X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoundEngine355
    • Feb 2008

advice - pure two channel system

Happy new year all!

I'm looking for a new pure two channel system and have come up with the following:

1 x Plinius 9200 Intergrated Amplifier
    1 x Plinius CD101 Player
    1 x Sonus Faber Auditor M (pr)
    1 x Velodyne DD10

What you guys think?

Should be a sweet sounding compact with bass system yeah?
    Last edited by SoundEngine355; 01 January 2009, 21:50 Thursday.
    SoundEngine355

-------------------
    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

I think for two channel you'd want
    2 x Sonus Faber Auditor M

Comment

• SoundEngine355
      • Feb 2008

*cough*
      SoundEngine355

-------------------
      [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

While I don't have any personal experience with the stuff you listed , it all seems to be first rate gear.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Russ L
          • Jul 2006

I know Plinius amps have world class bass. So if thats important to you an audition would be worth it. I know they have had trouble getting constant distribution in N.America. So auditioning has been difficult. I tried a year or so ago. But would have had to buy sight unseen and unheard. Servicing was an issue and Plinius have always been pricey. If you live in New Zealand or where service and distribution from a reputable dealer is available then Plinius might be worth a go.
          Russ

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Here's what I'd do. Nix the Faber and subwoofer and use the money you save to buy this:

Sound Lab Dynastat

These guys carry them ($7200.00):

But you should contact Sound Lab to find the best dealer, for your area.

It plays down to 27Hz. I just happen to love the sound of Sound Lab loudspeakers, because the their harmonic neutrality and musicality - to my ears. Many benefits to dipoles. The amp you're considering would drive the speaker well.

Just my 10cents. :T
            John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Briz vegas
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

If you are going with the Sonus Faber standmounts and you want an integrated, guess what I am going to suggest. Assuming you are in the US and are not a Kiwi I would suggest looking locally at the Conrad Johnson CA200. The Sonus Faber review says that it is an incredibly revealing speaker. The CJ is similarly informative and has similar specs to the Plinius (185/300 vs 200/300 Plinius). The CJ is a control amp with zero feedback meaning you get bags more information due to the minimalist design. This amp definitely deserves an audition - had mine over 12 months and I love it now more then when I first picked it up. Others have been similarly impressed.

The reviews indicate that the two amps have different characters with the Plinius on the brighter side, where as the CJ has a sweeter darker sound. With the review indicating that the SF are detailed speakers I guess it is a matter of taste regarding the sound that you are looking for.
              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• dtb300
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                The reviews indicate that the two amps have different characters with the Plinius on the brighter side, where as the CJ has a sweeter darker sound. With the review indicating that the SF are detailed speakers I guess it is a matter of taste regarding the sound that you are looking for.
                Do not make a purchase based strictly on reviews. :roll:

Like others have stated both of these companies have their own sound and everyone will have a different opinion on them (what reviews are - opinions). Neither one is "better", just different. Personally I could live with either the Plinius or CJ depending on the other parts of the system for proper synergy.

Now if you have heard the 9200 and the other parts of your stated system, and you love the sound it has just buy it and enjoy the music. It is all about what you think and what you like, not others.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Auditioning is a given for any hifi purchase regardless of any advice from reviewers or those that post on forums such as this. I do find that a revew can provide a starting point and a ball park idea of the equipments character.

My intention was to recommend an alternative that I know very well and enjoy a great deal. I have only heard a high end 250watt Plinius power amp running Watt Puppy 7. While not a bright sound it certainly was not the relatively darker and sweeter CJ sound that I am familiar with.

As stated before, the listeners personal preferences will determine which works best for them. There is certainly nothing wrong with the Plinius gear that I have heard.
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"