X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Fm

Something to be said for hanging out with a glass of wine (OK , two) and listening to the oldies station. It sounds 1000 times better than the last time I heard it , and a half-a$$ tuner really brings some joy to a mellow evening.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
  • H.T.C
    • Nov 2003

If one was to consume a few bottles of wine it might get even better. :P

It's really not too awful in that the lower half of the spectrum where the college stations are play some great music.
    Robert

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

I only bought a tuner because it completed my system. Since I rarely listen to the radio I didn't spend much on it , and I could get one that matched my gear. I decided to use said tuner to help with conditioning my new cables (bought for the CD player). I figured I can run the tuner down in the man-cave for a few days. Now I have to save up for a pair of Kingcats for my tuner! It sounds pretty nice on the local oldies station. As long as I avoid stations that scream 50,000 WATTS OF BROADCAST POWER COMIN' AT YOU........ 8O I don't want 50k watts of anything comin' at me.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I tend to listen to NPR a lot. As H.T.C. stated, the college stations for jazz is a good pass time, when doing things around the apt. I don't use the tuner as much as when I was young, but, it still gets frequent use in my home.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I've found the perfect mix of sangria and 70s. I can almost smell the sea air , taste the kisses , feel the sand under my feet. Having an audio habit in the 70s , in Ft. Lauderdale , in my teens and twenties , makes me wonder why I ever felt the need to "grow up". Now I know what "The Good Ol' Days" are......
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Blindamood
            • Sep 2003

I honestly haven't listened to radio in almost two years now. Since I got Sirius in my car, I've never looked back. Favorite station is "The Vault", which plays a lot of good classic stuff; mostly the stuff that was too obscure, or just too long, for radio.

BTW, I'm soon beginning my 'new' life in Fort Lauderdale...wife has already gone down to start her new job, so I've had plenty of time lately to sit around, sip wine (or beer or martini) and listen to my favorite tunes!
            Brad

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Although I have an FM tuner at home, it is not even plugged in right now. Virtually all my music listening at home is CD or SACD.

XM satellite radio has just about completely displaced the local FM stations on my car radio. Two really good classical channels, 110 and 113, that play a lot of both familiar and never-before-heard material (at least not the first time I hear them play it -- they tend to repeat their program sequences fairly often at different times of day through the week). A third classical channel, 112, all vocals, is great for opera lovers.

As for "golden oldies" in the rock/popular vein, channel 6 has music only from the 1960s -- although they made an exception recently, first playing "Love Potion #9, which was a '60's hit, and then "Love Client #9" which is definitely a topical satire from 2008. Channel 7 plays the 1970s, channel 8 the 1980s... channels 4,5,9 each dedicated to corresponding decades. There are many other choices, such as "big hits" for various "themes", that cut across decades. Bluegrass, country, jazz, non-English language standards -- all covered. Even a channel (27) for movie soundtracks.

For the record, I do NOT drink wine while listening to radio in the car! But once I get home, I enjoy a glass of Ariel Chardonnay.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Blindamood
                I honestly haven't listened to radio in almost two years now. Since I got Sirius in my car, I've never looked back. Favorite station is "The Vault", which plays a lot of good classic stuff; mostly the stuff that was too obscure, or just too long, for radio.

BTW, I'm soon beginning my 'new' life in Fort Lauderdale...wife has already gone down to start her new job, so I've had plenty of time lately to sit around, sip wine (or beer or martini) and listen to my favorite tunes!
                If you get to the Elbo Room , wave to the camera and give us a 'heads up' ! If Joseph's is still around (Las Olas Blvd. , I believe) it's a nice restaurant/club. If you just need entertainment with no cover charge , Lester's Diner is a hoot. Especially around 2 AM on Saturday. Makes Greenwich Village look tame.

If you like seafood , 15th St. Fishery is superb. Or head north to Two George's in Boynton Beach-the catch of the day is phoned in to the staff when the boat heads back in. If you go north through the New River tunnel , look at the sidewalk on your right. I used to skateboard down that sidewalk! Yes , it hurt!
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Happy B-day, Alaric!

Lee,

I just saw it is your birthday! You and I are the same age. Hope you enjoyed it! arty:
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Thank you much , John! Love your signature! It's one of my all-time favorite movies.
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Blindamood
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Alaric
                      If you get to the Elbo Room , wave to the camera and give us a 'heads up' ! If Joseph's is still around (Las Olas Blvd. , I believe) it's a nice restaurant/club. If you just need entertainment with no cover charge , Lester's Diner is a hoot. Especially around 2 AM on Saturday. Makes Greenwich Village look tame.

If you like seafood , 15th St. Fishery is superb. Or head north to Two George's in Boynton Beach-the catch of the day is phoned in to the staff when the boat heads back in. If you go north through the New River tunnel , look at the sidewalk on your right. I used to skateboard down that sidewalk! Yes , it hurt!
                      The Elbo Room is just down the street from our new place (just off Las Olas). Believe it or not, my dad worked there for a brief time during his college days. I'll have to check out the other spots you mention...thanks for the tips. We have our favorite spots as well, but it's great to learn about some new options.
                      Brad

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"