the right crossover.

AST http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7...upreme2530.jpg
    G1 http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7055/supremeo.jpg

What i don't understand is how NEW GRAND SUPREME can have Frequency Response 25Hz-40kHz when AST goes only to 22khz? That's whats bugging me over the G1, the G1 has freq response that goes as high as 40khz, so it can be used even as a super tweeter.

cheers
  • mrspis
    • Oct 2011

Anyone??????

Comment

• Bear
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2008

If the G1 shows a frequency response from 900Hz - 40kHz and requires a 2kHz crossover, I'd be skeptical of the Aero being able to cross as low as 1kHz. At that price point, I'd recommend considering the Raal tweeters if ribbon is what is required. The ScanSpeak Beryllium tweeter is also in that price range for a hard dome.
      Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

The AST is similar to the Heil tweeter elements I believe. It intrigues me, to be sure.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• craigk
          • Dec 2007

tweeters ???

i am ready to take the abuse, but, i have heard the raal tweeters in several designs, and i for one have not been blown away like everyone else seems to be. i think they are very nice, sound good, but not great. i have been listening to and playing music for 20 plus years. i have a good idea of what live musics sounds like. the raal's just do not reproduce the upper freq's correctly. i can not stand an overly bright top end, but the raal's are just missing something. there are several other very good, maybe better tweeters, that are much cheaper and easier to work with. just an opinion. thanks

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Just out of curiosity, what sort of systems have you heard them in? Voicing a tweeter within the context of a complete system isn't trivial, and you can obscure the benefit of a top flight tweeter with the wrong crossover components (in quality, not just network values).
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• craigk
              • Dec 2007

speakers with raal tweeters

so far i have listened to nn acoustics, kaiser, phil 3's, vapors, rick craig's veritas and bogdan. the vapors, veritas and bogdan speakers sounded very good. i also liked the kaiser speakers, but if i had 50,000 grand to spend i would buy the kaiser with the mundorf tweeter. as for tweeters and crossovers, i agree 100%, you can have the best tools in the world and if you can not use what you have they are useless. i am not downing ribbon tweeters, i really like them. i just find it very interesting that everyone likes a ribbon tweeter ( the Raal ) and the most common comment about them is "that they are ribbons that do not sound like ribbons. " i think that they sound very much like a very good 3/4 inch dome tweeter. i am not saying that the raal's are bad by any means, they are very good. i am just nat so sure that they are as good as the press they get. in the stereophile world it is very easy to get caught up in the " latest greatest thing to hit hte market syndrome." i have been guilty myself. thanks for a great forum.

Comment

• dlneubec
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

I had heard the Raals on a number of occasions and thought they sounded excellent, but a bit laid back. Then at the Chicago DIY event I heard the Vapor Breeze with one of the Raal's (don't recall which) and it was almost shocking how real/live it sounded, with a 3 dimensional quality I had never heard before. It really stood out amongst a lot of good tweeters we heard that day. I have always been skeptical of the Raals and ribbons in general, this changed my mind. I'm not sure I want to put out that kind of cash for them, however.

I'm hoping some of the new AMT/Aero striction tweeters can provide that kind of 3 dimensional sound.
                Dan N.

Comment

• dlneubec
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Here's another tweeter that has some serious potential. Its a ceramic dome from Transducer Lab, the NC26C-T.

Here are some independent measurements that Jeff Bagby has done of it. Amazingly flat infinite baffle response.
                  Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation
                  Dan N.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"