X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Photography tips for the speaker building enthusiast

Hey guys!

Within the last year I dove headfirst into photography, and some of the recent "Post photos of your speakers" thread reminded me a lot of the pictures I used to take. Getting a fancy pants camera and making friends with a professional photographer has taught me a lot, and there's some real basic stuff you can do if you want to improve the quality of your photos. This is all fairly basic info, but it made a dramatic difference in the pictures I was taking when I was starting out and I thought I'd post the advice here. If you're just documenting a project then these aren't all that big of a deal, but if you are trying to show off your best work then these might be of interest to you.

TIPS FOR TAKING BETTER PICTURES OF YOUR SPEAKERS

1) DO NOT USE FLASH!

Do your best to avoid using the built-in flash in your point and shoot camera. The built-in flash provides very direct light, and you will generally get the best results with soft, diffuse lighting. A pair of floorstanding incandescent or halogen torchiere lamps work great for soft indoor lighting, and you probably have one if not more in your house already. Another great alternative is taking your photos outdoors on an overcast day. Try to avoid glaring light sources like overhead light cans and open windows with the sun shining through. These will cause hard shadows and reflections off glossy surfaces in your photos.

2) SHOOT IN APERTURE PRIORITY MODE

You will probably want to take your pictures using "Aperture Priority" mode on your camera. Increasing the aperture / lowering the F-stop number increases the amount of light that passes through the lens: the lower the F stop number, the wider the aperture and the more light the lens is gathering. Because we are not using flash, you will want to use a wider aperture / lower F-stop number. In aperture priority mode, you set the aperture setting and the camera automatically adjust the shutter speed to get a properly exposed image. See your camera manual for how to select aperture priority mode and how to adjust your aperture settings. Note: using a wider aperture (lowering your F-stop) also makes your depth of field more shallow. This won't be an issue with most point and shoot cameras as their widest aperture is usually somewhat limited, but it is something to be aware of. If your camera has very low f-stop capability (f/2.8 or lower) the shallow depth of field can be used to great artistic effect if you are going for that sort of thing.

3) CHANGE YOUR ISO SETTING AS NEEDED

ISO is the sensitivity of the image sensor in the camera. It's the "amplifier volume control" inside your camera. The higher the ISO setting, the more sensitive the sensor is to light falling on it. Since you are trying to avoid using flash, you will want to lower your f-stop (to get more light) and increase your ISO (to increase sensitivity to the light you get). At very high ISO settings your camera will start introducing noise into the image. Depending on the quality of the sensor in your camera, this may be noticeable as early as ISO 400 or not noticeable at all until ISO 1000 or beyond. Without flash you will want to use a high ISO, but don't "crank it to 11".

4) DO NOT USE DIGITAL ZOOM!

Stay within the optical zoom range of your camera, and try to avoid being at either the maximum or minimum range of your optical zoom. Less expensive point and shoot cameras will introduce either significant pincussion or barrel distortion depending on your zoom setting, resulting in an apparent bowing of straight lines. If this happens, play with your zoom setting and just take two steps either forwards or backwards to get everything back in frame.

Hope these simple tips help! I love seeing you guy's work and if I can do anything to help you show it off more, just ask!
  • Thooms
    • Aug 2009

Good tips indeed. The flash in particular on most cameras (certainly mine!) makes things look ruddy awful lol

Where possible, I find it's best to put the camera on something (books, clothes, tripod etc), line the shot up and then use the timer so you don't move the camera when you take the shot. Means you can get away with those low ISO / long exposures sometimes needed to shoot indoors without flash
    Bianchi C2C Peerless XLS Sub

Comment

• Sylvan
      • Dec 2010

Thanks for the tips. I've also noticed that turning the flash off gives much better pictures indoors, but I haven't played around enough with the aperture and ISO settings to get great shots. My problem is that I have unsteady hands so in low-light conditions, I get a lot of blurring going on. I guess I'll have to invest in a tripod.

Comment

• AdelaaR
        • Dec 2010

I hardly ever use flash because it makes pictures unrealistic and especially dull ... all the great atmosphere created by natural light is destroyed by the harshness of the flash.
        As Sylvian pointed out you do need to keep your camera very steady to avoid blurring at low light conditions.
        The good news is: tripods can be very cheap!
        I've got this-one: http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Tripods/Ha...Ball-Tilt-Head for only a couple of euros.
        It is a mini tripod and very handy ... the trick is to set your camera to auto-mode so that it takes a picture by itself after 3 seconds ... this way you avoid the motion caused by your finger pushing the button and you save yourself a professional remote operation device
        With the camera completely still and the object being a speaker also completely still ... you can adjust the exposure time and compensate for low light conditions.

Comment

• 5th element
          Supreme Being Moderator
          • Sep 2009

Lots of decent cameras today come with image stabilising built in and I wouldn't recommend getting a new camera that doesn't have it. It's not perfect, but helps considerably to combat movement on longish exposures.
          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
          5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
          Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• AdelaaR
            • Dec 2010

No image stabilization ... even very expensive ... can compensate movement of the camera or the subject in low light as the exposure time is too long in these conditions.
            Shooting speakers or other equipment should be easy though as they tend to stand still.
            Gotta admit that 6 pounds for a tripod is cheap enough, right?

