X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

BBB computer parts suggestions?

Biggest Bang for the Buck parts evaluation for bare bones system build.

I've used AMD with good success, but would use Intel or AMD, as required. I am not up on newest CPU styles, I have heard of the 64 bit AMDs, and the Core 2 Duo on the Intel side, that's about all I know. Socket? dunno new from old now.

Mobo?
    CPU?
    Cooler?
    Memory, at least 2 gig, prefer 3 to 4 gig capability, and no finicky memory requirements!

Price? Cheap as possible for decent, but not best quality.

Gaming not important, still graphics is. bragging rights not important. Want BBB system. I have graphics card that's ok for now I guess...

Case, check.
    drives ATA, no sata please
    Firewire, benefit, or enough PCI slots for a few extras like my Firewire card, etc...

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

This is nearly like asking what to do for an HT system, so many possibilities.

I recently built a "mid-fi" system for my inlaws.
    Intel E6600 Core Duo - $225
    Gigabyte mobo - $100
    2GB Ram (Corsair) - $50
    N-vidia PCIe video card (XFX) - $150
    300GB HDD (S-ATA) - $100

Since you already have a case and PS, you should be OK.

You can lower the cost by getting a slower CPU - like a 1.8GHz Core 2, possibly a cheaper mobo, but $100 is pretty reasonable.

Let me know a budget or what changes you want and I can put some more detail into it.
    Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

He could spend less on a video card as well. All he's doing is photo editing. Something like an 8500gt or maybe even 8400 series for under 100 bucks. Ram is so cheap nowadays deffinately get at least 2 gigs. For intel there aren't really any super cheap options for motherboards which isn't really a bad thing becasue there isn't as much junk. I would deffinately go a Core 2 Duo over an AMD X2 though.

P.S. Whats wrong with SATA drives?

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Case? Well, I probably have 4 cases, but who's counting, lol. I think your right on track with what I am looking to do.

So, has gigabyte attained a better name than Asus? Or just a good low budget board?

I have a decent vid card for now... don't remember model but I just bought last year. Actually, mine may be the 8500 GT or 8400, forget which.

Well, just asking for some real world examples of recommended components, that's all. I know I could make a pot of soup, and just pick some. Just hoping to learn from someone's positive experiences.

Dougie, I have 2 250 git ATA drives for now... there is nothing wrong with SATA I am sure. Just I don't own them, well yet.

Just to clarify one thing Dougie, when you say all I am doing is photo editing, actually Photoshop CSIII is one of the most demanding applications there is. Processing multitudes of 12 mpx files is no small processing task...
        Doug

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Gigabyte is just a good, reasonably priced board. Asus is great too, but tend to be a bit higher in price (not huge though, $30-50).

The only thing with using your existing video card is that it probably should be PCIe to make things easier on you. I'm not sure if they even make a Core 2 mobo with AGP graphics, never thought to look.

I can get some specific models when I get time. Are you OK with a SATA optical drive? I'm not certain that mobos these days have an abundance of IDE capacity. I typically cruise NewEgg and TigerDirect daily to see what's hot.
          Danish

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Well, soapbox time, I'm sick of standards changing requiring each PC to have ALL new parts. It just sucks. There's not a damn thing wrong with IDE, and not a damn thing wrong with PCI. B@st@rds.

Suddenly, instead of a new motherboard and CPU, I'm talking about an entire new computer except case and power supply. Even Sata requires compatible power supply, which I probably have, but still, crap! F$@#U$$$C@#$#@K#!#$^^

There, that felt good. I may continue to run this thing until it falls completely apart, that'll show em'.

Back to reality, I would like it to be PCI and IDE compatible if possible, if not, I will stall this build for sure, it's not all in budget after my 950.00 valve adjustment yesterday.
            Doug

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Doug, I picked this out about a month ago and it was a good BFTB then and should be even cheaper now:

An Asus M2N-E mobo:

An AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core 5200+

2GB DDR2 800 (1GB x 2) Kingston Ram

2 X Seagate 250GB, SATAII, 3GB, 16MB, 7200RPM, 8.5 MS, 24X7 possibly running in redundant Raid or....?

Asus EN8600GT SILENT/HTDP/256M

and a LiteOn 16X DVD-Rom and 20X DVD-RW with lightscribe
              I'd add too that if you need to get new drives and aren't re-using your 250Gb IDE drives, SATA is the way to go. Faster, cheaper and smaller cables for better ventilation. There's really no reason to stick with IDE in a new computer. FYI PCIe is also faster and generally cheaper too for graphics

