X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

Processor Test Invite

Normally a thread like this should be in the Home Theater area, but JonW and I felt it should be posted here, as the members who participate on this DIY board have the true interest in the hobby, maturity, and willingness to help we are looking for. We have been planning to conduct a blind processor sound quality test since last January, and a series of setbacks has pushed us to a final date of Saturday, May 20. We will be testing both receivers and pre/pros, all fed from the same cd player using a digital optical out, and all using preouts to a PS Audio amp. All settings will be left at factory defaults - we purely want to test the sound quality of the DACs and analog preout stages of a few units. We have score sheets and procedures ready to go, it's rather disciplined. We even had the initial group of people that were going to participate send me some preferred music samples, which I then aggregated onto CD-Rs both as the full songs and in ~35 second clips (that will be used for a part of the testing) and sent them back out to everyone. We did this so that every listener would be familiar with the samples we will use to test, and they have had these discs since mid February. The pieces of gear we wil have for sure are an Audio Refinement Pre-2DSP, an HK avr635, and a Pioneer vsx1015. We may also get a Sunfire Theater Grand III.

Two of the participants who were invited from this forum will no longer be able to make it, which leaves us with JonW, myself, and two other people from Purdue. We wanted to have at least one other person from the boards to participate so they could give their honest impressions afterwards.

While it is pretty short notice now, and you wouldn't have the sample disc for very long before the test, we are putting out an open invite to the members who frequenct this DIY forum to participate in the test. It will be Saturday, May 20, in Lafayette, Indiana, a short distance from Purdue University. The processor testing itself should run around four hours, but other various audio testing and demoing of Jon's sub should make it an all day event. Please let me know if you are interested, and if you might be willing to bring your processor as well, thanks.
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

All settings will be left at factory defaults
    Careful about that. Factory defaults can be very different with different brands, e.g. bass management, bass limiter, upsampling, X-curve, etc. etc. But then you knew that....

Comment

• SteveCallas
      • Aug 2005

I should clarify that - I meant no internal EQ, bass/treble controls, distance settings, or DSP modes wil be used. We will be using straight 2.0 stereo with mains run full range and no subwoofer to eliminate crossover variations.

Comment

• WillyD
        • Feb 2006

*sigh*

I would so be there if I lived within a few hours. Good luck with the test!

Comment

• JonW
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

FYI... approximate drive times to my place are:
          2-3 hours from Chicago
          4-5 hours from St. Louis
          3-4 hours from Columbus, OH
          1 hour from Indianapolis, IN
          3-4 hours from Louisville, KY
          5-7 hours from Detroit, MI
          6-8 hours from Nashville, TN
          3-4 hours from Cincinnati, OH
          4-5 hours from Milwaukee, WI
          I did the drive from Los Angeles once, but that took 2-3 weeks. All those pretty national parks really slowed me down.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I live close to columbus Unfortunately i dont have a car.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"