Comment

• numberoneoppa
              • Sep 2009

^Nothing wrong with good image stabilizer such as IS on canon lenses or VR on nikkor lenses.

Great tips, Mark.
              -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Ironically, those are just plain good photography tips.

If I'm not shooting full manual, I'm shooting AP. Always. No flash (though I'll be getting a good one shortly, I also shoot SLR so... yeah.)
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Amphiprion
                  • Apr 2006

Thanks guys! I am glad this was well received. And it seems we have some photographers among us already
                  Ironically, those are just plain good photography tips
                  Thanks! I was trying to keep everything simple, so there's practically nothing in the original post that's really loudspeaker related other than my amp gain control and Spinal Tap reference But so much of what gets posted to this forum is photographs of people's builds and finished projects I thought it would be helpful to post it.

Tripods are great and can be very inexpensive. The tip about using the timer to take the picture was also a really good one Thooms. As for image stabilization which was mentioned, it is a very nice feature which I know I certainly enjoy on my DSLR lenses but IMO a tripod is a must have item if your exposures are so long that you are having blur problems.

And there are lots of cheap options!

Gorillapod available at your local Wal-Mart

Bottle Cap Tripod with 15 Degree Pivot - carry in your pocket with your camera on your outdoor ventures, and use your water bottle as the weighted stand!
                  Our online photo printing service brings digital memories to life with thoughtfully-designed prints, books, wall art and décor. Print life’s moments, big and small on matte Square Prints, giant Engineer Prints and more.

Magnetic Gorillapod
                  Our online photo printing service brings digital memories to life with thoughtfully-designed prints, books, wall art and décor. Print life’s moments, big and small on matte Square Prints, giant Engineer Prints and more.

And there are a lot of mini normal-looking tripods like this:

I can recommend all of the retailers I've linked to or named as being good places to do business with.

ETA: If you are in a situation where you cannot avoid using flash something like the Gary Fong Delta point & shoot diffusor can make it not so bad:

You can find it cheaper at Adorama or BHPhotoVideo most likely. But, to reiterate, never ever use flash
                  Last edited by Amphiprion; 19 December 2010, 16:02 Sunday.

Comment

• BretH
                    • Feb 2006

I don't think it's necessary to say stay away from flash. Just be aware of its limitations - and its strengths. Off-camera flash can be used to create a dynamic, interesting photo where one simply would not exist with existing light.

Anyway, for those interested, there's plenty of food for thought/inspiration here, none of which needs expensive equipment or large "pro" strobes:

"Lighting 101"

Bret

Comment

• Amphiprion
                      • Apr 2006

I was kidding a little bit when I said never ever use flash. It's certainly not necessary to stay away from flash entirely, but for most folks with P&S type cameras I think it's a really good starting point to do so if they can. One of my gifts to myself this holiday season was a Nikon SB-900, so I definitely don't hate flash

Comment

• Undefinition
                        • Dec 2006

Great post, Mark. I only became privy to this information a year or so ago, when I asked a friend of mine who's an artist and photographer how to do reasonable photographs. (I admit that sometimes I'm in a hurry and don't always follow the advice)

The other thing that would serve point-and-shoot owners is a little lesson on shot composition. Not that I'm any sort of visual artist; but I get bothered when I see photographs of people and their little heads are dead-center in the frame.
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                        Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by BretH
                          I don't think it's necessary to say stay away from flash. Just be aware of its limitations - and its strengths. Off-camera flash can be used to create a dynamic, interesting photo where one simply would not exist with existing light.

Anyway, for those interested, there's plenty of food for thought/inspiration here, none of which needs expensive equipment or large "pro" strobes:

"Lighting 101"

Bret
                          Chances are if you have an off-camera flash, you don't need the advice in this thread to begin with.
                          -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                            One of my gifts to myself this holiday season was a Nikon SB-900, so I definitely don't hate flash
                            At least get yourself a tupperware (Lambency) diffuser for it . . .

Comment

• Amphiprion
                              • Apr 2006

At least get yourself a tupperware (Lambency) diffuser for it . . .
                              I haven't even opened it yet and I am already planning on a Fong Lightsphere. My photographer friend has proven to be a very bad influence on my spending habits with regard to photo equipment. That totally doesn't happen with my speaker buddies and my speakers projects at all ya know... :lol:

Comment

• Face
                                • Mar 2007

Using the flash isn't that bad. :P

SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Biff
                                  • Jul 2006

Good idea!

Nice thread Mark.

