Anyone have experience with Proton, AMC, NAD amps?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PatG
    • May 2024

Anyone have experience with Proton, AMC, NAD amps?

I have been considering an integrated amp/receiver from one of these manufacturers but have not found a ton of info. NAD obviously has the strongest presence here in the states but their products seem to get mixed reviews (like the 7225PE or 7240PE). Proton is more popular in Europe (Translated pages make about as much sense as a nursery rhyme), 520, D940 and D540 seem to have a following. AMC's line of power amps seems solid with some excited reviews but also quite a few hohum reviews as well, valve amps seem to have reliability issues (I have their CD8b, not bad). Wondering if anybody here has experience with any of these guys.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Sorry, I have no experience with "NADS".

(tee hee)
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• twitch54
      • Apr 2006

While I don't own anything from NAD, a friends new 'Masters' Series Integrated M3 sounds quite nice driving his Vienna Acoustics.

Alot depends on what Speakers you will be driving, for the synergistic match of components is often overlooked.
      Dave

Comment

• seeker
        • Mar 2007

I've had a D540 for a long time, and it developed a scratchy volume (which I cured), and an intermittent right channel (which I also easily fixed with a little lube). Also have an AA-2120 dual mono with the giant blue-green meters, which I tend to think of as a poor man's Macintosh. Never had any issues with it, and would like another. I notice they go for as much or more than what I paid for it in 2000 (325.00) on epay today.
        Steve

Comment

• PatG

I have noticed that certain Proton amps and receivers can go for an astounding amount of money considering their initial cost some 20 odd years ago. I am currently using a Trends TA10.1 T-amp as my main source of power, it is smooth and detailed...VERY different from the Onkyo TX-sr602 that it replaced. I love the little guy but it just doesn't have the output to drive any of my speakers with any authority so I'm looking for a little more power while hoping to maintaining the smooth, "musical" qualities of the Trends.

Comment

• ktaillon
            • Jun 2004

I do own an AMC amp, I can't remember the model number but its a 4 channel amp that could be setup as a two or three channel amp as well. It has 45 watts over the 4 channels and bridged into two channels of 90 watts.

Power is pretty good and sounds very clean. The only thing that I don't like about it, is when you shut down the amp there is a small pop.

If I were to purchase another amp I would look at the NAD or and Adcom.

Comment

• PatG

Sounds like you are describing the AMC 2445, a tempting option since it can output four discrete channels (great for bi-amping). There is an NAD 7240PE for sale up the road,I may check that out over the next few days.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"