X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thelonious Funk
    • Dec 2006

Man, THIS JUST STINKS

Ok so like I said in another thread, all my cd's were stolen.

I DO have a lot of lossless files on a computer I built specifically to be my media server.

My dilemma is this:

My stereo sounds great when the computer is not hooked up. When I do run RCA's into the preamp, I get a buzz. Even when the computer is off, it buzzes.

Ground loop, right? I've tried the following things:

Moving the computer to a different outlet in the room, out of the room, and in the same outlet. I have plugged in the RCA's to my laptop and it removes the buzz so I know it isn't those cables. I have given thought to using a ground lift to solve the problem but the idea freaks me out and I don't know enough about it to make an informed decision.

I've also looked at filters online that can remove the hum... but won't that remove sound too?

HELLLLLP!!!!

You people are frickin' audio masterminds. I know I can count on you.
    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.
  • Radec
    • Jan 2005

Would getting a sound card with an Optical SPDIF out work?

Comment

• twitch54
      • Apr 2006

"float" the ground from the CPU with a 'cheater' plug to confirm your suspiscions, afterwhich you can leave as is or..............

purchase ground loop 'buster type' device (PS Audio I believe)

address the outlet(s) that are in your audio / CPU chain to eliminate.
      Dave

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
        • Dec 2006

I have a great sound card, and it has the opti out...

But i don't have the in on the preamp because I have yet to upgrade. I can try the lift... I won't fry anything that way?

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I read your other post and I'm sorry to hear about all your CDs being taken. That's an aweful shame. Hopefully, whoever took them will enjoy them (though I doubt that, probably just used for profit).

It's in your PSU on the computer, floating the ground should help and it shouldn't cause any problems with your PC.

Course I would just say that I need to get a Benchmark DAC1 and run the optical out from the PC to the DAC and then the problem would be solved. :lol:
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Running a computer on a cheater plug would be a very bad idea IMHO. Even if it is just for a few minutes. Just my $0.02.
            -Chuck

Comment

• greenhorn
              • Feb 2007

Very sorry to hear about your cd's. :M

If you PM me your address I have a few discs I'd be happy to send your way. These aren't junk or copies, they are retail with jewel boxes and inserts. Just some decent stuff where I've somehow end up with doubles or whatever.

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

If you disconnected everything from your preamp except the computer, does it still do it? So PC>preamp>amp>speakers and ONLY that. No other device connnected. Do you still get the buzz? If I understand correctly, you ARE getting the buzz when playing the audio files from the pc, right?
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Crimson
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

You may want to try USB out from your PC, then inserting a USB-SPDIF converter (Hagerman's HagUSB comes to mind).
                  Q.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

greenhorn, a very nice gesture. That's being a good HTG friend!
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
                      If you disconnected everything from your preamp except the computer, does it still do it? So PC>preamp>amp>speakers and ONLY that. No other device connnected. Do you still get the buzz? If I understand correctly, you ARE getting the buzz when playing the audio files from the pc, right?

Correct about the buzz when playing the files, but also when on a different device if the computer is connected to the system at all. I'll have to try taking everything else out of the equation tonight and report back results.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                        • Dec 2006

And yes, the people on this board are always awesome. I can't thank everyone enough for their kind words and gestures.

I know that sounds a little thick as I am just talking about cd's but they were like my lifes story from 11 to now. BLEH! I'm going shopping this weekend to make myself feel better anyway.

Comment

• H.Donald
                          • Aug 2004

Sorry to hear about your CDs...
                          I know it's not much consolation at this point...but these people who go around stealing from others,their punishment is the life they live.Enjoy yours...

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                            • Dec 2006

I feel the same way. I also feel blessed that I can replace a lot of what I lost, and I don't have to steal it to do so.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

I'm terribly sorry to read of your loss, Eric.:gah: Best thing to do now is to focus on building up a great new collection.

Stacks of strength :T

Comment

• audioqueso
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
                                Correct about the buzz when playing the files, but also when on a different device if the computer is connected to the system at all. I'll have to try taking everything else out of the equation tonight and report back results.
                                So the buzz is there from the computer audio files.
                                The buzz is also there from any other source if the computer is connected to the pre-amp as well.

Ok, let's see. Computers create a lot of interferes in general just because of the amount of moving parts (fans, etc). First, do you have wifi connected to that computer? Wifi pci cards seem to intensify the amount of interference. I don't know the technical reason why, but I've discovered that through several testing setups.

You have to run RCA's cause you're using a pre-amp, right? IF you could run optical, that would eliminate it since you'd have a break in the copper conducting the interference. But that's not an option. Do you have a laptop. Try using just the headphone output of the laptop and see if you get the interference.

If you do get buzz with the laptop, then it sounds like grounding in the combination of how you have your setup.

If you don't get buzz, then it may be the specifics on how your computer is built. (fans, actual case structure, different elements)
                                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Eric, that just blows. :M

Like Greenhorn, Jen and I have some discs that we've duplicate-purchased and we've just never done anything with them. I cannot think of a better thing to do with those titles than to help jump-start your collection.

Please PM me your addy and we'll send them on.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"