When I was teaching, my number one (and only) rule is simple - you can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing. If people will bear this in mind when they are looking at, or setting up a shot, the quality of their work will leap upward. Use your eyes, if it doesn't look good to you, it won't look good in photos. Avoid backlighting when possible, your eye compensates much better than your camera does for contrast and brightness. Indirect window light is excellent as a main source, it's soft directionality can lend that 3rd dimension to your builds without being too "revealing" of minor bumps or nicks in an otherwise nice 5 footer. Since we are DIY guys, make a reflector if things are too contrasty and you need some light on the dark side and play with the light. Sheets, pillowcases, sheets of ply, the shiny side of ductboard, foil, and all sorts of things around the shop make great temporary reflectors indoors and out. If you are stuck with direct light use those white fabrics as gobos (diffusers) to soften your source. If the light is too soft and flat, use dark panels (T-shirts on cardboard as an example) and shape the light (we call this subtractive lighting). Remember the inverse square law applies to light as well as sound - fall of is on the square of the distance, so if you have a source too close the area of the speaker nearest will be much brighter than that farther away and as you distance the subject from the source the light tends to equalize. Even with a current pocket camera you can get great results if you consider the light and a few simple rules. Brace well (doorways, stools, tabletops) and use the timer function to take your personal vibration out of the equation, or use marksman techniques (squeeze, don't pull, shoot at the bottom of your breath). If you use on camera flash try to find the setting on your camera that mixes ambient light to better balance your exposure. If using only ambient and your camera has a tungsten (lighbulb) setting, use that to correct color cast. If you bear in mind that you are photgraphing light, not speakers, there is no reason your images shouldn't be as nice as your speakers.

For 20+ years Shooters at the Beach has been the here for your fun family beach photography, Outer Banks Wedding Photographer, Senior portraits, Wall Prints, digital packages. High quality affordable photography from Corolla to Nags Head and Hatteras. Your best choice for OBX professional portraits.

Comment

• cjd
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Face
                                    Using the flash isn't that bad. :P
                                    Distractingly harsh shadow, complete washing-out of detail between the various angles, ... well, I've seen much worse (an unfinished and unshiney box has blessed your shot... a TON...) but it could also be so much nicer.

I need a bigger light tent for most of my projects, but my wife DOES use one I built her for her knitting projects...
                                    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Undefinition
                                      • Dec 2006

Wow, Biff. Wow. That's like a whole course in a paragraph. I'm saving that little rant!
                                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                                      Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                        • Apr 2006

Pretty harsh cjd!

Adorama has a great youtube channel where they make their own photography instruction videos. Here's a great one on Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO which is a good watch for anyone starting out.

Mark Wallace is a photographer, educator, and solo world traveler. In 2014, Mark left the U.S. to embark on a worldwide adventure. In 2016 he decided to give up planes, trains, and automobiles and is now exploring the world on his motorcycle. Mark has created hundreds of photography tutorials sponsored by Snapfactory and Adorama. His most popular series are Digital Photography One on One and Exploring Photography, in addition to his best-selling lighting classes on CreativeLive.

They have a ton of episodes (40+) addressing all levels and kinds of photography.

Comment

• Francesco Villa
                                          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                                          2) SHOOT IN APERTURE PRIORITY MODE

You will probably want to take your pictures using "Aperture Priority" mode on your camera. Increasing the aperture / lowering the F-stop number increases the amount of light that passes through the lens: the lower the F stop number, the wider the aperture and the more light the lens is gathering. Because we are not using flash, you will want to use a wider aperture / lower F-stop number. In aperture priority mode, you set the aperture setting and the camera automatically adjust the shutter speed to get a properly exposed image. See your camera manual for how to select aperture priority mode and how to adjust your aperture settings. Note: using a wider aperture (lowering your F-stop) also makes your depth of field more shallow. This won't be an issue with most point and shoot cameras as their widest aperture is usually somewhat limited, but it is something to be aware of. If your camera has very low f-stop capability (f/2.8 or lower) the shallow depth of field can be used to great artistic effect if you are going for that sort of thing.
                                          Hi, very useful thread, I'd like to add just a little correction: the bolded part is partially true: you can avoid flash and use a high f/stop value.
                                          Flash is mainly used for lowering shutter speeds and avoid camera motion if light is low. Another way to avoid motion is obviously a tripod, so there's no need to use low f/value just to reduce shutter speed: you can use a tripod and a long exposure time. This also allows you to use low iso value in order to have a noise-free image.
                                          At a given light level high f/stop value = long exposure time = less iso = better picture, but you must use a tripod and self-timer (plus mirror lock-up for dslr) to have a perfect image.

Hope this helps, and sorry for my bad english (I hope you understand what I want to say) ops:

Bye,
                                          Francesco

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                            • Apr 2006

Hope this helps, and sorry for my bad english
                                            Bad english? You just explained a technical topic and I would have had no idea you weren't anything other than a native speaker! And your post is totally correct on top of it

Comment

• Hank
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jul 2002

Mark: Good thread! I hope you and the other forum members had a great Christmas!
                                              How's your active speaker project coming along?

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                • Apr 2006

Hey Hank! Christmas was good. The active speaker project is going slowly. I had a project or two in my personal life that, I gotta be honest, totally takes precedence over speaker work. Maybe I'll bring one of the ladies to a poker game sometime if you're lucky

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"