X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Bob's audio/record sale

This post is very premature but, I need a break from what I was doing.

I set up a little system a year ago that I could easily pack and move to New Orleans and now Wilmington N.C. My intent was always to use it as some kind of secondary system whenever we fully settled down.

Instead I plan on selling it to help finance my next documentary. In addition I have been going through my vinyl data base. I will be selling anything that I seldom or never listen too, and all duplicates. I was surprised to find that it added up to almost 500 albums and still left me with a little more than 3,000. Probably need to add more to the list.

Most of the duplicates are records I really like and wanted to make sure I had backups. Most are unopened. Many are rare like Roger Waters "Amused To Death", unopened Japanese pressings of pretty much all of Pink Floyds albums. Some rare jazz, some very rare classical, and unopened rare blues albums. Also, have framed unplayed albums that are R. Crumb jacket designs. What can I say, I lived the 60's well into the 80'. All my albums are immediatly cleaned and put into MSFL sleeves and new outer sleeves.

Equipment wise I have two Mapleshde Sampson stands that I will be selling. If you have never seen their stands in person, all I can say is the pictures on their website don't do them justice. The blocks of maple they use are just beautiful.

For source there is a VPI Scout with upgraded mini tnt feet, motor, motor conditioner, upgraded platter, ginko dust cover, benz cartridge, JMW arm, strobe and strobe disc, and lots of little odds and ends like cartridge cleaners, and stuff.

VPI record cleaner.

Hovland preamp with MC phono stage with my favorite SLN matched RAM tubes. This preamp is so good I don't know why I ever bought the Audio Research Ref 3 and the Manley Steelhead. I think I didn't really upgrade I only traded sideways at many times the price.

Also will be getting rid of a Woo Audio 6SE with all the power upgrades that they don't offer anymore and Sophia Princess Rectifier tube and matched nos driver tubes that you can search on the web for all day and never find. That will go with a pair of Sennheiser HD800 headphones.

Mcintosh 275 amp tricked out so it outputs 100 watts per channel. All tubes carefully matched.

Pair of Wilson Audio Duette's and matching stands. Only speakers I could find that can be put anywhere, shelf, stand, next to wall, away from wall, and still sound great. Figured they were good to have when you don't know where your going and what your listening area will be. Been perfect for traveling.

Anyways, just wanted to give a heads up in case anybody sees anything here of interest. I have been keeping track of my albums on Filemaker Pro and will try to pull out the ones that will be for sale and put them into a PDF file.

The equipment will go up for sale a few weeks before we head back to CA. The albums I have to wait until returning to CA. I only have a 5 boxes of them with me.
    Attached Files
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Jeez Bob!

Absolutely gorgeous system!

I would be thrilled with any piece.

My budget however will make it possible to vie only for some of your prized Jazz & Classical vinyl.

Yet, somehow I feel almost vulture-like in anticipating the possible purchase of some of your finer collection. It seems a sad venture breaking up such a wonderfully conceived and executed system & library of music.

Maybe you could tell us more about the project that has initiated your decision?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

Wkhanna,
      Once I go back to CA I will be getting my original audio room back. I still have my main system stored away. Letting my wife use it was temporary. She goes to garage sales and I didn't mind it when the attic became filled, then all the extra bedrooms. But, when it started to creep into my office and audio room we had a bit of a fight. I made her a deal. I would pack up my audio room and she could use it as a store for one year to thin out all of the "s***t" that was crowding out my stuff. In the words of the late George Carlin, "Have you ever noticed how other people's stuff is s***t and yours is stuff?" Bottom line I really won't need the stuff I am selling.

In regards to the records, I have been wanting to get mine down to a more manageable number for a long time. It doesn't make sense to me anymore to hold onto duplicates and records I don't ever listen to. I kept buying jazz records thinking that as I matured I would come to love them. Either I will never mature or jazz just isn't for me. Pretty much the same for classical. So, would love to see them go to someone that would actually listen to them.

The documentary won't be any big thing. Somewhat of a expansion on four little 10 minute stories I filmed a few years ago. Briefly, one of my truck drivers was a kid name Mike Hart. His brother was a old surfing partner of mine. Over the years that he drove for me he went to college then grad school and then seminary. He married a terrific woman, Carol and I helped them out to buy a little generator business to rent to motion pictures. Financially they were doing great. Between working for me and renting their generators they were able to buy a beautiful 5 bedroom house and Mike bought a massive diamond ring for Carol. But, they wanted to be missionaries. They were always talking about going to Japan to be missionaries.

Once we were talking and I told him about some disturbing things that I saw while working on a film in Thailand. He and Carol went over there to investigate, came back, they sold everything, even Carol's ring that she took such pride in, went back and started:

ZOE works to end child trafficking in three ways: prevention, rescue, and restoration. Our goal is to rescue children from human traffickers.

So basically the documentary will include the problem, a underground tour of the child sex trade (which is getting more and more difficult to penetrate), some rescues, some of our children, where they came from what their lives are now, how people can help, etc. More of a fund raiser film. Not something for the screen. Fortunately we have the connections to make it above average and it shouldn't bore our potential audience.

There will also be a little bit about another group I belong to:

Not For Sale is a global organization fighting modern slavery. We operate in 12 countries globally, and fight the causes of exploitation.

The emphasis will be on Zoe though.

On a lighter side. I included two pictures of my old stand alone audio room that I originally built for a home theater way back in first days of the fad. In fact that is how I met Lex but, that is another story. One is of the outside and one is of the inside after giving it over to my wife for her to ruin by filling it full of "c**p".
      Attached Files

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I've seen a few disturbing things with children in Thailand. nothing real bad, but sights that indicated to me that quite bad things were happening behind the scenes. Those sights have haunted me for years. I can't imagine trying to do a documentary on it!
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

I don't want to turn this into a information forum on slavery but, will be happy to answer any questions through PMs.
          I have more experience in this than I wish. The joy of watching our successes mixed with the heartbreak of our failures, including being the reason for a 6 year olds torture and death. Very hard to live with.
          It is a violent world and I have the physical scars and and rearrangement of the right side of my face to prove it.
          It isn't just Thailand, if you live in a large city I can say with almost %100 certainty that you are in proximity to a slave. That you have probably seen one and even interacted with one and didn't know it.

Let's talk about my wife filling my audio room with s***t instead. Or R. Crumb album covers.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bob; 20 May 2011, 16:32 Friday.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"