Computer won't start. Any ideas besides buy a new one??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

Computer won't start. Any ideas besides buy a new one??

Looking at a computer for a friend of mine. The problem is the thing will not power up. You can press the power button and nothing happens. I tried a different power supply from a computer I had previously parted out and it produced exactly the same result - nothing.

The power switch has continuity and it's properly connected to the motherboard as best I can tell.

I tried the hard drive in another computer as a slave and that appears to be working, but I have no computer in which to try the CPU (Celeron 2.6GHz 400fsb) or the memory (Micron/Crucial DDR333).

A new entry level microATX board for socket 478 can be had for about $50, but I guess my question is what is the likelyhood it's the board and not something else?
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Sounds like a bad mobo...
    Danish

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

First, unplug the power cord, press the power button, this will make sure to drain all power left in the caps. Remove all connections (HD,CDRom, Etc), all PCI/AGP/etc cards, and memory. All you should have is the PSU, Mobo, and a processor (keep any fans connected to the mobo) all connected. Now plug in the power cord and hit the power button. If you're lucky you might see the CPU fan start to spin for a second or so either when you plugged in the power or hit the power button. That means your PSU is good and most likely your Mobo is good and the problem resides around the CPU.

Best thing to do though is to reseat the CPU, I've seen that keep PCs from turning on.

But if you get no fan activity what so ever, it's most likely the motherboard.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

OK. I tried the suggestion of disconnecting the system as you suggested.

Upon plugging in the PSU, I hear a faint whine, but absolutely no movement of the CPU fan. Then I pushed the power button and still no movement of the CPU fan. I again tried the other PSU I have and the same result - no movement at all of the CPU fan.

Reseated the CPU and the results are still the same...
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Sounds like the mobo to me. I mean you've pretty much tested everything else that could cause it.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by dyazdani
            Sounds like a bad mobo...
            same
            Jason

Comment

• Arneson
              • Jan 2006

The most common motherboard and power supply failure is caused by bad electrolytic capacitors.
              You can usually see the signs of failure by close examination of the larger caps near the voltage regulation chips.
              Many specific boards are failing for this reason. This is a good thing for me because I recap them if otherwise worthwhile.
              Jim

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Then you should talk to Dell. I replace the SX270 Mobos like it's going out of style because of blown caps. I bet I do (on average) 5 to 10 a day, everyday...

You'd make a lot of money replacing the caps on those boards! :T
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• whoaru99
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Arneson
                  The most common motherboard and power supply failure is caused by bad electrolytic capacitors.
                  You can usually see the signs of failure by close examination of the larger caps near the voltage regulation chips.
                  Many specific boards are failing for this reason. This is a good thing for me because I recap them if otherwise worthwhile.
                  Yeah, I had read something about that, but I've looked closely at all the caps on the mobo and there is no sign of bulging or leaking.

Guess I'll go for the mobo. For $50, it's probably worth a shot....

Thanks to all for the help and advice.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• whoaru99
                    • Jul 2004

Well, I received the new mobo and installed it.

The computer fired right up and started booting to the hard drive after I acknowledged the CMOS hardware updates/changes. At this point Windows said the computer had not shut down properly last time so I clicked normal startup and the computer ground away for a while then restarted on it's own.

It went through the BIOs screen and back to the Windows boot up so I figured it was good to go. Turned around to go get a cool one and had taken about about three steps toward the door when I heard a "pop" followed by silence. I rushed back to the computer to see a small whisp of smoke and that acrid burnt electronics smell. I quickly pulled the plug but no doubt too late.

A close look at the board shows a small crack and a tiny smoke trail on a chip the mobo book calls the "Super I/O".

Guess that was $50 down the drain...

Anyone think it was a mobo fault since the system seemed to be coming up OK, or just wishful thinking on my part?

Whaddya think now - hang it up and write this one off or claim faulty mobo?

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Wow that sucks!.... Any idea what caused the second one to go?
                      Jason

Comment

• whoaru99
                        • Jul 2004

Not a clue. It seemed to be going more or less the same as other computer builds I've done until *POP*, and then silence...

The only difference was that this one started booting to Windows instead of a blank drive as on a completely new builds I've done.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"