X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhinopilot
    • Jan 2009

Pre/Pro Question

Hey guys,

I currently have a Denon 2309ci powering a B&W 685 HT setup. I'm considering an upgrade to separates. Without starting a new "who makes the best stuff" thread my question is:

Which component, the pre-amp or the amplifier itself, has more influence on the sound? Or more accurately, which has less in order to produce a more natural representation of the recording?

Unfortunately, my naivete didn't realize the lack of pre-outs on the Denon and so if I go this route I'll be purchasing both componets.

I appreciate any responses,
    Mike
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

I would have to say the pre amp. Since the pre is where all points meet, it better be the strongest point in the chain.
    Greg

Comment

• eljr
      • Aug 2007

The pre amp is nothing but a switching box. The sign of a good pre is that it is transparent and adds nothing to the sound.

An amp by adding more watts may produce a more desirable sound by simply increasing the db's without distortion.
      What you got back home, lil' sister, to play yer fuzzy warbles on? Pitiful, portable picnic players?
      Come with uncle & hear all proper! Hear angels trumpets & devils trombones. You are invited!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"