X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BW4me
    • Nov 2005

CD player suggestion

Been using integra DPS 5.5 as all around player for several years with B&W CDMNT series and just recently added rotel 1067 avr.

Now I'm looking to upgrade to BD player and wondering if I should keep using DPS 5.5 as dedicated CD player or find player just for CD. I've also thought of using BD as universal player - currently considering pioneer BDP 51FD.

Should I get dedicated CD player? If so, recommendations?

Or just keep integra DPS 5.5 for CD, or use new BD player for all?

Steve
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Another option is to get a decent DAC and use either your computer or ipod and forget about a new CDP.

Comment

• 1oldguy
      • Dec 2008

the Byston CD player is amazing.You should try it if you get the chance.
      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Agreed, the Bryston is V good, as is the Cary 303, and the Cambridge Audio 840.
        Also, the Cambridge Audio Dac Magic link uses the same chips as the 840.

As always, YMMV & JMHO
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

You could try the 30 day trial period of the Emotiva ERC-1 as well. Uses the same DAC that's in the 840c but only costs 399. Not sure what your budget is but I've heard the 840 as well and it's certainly nice.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Based on recommendations here for some time, if I were to get a CD player myself, I'd only go with the CA 840.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I haven't auditioned CD players for a couple years , but I loved the Cambridge 840 and the McCormack Audio Universal Disc Player. Mark Levinson also had a very nice CD player. The Bryston(s) I heard were awful. They started with a speaker-killing POP when powered up , and sounded like a boiling cat. They were the first ones shipped , and I'm sure they've been tweaked since then , but somewhere around here I posted a rant about how my $59 Toshiba DVD player sounded much better. Harsh , grainy , screechy , bright , etc.. They were every bad thing ever said about CD audio. All in all , they were worse than the horrendous players of the early 80s. The Bryston had a lot of detail-I could hear every badly soldered circuit and piss-poor component design flaw they had. :roll: I heard them through Mac , Bryston , Marantz , and Levinson amps , and nothing fixed them. Speakers were Focal , Revel , Paradigm , and PS Audio.
              Having said all that , Bryston makes very high quality products , and I'm sure they've steadily improved their CD player.

In all fairness , I've heard very good things about the Bryston CD player. They got some good reviews when they came out , but my ears disagreed. It has been two years since I heard them , so I would listen to a new one before I made a current judgement. Audition is still the best route . If I couldn't audition a component I would probably start with buying used .
              Last edited by Alaric; 28 August 2009, 20:22 Friday.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
                • Mar 2009

O Canada!
                Our home and native land!
                True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
                The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
                O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Sorry I couldnt resist!
                What about some more Canadian content and maybe better in the CD department with some Moon audio?

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

Mike, "O Canada", I detect no personal bias at all! :B
                  John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Why am I suddenly in the mood for hockey?
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• 1oldguy
                      • Dec 2008

It's OK...be brave, it will pass.
                      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• JustinGN
                        • May 2009

I was thinking about this myself, actually. I currently pipe audio over HDMI from my PS3 (Launch 60GB, with SACD), but it doesn't handle HDCDs and audio sounds "boxy" from CDs themselves.

I was looking at the Emotiva ERC-1 or Marantz CD5003. Problem is that I'd prefer a player capable of properly passing HDCD signals, or even playing SACDs/DVD-As (Even better if it supports Multi-Channel Digital or Analog Output, either natively or modified), and something under $400 to start me off (All my CDs are currently ripped to WMA Lossless and streamed from the PC over HDMI, though I'm trying to "deconverge" as it were).

Comment

• jbreezy5
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by BW4me
                          Been using integra DPS 5.5 as all around player for several years with B&W CDMNT series and just recently added rotel 1067 avr.

Now I'm looking to upgrade to BD player and wondering if I should keep using DPS 5.5 as dedicated CD player or find player just for CD. I've also thought of using BD as universal player - currently considering pioneer BDP 51FD.

Should I get dedicated CD player? If so, recommendations?

Or just keep integra DPS 5.5 for CD, or use new BD player for all?

Steve
                          Do you have any price-point limitations? As far as functionality and appearance a Rotel CD player should fit the bill w/your AVR.

JBreezy

Comment

• Maceo23
                            • Dec 2006

I really like my Oppo BDP-83. Its a very respectable player for the money, not to mention that it does just about every format around.

Comment

• Hberg
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Maceo23
                              I really like my Oppo BDP-83. Its a very respectable player for the money, not to mention that it does just about every format around.
                              I agree. I recently purchased the Oppo BDP-83, and I very pleased with it on a number of different fronts.
                              "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"