X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1golfnut
    • Nov 2007

B&W 803 Speaker cables

Have been trying to work on speaker cables for my 803 speakers! I have been disappointed with the Audioquest Montblanc heavy wobbly base, Kimber 8 very sharp at the top end. Has any one else out there been through the process and able to help out with some suggestions and post some of their experiences in finding the perfect cable? If there is such a thing. I am running the B&W803 speakers with Plinius SA250IV, Arcam FMJ9 with a Marantz DV9600 CD/DVD Player. All connected with Audioquest Cheetah interconnects. Any suggestions would be appreciated?
  • Pookie007
    • Apr 2006

The website is sponsored by the manufacture of CAT cables. Discussing cables is a violation of the forum rules. I have the same speakers as you and I got a set of Cat Cables earlier this year. Doug custom made to the proper length so I don't have any wasted cable and I got them so I have 2 sets of bananas on the speaker end and a single set on the amp end. Prior to my CAT cables I had a very big name brand set of speaker cables that cost over twice the price. I use an Audio Research amp and I love these cables. I don't know how to describe the difference but the music seemed as if the room was bigger and the music had more air under it. It brought of the reasons I got an ARC amp instead of a Krell or Mac. The build quality if exceptional also. There is a banner on the top of the site you can click.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Is it really against policy to discuss cables at all? I didn't know that. In any event, I think the OP should ask to have this transferred to another forum as it will likely get more replies than in the Front Projector forum.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Well, first, welcome to the forum 1golfnut.

Two, you posted this in the wrong section of the forum for sure.

Three, as Pookie said, we don't encourage open ended cable talk here, as my company CAT Cables is joint owner of this forum with it's parent Matrix AV.

So, my best recommendation is many many people use CatCables Cattails with B & W speakers. I will also add that my Kingcat audio interconnects have kicked serious bootie on the analog side.

Oh, and in case anyone wondered who was using CAT names for cables first? That's CATCables.com. We started almost 7 years ago, the original.

The rules are fairly explicit Ovation, posts that encourage talk of many different brands of cables are forbidden. Casual mention of cables you use is one thing, I think you'll find there is some discussion going on around the forum, but people are generally sensitive to the fact CAT is owned by the same company as this forum.

Open ended requests for cable brands are not allowed:

So, I use X brand cables, what do you use?

What brand do you suggest for my system?

Above (opens the floor for mention of every cable out there, not allowed.)

Direct linking to cable sites, not allowed, promotion or otherwise pushing of web based brands not allowed. Casual mention of cables in the normal flow of audio video is allowed.

I think you'll find that senior members of this forum support the rules even if they don't use CAT Cables because they understand that CAT helps this forum survive. Cat Cables customers support the rule because well... just read Pookie's post, I think that sentiment fairly well expresses why.

thanks.
        Doug
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• zmanbands
          • May 2007

I love my Kingcat silver interconnects

I too have had many different IC's in my system, some several times the kingcat cost. In the past 28 years my present kingcats are the clear winner. See my comments on the cat cables web site.

Comment

• Yasvanth
            • Jun 2006

Hi

Have you tried Nordost Speaker cables within your system in the past?

Yas

Comment

• Alloroc
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

This particular topic has tripped me up once or twice in the past (my early days on the board) and I would like to state that I fully respect and adhere to Doug's rules, the following is what tripped me up once or twice when wanting to post about cables. It's the introduction to and desciption of the Audio Hideout forum.

"For the connoisseur of fine audio. Whether 2 channel and multichannel format, solid state and tube electronics, discuss it here. Also, hardware related SACD, DVD Audio, vinyl, high end speakers "and audio enhancements including high end cables."

While I appreciate that CAT Cables are high end cables in their own right, the section in bold can be a little misleading to the uninitiated and those who might not have taken to time to read the rules. Perhaps it could be amended?

Not trying to be belligerent, just trying to help out with some potential confusion.
              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Vincent, go to jail: go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Comment

• 1golfnut
                  • Nov 2007

Thanks guys for the info, that its not the done thing discussing competitor cables to that of the "Cat Cables", as without their support this forum site would struggle. But some of you may be able to advise on their experiences as to the sound of the "Cat Cables"? Surley this is a forum site to help bring up such issues, such as how has it influenced the base or top end? I know every one is different as to their likes and dislikes but some one out there must have had the same dilemma as I!

