X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Supernova
    • Mar 2017

Suggestions for 2.1 desktop system?

I wanted to put together a desktop system with a DAC and amplifier or intergrated amp and DAC that would power 8 ohm speakers and has between 80 and 100 watts. I'd also like the unit to be able to run my headphones. My budget is around $1000. I found plenty of DACs in the mid $500 range (schiit, emotiva etc), but haven't found a good amp that would put the entire package in the $1000 range. I'm looking for something compact, so none of the full size components. The only thing I found that comes close is Wyred4Sounds mINT integrated amplifier and that comes in at $1500, which is doable, but wanted to see if there were other options?

Oh and I have a power sub for the room.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

maybe this NAD?

D3020
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Supernova
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by wkhanna
      maybe this NAD?

D3020
      That's a nice unit. A little less power than I was looking for. This will be used to drive some Concentric 8's and in a large office with a sofa in the back. While I don't always listen at high volume there are times when I finish a mix or track and like to listen at louder levels in the back. I guess I'm just trying to see what'a available. I've seen a lot of brands on this site I had never heard of before.

Comment

• DDF
        • Dec 2007

nuprime ida8, but doesnt have headphone out. Loving mine on the desktop, 2.1. Detailed, great sence of space, very easy to listen to

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

The NAD seems to be above the power floor for those speakers, and the NAD should provide sufficient current to drive them, depending on their sensitivity of course.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

And like other NAD's, it's designed to provide higher peak power for transients, above the continuous power rating.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Supernova
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by DDF
              nuprime ida8, but doesnt have headphone out. Loving mine on the desktop, 2.1. Detailed, great sence of space, very easy to listen to

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
              That's a very good find. I'm not familiar with nuPrime, but they have a couple amps that could be used in a combo like the NUPRIME AUDIO STA-6 with the emotiva DAC or Schiit DAC. The benefit with a combo is I gain a headphone amplifier and can upgrade the other components in the future (probably wont).

Originally posted by Alaric
              The NAD seems to be above the power floor for those speakers, and the NAD should provide sufficient current to drive them, depending on their sensitivity of course.
              93dB - 2.83V/1m sensitivity. I tend to prefer having extra overhead when driving a speakers (could be something wrong with my internal wiring), but it may not make a difference.

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              And like other NAD's, it's designed to provide higher peak power for transients, above the continuous power rating.
              I see a lot of people here really like the NAD. I just moved to NZ from Colorado Springs and gave up 2 NAD 2400's because they would require a step down converter. They were very old amps and pretty average, but they were acquired from my parents estate, so I can't complain. My only reserve with NAD is that I bought a CD player from them in college, more than 25 years ago, and it never worked properly. I sent it in several times for service and they sent it back, but it still didn't work. It would play for a few minutes and then just stop and it didn't matter what CD I used the same problem happened every time. The second time they sent it back it had white goo on the power cord and housing. After the second time they refused to service it any further. It never worked properly and always left me feeling screwed. It was a big purchase for me at the time and I had no recourse. I know it was a long long time ago and just a CD transport, but it's gives me reservation. I'm sure in that time management and quality of products has changed.

Anyone else familiar with NuPrime? Any reservations about using something like the STA-6 with a Schiity DAC or the DC-1? Will the NAD be a better unit or does it even matter at this price point?

I appreciate the help.

Comment

• DDF
                • Dec 2007

I thought about the same amps you are but to me this seemed to have a better rep for sound quality. I bought it sight unseen on a risk, but have no regrets. I design my own audio gear for many years so no buyers blindness (and I think a pretty keen ear), and the unit ain't perfect, but its trade offs are perfect for what I wanted in an office system.

The unit is small, looks great, plays loud enough. It doesn't have the current reserves of a NAD (different design architecture). If your speakers are low impedance, NAD will give you more voltage for the same "8 ohm" power rating. But if you're speakers are 93 db sensitive, this will still crush.

My experience with NAD is that it had a dynamic, almost punch sound, in this price range. Don't know if the D3020 or others of that ilk do as well. The Nuprime doesn't have that sort of sound. I level matched it (<0.1 dB) against the Bryston it replaced and the Bryston sounded subjectively louder as it was a punchy amp. The Nuprime will kick if turned up, but at lower levels, its less obtrusive and has no hype, but great detail, and awesome imaging. Perfect for what I wanted in an office system where it's not distracting, still sounds fantastic. I listen to music allot more now while I work. It also has a dedicated "sub out" but with no filters, works as intended. Remote is good but needs line of site. Only 1 analog i/p but probably more than enough for most

Nuprime IIRC correctly are the same guys as the old Nuforce, been around a long time.

Not sure how critical your HD listening will be, but what I do is use the Nuprime for 2.1 speakers and a separate HRT microstreamer for HD.

With the favourable US exchange rate, you might get a good deal at:
                NuPrime is a company committed to design, engineering, and excellence. It’s made up of talented engineers who are passionate about what they do. In 2015, NuPrime received four prestigious Product Of The Year awards and was recognized in two high-end audio magazines. Over the years, NuPrime has been honored by more and

No affiliation with the store, but bought mine there and had it in my hands a week later, no muss, no fuss.

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Nuforce made some nice stuff. Some early makers of actually decent sounding Class D amps when that wasn't so easy to find.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Supernova
                    • Mar 2017

Thanks guys for the help. Tough choice to make. I see benefits of both the NAD and NuPrime. That Canadian price is good, I wonder if they ship to New Zealand. I'll have to check the price to that of an Australian distributor, but those bloody Aussie's usually gouge us New Zealanders. I usually find it cheaper to buy in the US and ship it over and I haven't been here long.

Comment

• Supernova
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by DDF
                      With the favourable US exchange rate, you might get a good deal at:
                      NuPrime is a company committed to design, engineering, and excellence. It’s made up of talented engineers who are passionate about what they do. In 2015, NuPrime received four prestigious Product Of The Year awards and was recognized in two high-end audio magazines. Over the years, NuPrime has been honored by more and

No affiliation with the store, but bought mine there and had it in my hands a week later, no muss, no fuss.
                      I inquired and they do not ship outside of Canada, but certainly good prices.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"