X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blazin
    • Jun 2007

XLR to TRS stereo

Need to output from 1/8" TRS Stereo (Pocket PC) -> Balanced Audio IN XLR..

Got a 1/8" jack and a XLR-3M jack.. just need to solder the wires together..

XLR-3M has pin 1GND, 2Hot, 3Cold
    1/8" jack appears to have 4 conductors, L, R, GND, ?Shielding?

How do I do this?

Thanks!

PS I don't care about audio quality, the cord will be 6", this is for generating DTMF tones onto an audio track and performing some audio processing downstream.. just a test for the moment..

I need the solution that involves solder only.
  • NonSense
    • Nov 2003

Blazin

In general, XLR is a Mono configuration. Signal and inverted signal to create a balanced transmission.

I wouldn't endorse this connection, but you could probably take either the L or R from the 1/8" (2.1mm?) to the Hot of the XLR and ground the cold connection.

Not sure how your pocket PC will like the load. These connections are generally designed to drive a 32 Ohm headphone speaker.
    Bruce

Comment

• Blazin
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by NonSense
      Blazin

In general, XLR is a Mono configuration. Signal and inverted signal to create a balanced transmission.

I wouldn't endorse this connection, but you could probably take either the L or R from the 1/8" (2.1mm?) to the Hot of the XLR and ground the cold connection.

Not sure how your pocket PC will like the load. These connections are generally designed to drive a 32 Ohm headphone speaker.

Ok wasn't sure if L or R mattered as far as what goes to Hot
      this isn't a cure all.. just a quick test to see if it works.. I'll be building a dedicated device in the future.. Thanks man!

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

you might read about RCA to XLR on the net, info is out there. Your TRS signal is stereo, you cannot take it down to mono. So, you either loose a channel or you do a splitter to two XLRs likely.

I don't think anyone is particularly interested in going out on a limb with jury rigging this, least of all me. :-) So, that's all I got.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Blazin
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by NonSense
          Works just fine :T

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"