What's worse than equipment not being used?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

What's worse than equipment not being used?

Today, I was cleaning out my photography room, it took all afternoon to go through stuff, it's still not "neat", but at least the stuff is better organized. While back there, I had a wild notion to use my Sonus faber Concertinos that are boxed up. (Rarely ever used). Well, one thing lead to another, so I hauled a Proceed HPA-2 250 X 2 amp back to my back of my photography table, connected up a Classe 2 channel pre-amp I have, and for the time being got my Sonus faber Concertos out for sound. Grabbed up some spare Catcables, and fired it up. Well, the sound was pretty nice. Ok, placement isn't optimal, but you take what you can get.

So, now I have a reading nook with my Ekornes stressless chair, and a little 2 channel entertainment. :-)

I'll get the Concertinos back out and probably run them as sides in the theater. The Concertos are way to good for that anyway. Or I may decide to try my grand Pianos back there on another day. To pooped to do that tonight.

I used a spare HD DVD player as source. But may get out my original Sony DVD player that was rated quite a good CD transport. It's boxed up. I don't know if it would be better than the high end Toshiba HDDVD or not. got a lot of motor noise with the HD DVD, I think the Sony would be a lot quiter.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • 1oldguy
    • Dec 2008

Buying it and moving and not using it at all.
    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

I got out my S7000 Sony original DVD player that cost 1000.00 new. Many people rated the player as comparable with CD transports comparing to 2K or higher on introduction, the isolation of the motor noise and such was so fantastic, the mechanics so precise. Wow, it didn't disappoint. First off, it's always a pleasant surprise when you pop the CD door open, and find along lost CD, lol. Diana Krall Live at Paris was in the player. That's why I had to buy it twice... lol.

Wow, the mechanics of this machine are SO fast, no regrets getting it out at all. Even the batteries were still hot. Amazing really, I know it's been a few years! In fact, I would not have put up with batteries if I'd have thought about that.

Micro detail seems much better with the Sony over the Toshiba HDDVD player, and of course, it's 100 times quiter.

This is just about having a place where I can go and think photography and hear a little music, without distractions. What distractions, I live alone, lol. Well, you know, Dang Girl Scouts trying to sell cookies or something.

I frequently play in my equipment in there, this will make it a lot more pleasant.

Doug
      Doug

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
        • May 2008

Very cool!

Nice to make use of that stuff and make a nice little sanctuary!

Cheers! :T

Mike
        Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I been working on it some more tonight, centered up my chair, moved some more storage racks around in there. It still looks messy, but hey, as long as it's fully functional, that's what counts in a man cave, right? :-)

It's sounding really good now! I've pulled the speakers out into the room a bit, now with my good chair fixed up, it's beginning to work! Thanks Mike. :-)

I stlil cannot get over how fast this S7000 player is. When you start using BD, it's like geesh, so slow. I still may wind up with my Concerto Grand Pianos back there instead of on rear duty of my theater.
          Doug

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Lex, it's good to see you enjoying music again. :T Keep 'er going!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Thanks David, well I've always enjoyed some music, never quit. But I admit to not using my 2 channel enough. I always knew I'd rebuild that system sometime, that's why I never sold any of it. I did have it going with Infinity speakers, and a different amp. But that HPA-2 is just to good to just sit! So, power that bad boy up. I was actually thinking about using it for my center speaker X 500 watts. But I figured I might shoot a cone across the room.

I can't remember if my Classe pre-amp cost me 600 or retailed for 600 when new, (I got it used) but it's a bargain whichever. Metal remote control, machined metal face, smooth volume, relay switching, what a buy I got in that thing. I figure it's a $7200.00 system as configured right now.

D
              Doug

Comment

• jbreezy5
                • May 2009

You're right, unused equipment makes me sad. :cry:

Glad you found a use for everything. Nice back-up stash, btw; would easily be a stopping point for many.

-JBreezy-

Comment

• twitch54
                  • Apr 2006

ahhhhhhhh....the joy of 'Re-Discovery' !! keep the tunes flowing !
                  Dave

Comment

• Blindamood
                    • Sep 2003

I miss my center channel (B&W HTM4S). Moved it to another room after getting a new lcd in my main listening/watching area, since I no longer have anywhere to place it. Need to wall-mount the lcd to free up space for the center on top of the cabinet! One of these days...
                    Brad

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"