What are the characteristics of good home speakers suitable for techno/rock/pop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

What are the characteristics of good home speakers suitable for techno/rock/pop?

What are the characteristics of good home speakers which are suitable for techno/rock/pop?Can I listen to techno/rock/pop with "laid back and warm" speakers or do they have to be forward and bright speakers?
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Forward and bright speakers combined with techno/rock/pop is a recipe for listening fatigue. I listen to a very wide range of music genres, including classical, jazz, pop, rock, electronica, hip-hop, and 'ol skool R&B/soul. My PSB Stratus Gold i's do a good job with all. I suggest that you take some of your favorite music to a dealer and audition some speakers in your budget range. Magazine reviews and comments from members of forums such as this one, can help you come up with a shortlist of speakers to audition.

Comment

• Ken49r
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by AwArEnEsS
      What are the characteristics of good home speakers which are suitable for techno/rock/pop?Can I listen to techno/rock/pop with "laid back and warm" speakers or do they have to be forward and bright speakers?
      The electronics you pair the speakers with will determin how they sound.

A good match will sound good with all types of music.

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by AwArEnEsS
        Depends what you like. All speakers are a compromise. Pick the ones that make you happy with the money you have to spend, and that suit your needs/wants. There is no right answer.

Comment

• 1Michael
          • Sep 2006

I understand your question because I have been asking the same thing for over 25 years.
          I believe we need to have 2 separate audio systems, 1 for our Techno, Rock, Pop and 1 for the Classical, Jazz etc.
          Obviously that is not possible for most of us. What I did was build the Modula MTM and for bass reinforcement (read crack your bleedin spine for my techno craving) I built dual 15" bass bins that you can see in my avatar. That way I get my high quality music that will pound the snot out of you 8O :twisted: :T
          Michael
          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
            • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers.
            The universe arises from definitionless awareness.

Comment

• daniel-a
              • Dec 2009

I agree with Ken49r. I should also add that good loudspaeker are good for any types of music. That doesn't mean that any types of music are good.

Comment

• 1Michael
                • Sep 2006

And just for general purposes if I was not into the DIY speaker building thing these are the speakers I would buy. http://www.planetdj.com/i--INT-252
                I have not heard them myself but for the price I would be willing to try them, or at least audition them :T
                Just understand that speakers that sound good for that kind of music will not sound good on a system designed for Jazz or Classical. A lot of the music I love sounds like trash on my speakers because they are so revealing in detail. So pick your compromise and go for it
                Michael
                Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• Glen B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2004

I owned Cerwin Vega D-9s, 380SEs, and AT-15s back in the days before I discovered high end, and while they rocked with R&B and rock, they sounded like a$$ on classical. I think my current PSB Stratus Gold i's do a fine job with all kinds of music, and I listen to a very wide range of genres, from hip-hop to pipe organ.

Comment

• 1Michael
                    • Sep 2006

I once owned a pair of Altec Lansing Voice Of The Theater speakers that were hand built by my friends father who worked at the factory in Anaheim Ca. These speakers did rock well but classical sounded like, well you know...stuff.
                    Michael
                    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• whoaru99
                      • Jul 2004

Here's what I use when I want to "get down".

Note: The Yamaha tops have been replaced with JBL SR4732As, and the setup has been moved to the garage. So, now it's the JBL SR4732A over JBL SR4719X subs, have a pair of bridged Crown CE4000s on the subs and a QSC PL 3.4 on the tops. A Behringer DCX2496 handles crossover, delay, and tunings.

There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• twitch54
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Ken49r
                        The electronics you pair the speakers with will determin how they sound.

A good match will sound good with all types of music.

as important (or maybe moreso) is ones room acoustics.
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"