Velodyne DD-10 or DD-12...help me decide!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pearsall001
    • Dec 2005

Velodyne DD-10 or DD-12...help me decide!

I've narrowed it down to either of these two subs. The specs are almost identical for the two so I have to wonder what does the DD-12 bring to the table over the DD-10 to warrant the price difference. My room is approx 3000 cubic feet (13x32x7). I will be using the sub for two channel listening. My mains are AAD 2001 monitors. Thanks for any info you can throw my way.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Big room - Bigger sub.

Things like how far you sit from your speakers, the room size and its acoustic characteristics, the placement of the sub and the type of music you listen to all influence its performance. If you can demo both, do so. But the general rule of thumb.......

see above.

JMHO
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

It'll also affects your style and type of music you listen to. A 10" will have a tighter/faster sound to it which is better for listening to music. A 12" will be close to the speed/tightness/quickness of the 10", but it will also give you a much lower range, diving deaper in the <20Hz.

If it's a HT, 12" is a better option for you, if it's mainly for 2-ch, I think a 10" works a little bit better.

If it's 50/50, I'd probably take the 12" just to get the lower range for HT use.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Size vs speed is not always true. I have heard subs that are larger that sound just as quick in response to a 10" sub. Just depends really.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
          This is an easy call. Get the DD12. With subs bigger is almost always better. Most folks who are new to subs try to save money by buying too small. This is foolish. In fact, do even better. Get the DD15.

I'm not going to go into the theory. I'm tired of preaching this same script. Do a seach both here and on the internet to get the theoretical and practical explanations.

Sparky

Comment

• NMG
            • Oct 2004

I'd go for the 12. Well actually, I'd go for a 15 if I could swing it

Comment

• imbeaujp
              • Nov 2007

With the room size you have, go with the 12 inches. If you want more bass, I suggest to add another 12 inches. On my oppinion, it is better to have 2 subs than only one. That way, you can extend the listening area (sweet spot) and have uniform bass managment in your room.

I have 2 subs now (Peerless XXLS 12) and they are great. In a next future, I will a two others. I want my room "bass balanced" and the only way to do that is with multiple sub.
              Jean-Pierre Imbeau

ROTEL: RSP-1098|RT-1080|RCD-1072|RDV-1060|RLC-1040|RB-1080x2|RMB-1075
              PIONEER: ELITE PRO-940HD|BDP-HD1|inno
              YAMAHA: NS-1000|NS-1000M|CA-1010|CT-1000|TC-1000|YP-1000
              PEARLESS: XXLS-12x4|BEHRINGER DSP-1124

Comment

• twitch54
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by imbeaujp
                With the room size you have, go with the 12 inches. If you want more bass, I suggest to add another 12 inches. On my oppinion, it is better to have 2 subs than only one. That way, you can extend the listening area (sweet spot) and have uniform bass managment in your room.

I have 2 subs now (Peerless XXLS 12) and they are great. In a next future, I will a two others. I want my room "bass balanced" and the only way to do that is with multiple sub.

Your room, assuming it is a basement enviroment because of the 7' ceiling, would be better served with two subs, I agree.

Better yet, given your demensions, partition the 32' portion down to 20-23' for an even better 'room' !
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"