Clear All
  • eljr
    • Aug 2007

SACD, how many layers?

I thought I understood this, but

please explain to me the difference between:
    Hybrid Multichannel SACD and
    Hybrid Stereo SACD

I understand that both have a red book layer so they can be played on all cd players.
    But, does the Hybrid Multichannel SACD only have a multi layer and a red book layer? Not a stereo SACD layer?
    What you got back home, lil' sister, to play yer fuzzy warbles on? Pitiful, portable picnic players?
    Come with uncle & hear all proper! Hear angels trumpets & devils trombones. You are invited!
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Almost all SACDs, hybrid or not, have a stereo SACD track.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• eljr
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
      Almost all SACDs, hybrid or not, have a stereo SACD track.

Kal

Thanks for the reply but then if "Almost all SACDs" how does one know definitively?
      Also, there seems to be a lot of confusion on this as I seem to get a different answer from everyone I ask. Most people seems to feel that SACD's are two layer, either a multichannel or stereo layer and a red book. Not three layers.
      :huh:

At these prices, both players and discs it should be clear.
      What you got back home, lil' sister, to play yer fuzzy warbles on? Pitiful, portable picnic players?
      Come with uncle & hear all proper! Hear angels trumpets & devils trombones. You are invited!

Comment

• eljr
        • Aug 2007

Ok, so I can be comfortable that if I go to let's say
        http://store.acousticsounds.com/sacd.cfm all titles under
        Hybrid Multichannel SACD have a stereo SACD layer?

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

SACDs are constructed much like DVDs, with 1 or 2 layers. For hybrid SACDs, one layer is the Redbook (CD) layer, and the other is the SACD layer.

Stereo vs. multichannel SACD isn't layer dependent. A single layer SACD can have both stereo and multichannel tracks, just like a single layer DVD can have multiple audio tracks.

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

The official specs require a stereo SACD (can also be mono, if the original was mono) group. The redbook layer and the MCH group are optional. However, there is a tiny number of discs without a stereo group (too tiny to worry about, but they are out there). Officially, those cannot be called SACD (just as the "CD-layer" of a Dual-Disc does not conform officially to redbook standards and is not "officially" a CD).

Comment

• Martyn
              • Feb 2006

It should say somewhere on the sleeve whether the disc will play on a CD player or on an SACD player only. I have two-channel and multi-channel SACDs that will play in stereo on a CD player or CD-ROM drive, but I also have a Louis Armstrong SACD that will not play on anything except an SACD player!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"