Comment

• Bob Santos
                    • Mar 2001

Although I haven't tried any speaker cats, I have been using the Silver Cat interconnects since Doug started the company. I absoloutely love them. I have a few diffrerent sets of high end interconnects. Dougs cable's are right at home being compared to the big name expensive brands. I have been wanting to try the cattails for a while. I will break down and order some eventually I am sure.

Comment

• zmanbands
                      • May 2007

Hi golfnut. Did some myself. The silver kingcats improved just about everything significantly. Did you read my post on the cat website???

Comment

• twitch54
                        • Apr 2006

Hello there "GolfNut", don't feel bad about being 'raked over the coals' regarding cable discussion, for I was taken out to the 'woodshed' awhile back by Doug as well !, and FWIW, I now use the Silver KingCats (Balanced XLR) between my CDP>Preamp>Amp. With pleasing results I might add !

Now if you want to discuss cables check out, www.audiocircle.com or www.audioasylum.com . There is plenty of "Meaty" discussion on either one !
                        Dave

Comment

• Dmm53
                          • Nov 2007

I recently bought Silvercats for my MAC 352 and C41 setup and found them to sound fantastic. I went ahead and went for the biwire Cats for my 803S. Great build quality, still burning them in. Sound great so far!

Also nice guys to deal with.

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Haven't gotten the Cattails myself (yet!) , but I'm most pleased with my Silvercat and Kingcat ICs. If I didn't believe in them %100 I wouldn't comment at all. I appreciate the role they play in keeping our little playground active , but I wouldn't blow smoke up anyone's fundament. The cables I've replaced with CATs were given away-and cost more than their replacements!
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• 1golfnut
                              • Nov 2007

Well guys I think its time to end this Forum!
                              As Lex the Administrator Says -
                              "The rules are fairly explicit Ovation, posts that encourage talk of many different brands of cables are forbidden. Casual mention of cables you use is one thing, I think you'll find there is some discussion going on around the forum, but people are generally sensitive to the fact CAT is owned by the same company as this forum.

Open ended requests for cable brands are not allowed:

So, I use X brand cables, what do you use?

What brand do you suggest for my system?

Above (opens the floor for mention of every cable out there, not allowed.).

Not wanting to undermine the great effort Lex and the Cat Cables team do to help keep this Forum going. Along with the fact I published the request in the wrong forum thread!

I should have read the rules fully and got to know this forum first before jumping in with Questions to get answers to puzzling questions on cables.

Comment

• twitch54
                                • Apr 2006

golfnut, man it's only a public forum, don't get too worked up !

So, it's been two months, have you made a choice ?
                                Dave

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Hey 1golfnut!
                                  Don't be so hard on yourself!
                                  This forum will only survive if people just like yourself join and participate.
                                  Everyone here is ready offer advice and input, and learn from everyone.
                                  I spend the majority of my internet audio time here because of the civility and knowledge of the forum's members. Sophomoric and childish babble is nearly nonexistent here, and that is why HTGuide is always my fist stop for info, advice and comradery within our at times, obsessive hobby.
                                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alloroc
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                    Sophomoric and childish babble is nearly nonexistent here, and that is why HTGuide is always my fist stop for info, advice and comradery within our at times, obsessive hobby.
                                    Let me echo this comment. I spent may a year wasting my time at myriad fora - finding oneself in the middle of a daft debate with no quarter offered for individual opinion and reasoned debate. Since joining this forum, I spend little or no time on any other A/V. now I'll be the first to say that I'm not a catcables customer - yet - but when it's time for a new pair of cables, I will buy some - actually, probably hdmi, now that I come to think about it....

So, kick back and jump in. The service that this forum provides to all us a/v nuts is immesurable and we'd probably be lost without it.
                                    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• 1golfnut
                                      • Nov 2007

Cheers Guys,
                                      No fare of me jumping off the tallest building!
                                      I enjoy reading and viewing photo's of HT setups that are posted in forums such as this. As Alloroc says "Debate is good Daft or not"
                                      Like all like minded HiFi enthusiasts its great to get other peoples opinions and ideas, then apply the best that suits your needs and budget. Here in New Zealand we are limited for choice so forums like this open our eyes to what some of you take for granted.
                                      Much to my wife's frustration, forums like this also allows us to dream of the next level.
                                      Or only if / what if ????? Questions Questions Questions.
                                      We nuts like to find out if the choice made is the right choice.
                                      Hence I still have not made a final decision on the correct type of connections to complete my system, but one day? Who knows.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"