X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • don9146
    • Nov 2008

Blu-Spec CD

What is Sony thinking? That marketing and goofy reviews in audio rags will make these sell even though there is no sonic benefit? And it doesn't just seem like snake-oil, it also seems like incredibly poor timing to launch this product during this bad recession. Am I alone in thinking this?

Later,
    Don
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Yep, sounds like all marketing. What makes irritates me is that they could push a high resolution audio format compatible with Bluray players on the market. But they don't. Why not give people what they want, and I think the high end market is big enough to make it worthwhile. A better format would only increase interest in high end I think.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I think they are hesitant to do another hi-res format because of what happened with SACD.

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

That's probably it. SACD wasn't compatible with many players. Even Sony took forever to make affordable SACD players. They also had the format war with DVD Audio too. But, there are some classical music titles out on HD-MA format. If Bluray really pics up in the future, they may bring more titles out in that format.

I'm wondering, when these players down sample these 7.1 channel discs to 2 channel audio, what happens to sampling rate and resolution. Is it still 24bit, 96kHz? Depends on the player I guess?
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"