X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bf_brock
    • Jun 2004

Phono preamp

I picked up a Sony PS-X7 turntable the other day. I'm pretty inexperienced in vinyl playback but this table seems like a significant upgrade over what I've heard before. Now, I'm thinking I about upgrading my phono pre-amp. Currently I have a BBE FJB-200X (I think that's the model) preamp. I would say probably $200-300 max price range (used is fine). Any suggestions?

Side question, any cartridge recommendations? It came with a Shure V15 Type IV.
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Following is a list of some popular good phono preamp choices in the $200-$300 range. See how you like the Shure V15 first. How much are you looking to spend on a cartridge ? Options are Grado, Audio-Technica, Ortofon and Denon in the budget price range. Check out Needle Doctor.

Cambridge Azur 640P - $179.00
    Musical Fidelity V-LPS - $149.00
    Musical Fidelity X-LPS - $250.00-$280.00 (used)
    Pro-Ject Phono Box II - $159.00
    Pro-Ject Phono Box SE II - $329.00

Comment

• bf_brock
      • Jun 2004

The Shure cart does sound pretty good. It might be good to get another cart though. Not sure how much I can spend, maybe a couple hundred. It would depend on how much I spend on other components I guess. What's your opinion of Sumiko carts?

What about the Gram Amp II or Gram Amp II SE phono preamp? Any experience with those? A little above the price range I see some Jolida tube preamps. They seem to get good reviews from what I've read. There's about a million choices...

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

No experience with Sumiko cartridges or Gram Slee phono preamps. I don't know if you can do too much better than a Shure V15-IV for $200.00. A Denon DL-103 might be worth a try.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Based on your table, Glen has V good recomentations, IMHO.
          Cambridge or MF phono-pre and Denon cart.....some of the best values to be had.

As always, IMHO YMMV
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

As a Dane I need to point to Ortofon. They really do make a lot of great cartridges. If budget is limited then go with the MM line. Very hard to beat..

Comment

• bf_brock
              • Jun 2004

Thanks for the information guys. I ended up picking up the Pro-Ject phono box last weekend. The other day I picked up the Cambridge Azur 640P since every single review I read preferred it over the Pro-Ject box and some reviews even over SE version. Unfortunetly I haven't really been able to compare the units because the right channel on the turntable died before I was able to hook the Cambridge unit up. I was able to at least test the Cambridge unit to make sure it worked at least. I think I'm going to keep the Cambride and return the Pro-Ject.

For the cartridge I think I'm going to keep the Shure, maybe get the Jico stylus for it and keep my eye out for any deals I can find. I've had a few people recommend Ortofon. I may actually get to try one out on my table if I get the right channel working again.

As to the right channel issue, I did some troubleshooting and it looks like it a bad RCA cable. Not surprised since it's the original ones. I had been planning on changing them anyways, just didn't want do it this soon. Looks like it'll be a pain in the a**. Any suggestions on what cable to use? Should I just get an RCA cable and cut one end off?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"