X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Tuner Problem

I've got a Linn Kudos tuner (circa 1996) that will not pick up any stations. Everything seems to work fine otherwise. I checked with Linn and they said to make sure it is configured to USA operation, which it is. Now, it is apparently something more complicated.

Any ideas? Out of alignment maybe?
    Danish
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Antenna attached?
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by madmac
      Antenna attached?
      Yes!
      Danish

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

Are both the AM and the FM not working? Is there static or no sound what so ever? Have you looked inside of it to see if the internal wires for the antenna are attached? Are the wires to the attenuator attached?
        When you say that it works fine except it doesn't pick up any stations, what does that mean? Lights go on?

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Neither AM or FM works and there is no static - it "pops" slightly when you manually bump the tuning a step. The insternal wiring appears to be OK.

"Works fine" is pretty loose - it powers up and all of the controls work.
          Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

I'm wondering if the power supply board may need new caps also. They don't look blown, but one may have a slight bulge. I also found an odd jumpering of a couple of pins on the bridge to the signal/tuning board.

Danish

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

IMHO, the jumpers are nothing to worry about.

OTOH, Buldges on caps are.
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

They don't look bad, but you can feel a difference in them. The one on the far right is flat and if you push lightly on the top, there is a little give to it. The one on the far left doesn'treally look bulged, but the top is very tight and it feels like the internals are pushing up.

I guess it could be good enough to power up the unit, but off-spec enough to keep it from running correctly?

Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Also (if it matters), the PSU board also contains the line out jacks.
                  Danish

Comment

• Bob
                    • Jul 2000

Hope you didn't pay much for it, or that you got it for free. You won't be able to get any support from Linn for repairs. And, unless it is something very simple like re-attaching a wire or replacing a capacitor that you can do yourself, the labor cost to repair it could exceed its' value.
                    It was Linns entry level tuner and not worth putting much money into it. You can find very good vintage tuners for sale for around $200 should you decide to throw the Kudos out but, still want a tuner and don't want to go the internet route or a pay for radio.

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I can check with Tom at 'Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh' to see if he has access to the schematic for your unit. If he does, his rates are ridiculously low enough that you may want to consider shipping it to him, assuming you have a reason to pursue a repair.
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

I think I paid $25 for it so I'm not worried, just tinkering. If I can't fix it myself, it'll probably just go in the trash, or give it to someone who wants to get it repaired.
                        Danish

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"