X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

CPU Won't POST

Ack. Can anything go right? Simply put, turn on computer. No video signal, no hd noises, nothing.

It was working before. I installed and switched my HD. I left them out to test the new configuration and everything was working. I think I might have done something when I put them back in, don't know what. Checked the cables and everything. I'm going to remove and reinstall the hardware and check all the components cpu and ram. I hope it's an easy fix. I've read somewhere that I may need to just reset my bios.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Paul, is the power supply running when you start it?

Is the CPU fan connected?

Is this with the new graphics card? I suggest adding only 1 new component at a time and rebooting between each phase.

Check to make sure the graphics card is seated good, as well as the memory. Try booting with only 1 stick of ram.

Is the HD set to "master" or "slave" properly? Did you connect it to the same power plug as before? Are the IDE cables plugged in good?

To reset your bios, just yank the battery out of the board for 10 seconds or so, that forces it to refresh when you plug it back in.

Did you use CPU paste, or thermal conductor pad? (that won't keep it from running, but it sure could fry a CPU.)

Oh, is this a new mother board or the same one? If it is a new mother board, contacting the board to a mounting spacer in a position where there isn't a HOLE, will keep the board from posting. Trust me, I know.

That's all I can think of right off, goodluck man, I know how frustrating this can be.

Goodluck man!
    Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Paul, is the power supply running when you start it?
      Is the CPU fan connected?
      Yes, and I'm pretty sure it is.

Is this with the new graphics card? I suggest adding only 1 new component at a time and rebooting between each phase.
      No, this is before installing the new card. But after the CDRW/DVD install. Was tempted to do it all at once, but I knew that would probably mess me right up.

Check to make sure the graphics card is seated good, as well as the memory. Try booting with only 1 stick of ram.
      Yup, did the reseating. Didn't go as far as booting with only 1 stick, but that was one thing I was going to try.

Is the HD set to "master" or "slave" properly? Did you connect it to the same power plug as before? Are the IDE cables plugged in good?
      The master/slave conundrum was worked on 2 weeks ago. I did change the order, when I installed the CDRW/dvd drive. But I checked and both booted and operated properly. Rechecked the IDE cables.

To reset your bios, just yank the battery out of the board for 10 seconds or so, that forces it to refresh when you plug it back in.
      Thanks for the info, I was eyeing that battery very closely. Last resort sort of thing.

Did you use CPU paste, or thermal conductor pad? (that won't keep it from running, but it sure could fry a CPU.)
      Actually, I haven't used anything. Just a heatsink and fan. I've got a cpu temp monitor and it doesn't move past 36 deg centigrate. Which appears normal.

Oh, is this a new mother board or the same one? If it is a new mother board, contacting the board to a mounting spacer in a position where there isn't a HOLE, will keep the board from posting. Trust me, I know.
      This is the same mother board. That is one reason I'm not looking to upgrade to a new mother board.

That's all I can think of right off, goodluck man, I know how frustrating this can be.
      Thanks for the tips. I also noticed my monitor was unplugged, so I hooked that backup as well. On the next try the PC booted up. Now having the monitor unplugged shouldn't affect the bootup sequence at all. So I don't know what it was. I just wiggled and checked all the cables and connections again.
      Paul

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Now having the monitor unplugged shouldn't affect the bootup sequence at all.
        I don't know...not all motherboards have an audible alert for a successful POST.

A monitor might be necessary. I think there is limited two way info sent via the monitor cable. Not 100% sure on this though.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Interesting. Well, Sili is probably right, not all beep, does yours usually Paul? If not, then I expect it posted all along, and you just didn't know it because of the monitor unplugged. Maybe anyway.

Hope all is smooth sailing from here! No problem on the suggestions.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"