X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thea-masta
    • Feb 2009

Buying my first receiver.

Hey all! Im really into my hi-fi and music and still young, but i was wondering what receiver i could buy with 100 pounds (sterling).

Im using 4x Dm110i's all in good working order :T and wondered what would be best on my budget.
    _________
    Jon. opcorn:
  • bnieman
    • Jun 2006

For that price I would look at Marantz receivers on the used market. They should pair well with with your speakers.

If you can't find one in your price range with enough features for your tastes, look for a Denon on the used market. I owned a Denon AVR-2805 quite a few years back and liked it very much in my system before I went to a Rotel/B&W setup.

Cheers!
    Bryan
    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• bnieman
      • Jun 2006

Here's a Marantz SR-4400 for $185

Comment

• Thea-masta
        • Feb 2009

The Denon AVR-2805 looks great and would be good for future upgrades to my system.
        do you know how much they retail for?

Thanks!
        Jon
        _________
        Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• bnieman
          • Jun 2006

On eBay the 2805 has an average selling price of $180. It's quite a few years old, I think it came out in 2005 or so. There have been new units every year since with the first digits "28". This years model includes decoding of the new surround sound formats DTS-HD-MA and Dolby True. I believe this years model runs around $600 new.

Comment

• Thea-masta
            • Feb 2009

Right ok.. are the "28"series hard to get hold of these days e.g just from ebay?
            i would prefer to buy from UK if possible for obvious reasons. But if i have to then yeah i will buy abroad

$180 sounds good, i would pay that much considering they were fairly pricey (New) wern't they?

Thanks very much for your help =)
            _________
            Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• bnieman
              • Jun 2006

They originally retailed for $899 I believe, I got mine for around $585 new from an eBay seller back when they were the current line. It's definitely a nice unit for $180. Before I got my Rotel preamp/processor I used the Denon 2805 as a preamp/processor for my Rotel RMB-1075 since it has preamp outputs.

You could also look at the 2806, 2807, and 2808. I haven't looked at prices, but I am sure they are reasonable. The last 2 digits designates the year it came out. For example, the 2805 came out in 2005, 2806 in 2006 and so forth. Current 2009 model is the 2809.

If you wait a bit I am sure one will pop up around your area.

Cheers!

Comment

• Thea-masta
                • Feb 2009

Right i need a lesson in home audio i think before i start buying ;hehe; i know a fair bit about stereo and stacker units. But a receiver i aint 100% sure what it can be used for =/.

Help me out please =)
                _________
                Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• Thea-masta
                  • Feb 2009

Also..im building 2 bookshelf speakers..anyone out there got cabinet designs?
                  _________
                  Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• RobP
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Welcome to the forum :later:

Im going to move this to the Audio hideout section, you may get more help in there. Also, check out the DIY section here, there are alot of great guys in there with great proven designs, they should be able to help you down the DIY path. :T
                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Are you looking for two channel music , or multi channel HT? Or a combination of both? If just two channel , some vintage receivers might be worth looking at. If you can do without broadcast radio , maybe an integrated?
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Thea-masta
                        • Feb 2009

Cheers RobP!

Lee, i have 4 speakers i guess i could use a 2 channel right? and i will either link it to a PC or Via a cd player.

what do you recommend?
                        _________
                        Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

I'm going to be predictable as hell , and tout my Marantz PM7200 integrated. They can generally be had in the $350 range , and an OK tuner for $150. I'm not an employee of Marantz , and I don't sell their stuff. (I'm a service manager at a Harley dealership) I got my amp new for $450 and ST6000 tuner used for $169. Is there better stuff ? Hell , yeah. For the money , however , I'm pretty pleased. I spent my money on speakers.
                          There are some decent vintage (old) receivers out there , but you have to be careful. A 30 year old Pioneer in need of new caps and resistors isn't a deal-it's a headache. A recently serviced/refurbed Sansui is probably overpriced but a good , reliable unit. You makes your choices....
                          The best thing about the recent Marantz offerings is you can get great bang-per-buck ratio. I got more than I paid for at new pricing , used it's a steal.

Relevant thread http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=17903
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"