IMO, I also think it's worth (closer to $20'ish) more for Asus mobo's for their driver support alone, I've also always had luck with product quality from them too.
              Jason

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Guys, I think someone is missing the point, I was looking to speed UPGRADE only, not build an entire new computer. If I can't upgrade it, then it's nothing. I'm not building a new complete system now, it is not in budget. A mobo, chip, memory fan is the extent of my investment outlay.

it's bullsh.. to have to get new Hard drives all peripherals when I don't need them, new graphics, new everything. I'll run it til it has flowers on it if that's the case.
                Doug

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Lex
                  Back to reality, I would like it to be PCI and IDE compatible if possible, if not, I will stall this build for sure, it's not all in budget after my 950.00 valve adjustment yesterday.
                  Sell your car and get a kickin' PC!
                  Danish

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

no thanks. I'll built it when it dies if I can't selectively upgrade stuff, I am not building a new system now. Sometimes, you have to draw some lines, and this one is drawn firm...
                    Doug

Comment

• dyazdani
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

What CPU do you have now? You might be able to speed that up and get some RAM for <$200 if you want.

The other option is to "upgrade" to an older (but less old then what you have) technology. You could get a higher P4 CPU if you currently had a P3 or whatever.

Maybe if you listed exactly what you have now, it would be easier.
                      Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Lex
                        Just to clarify one thing Dougie, when you say all I am doing is photo editing, actually Photoshop CSIII is one of the most demanding applications there is. Processing multitudes of 12 mpx files is no small processing task...
                        It's demanding yes but not on a video card More on the CPU and memmory.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by dyazdani
                          What CPU do you have now? You might be able to speed that up and get some RAM for <$200 if you want.
                          If the other machine is still working, this is the cheapest and easiest route. Heck you'd be amazed how much another 1-2GB or RAM will help with large graphics editing. And like Danish said depending on your existing mobo you may be able to get a faster, older CPU.

If you're looking at a new mobo, you're pretty much looking at new peripherals.
                          Jason

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

no can do, the machine will not recognize more than 1 gig of ram. motherboard drawback... I do have another single CPU mobo, that fits the athlons, but not sure my performance loss.

Dougie, I never said it was demanding on the video card... lol.

I was looking at Tom's and they were talking bout a 500.00 system. If I can do something like that and not buy the power supply and case, why can't this work, is the 500 pc a figment of their imagination?

Read the latest computer hardware news, analysis and opinions on Tom's Hardware and get a glimpse into the future of cutting edge tech. | Tom's Hardware

Actually, I could go about this a couple of ways, my pentium 4 notebook could be ram upgraded, and possibly process things I need to do.

I could leave my tower in tact and rebuild the second tower with budget "500.00 PC parts".

or I could just save my hungry operations for the office where it's likely I will always retain power.
                            Doug

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Lex
                              I was looking at Tom's and they were talking bout a 500.00 system. If I can do something like that and not buy the power supply and case, why can't this work, is the 500 pc a figment of their imagination?
                              All those parts I listed should be around $500 Doug
                              Jason

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

But Toms was with case and power supply that should be 150 right there probably... 500 - 150 = 350.
                                Doug

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Lex
                                  But Toms was with case and power supply that should be 150 right there probably... 500 - 150 = 350.
                                  Well a case & PS is closer to $75-$100 even CDN but yes you CAN build something that cheap if you want. Whether that cheap unit will be any better than what you already have is another question....
                                  Jason

Comment

• dyazdani
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Oct 2005

They listed out their prices at the end, ended up using a $100 Silverstone PS that drove up the price.

They used slightly older CPUs and a budget motherboard. That would be a good buy though for $350.
                                    Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

TigerDirect just tossed up a special - barebones system with case and PS for $99. It's got an older Athlon CPU and only 512MB of RAM, but $99
                                      Danish

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

99 bucks??? LOL wonder if they'd come down to 89?

looks like it brought their site down to it's knees. (not found)
                                        Doug

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by dyazdani
                                          TigerDirect just tossed up a special - barebones system with case and PS for $99. It's got an older Athlon CPU and only 512MB of RAM, but $99
                                          Again, I'd wager what he's got is already better :lol:
                                          Jason

Comment

• dyazdani
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Oct 2005

Yeah, it still needed some more parts, but for $99, it was a pretty good start. Case, PS, mobo, CPU, and RAM...

I was looking to upgrade my socket 478 P4 to a faster CPU and that alone was about $75 on eBay.
                                            Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                                              Again, I'd wager what he's got is already better :lol:
                                              Oh, I agree, no argument there, but sometimes depending on the specifics, you can salvage the good parts out of it.
                                              Danish

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"