How Good Are HD DVD Players As CD Players?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spyboy
    • Jun 2005

How Good Are HD DVD Players As CD Players?

I recentely bought a Toshiba HD A2, I wonder how good it is as a CD player?

Thanks In Advance
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Very good question, for a fact how good are they, and is BD better than HD or vice versa too? Any digitheads been playing with this?
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• James63
      • Dec 2006

Well I have a Toshiba HD-A1 (not a 2) and it sounds extremely good for the money. I use its internal DAC conected though anologs and it sounds very good. It has strong bass and a clean sound.

The down side of the A2 (they no longer make the A1) is that is does not have anolog outs. I am not sure how good it will be with out it and it will come down to how good your DAC is.

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Ill say this. The A1 is VERY good as a CD player. They used high quality DACs in order to showcase the new audio formats and the quality shines through with CD playback IMO.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
          • Apr 2005

37 MHz video clocks make mediocre audio master clocks...
          if you have a DVD player with a separate video clock and Audio Clock... you're all set...
          unfortunately that's rare...

Just my 2 cents

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Well, did the high end A1 have separate audio master clocks? I do think the audio sounds very good on the system from DVD. I have not played CD in mine though. I have the A1 and the Sony top model in BD. I have not played CD because I have a Rega jupiter.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Well, I have no idea as to the clocks, however, I really enjoy cd's through my XA1 via multi-ch outputs.
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• James63
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Lex
                Well, did the high end A1 have separate audio master clocks? I do think the audio sounds very good on the system from DVD. I have not played CD in mine though. I have the A1 and the Sony top model in BD. I have not played CD because I have a Rega jupiter.

Different clocks?

What I do know it that it is a great CD player for the money. I don't know how it would hold up to some of the $3000 and up CD players?

I am suprised you did not like the sound for DVDs. Where they HD-DVDs or SD-DVDs? Also were you using the anologe outs so you could get Ture-HD audio and Dolby Digital+?

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

He said it sounded very good on dvd's. Don't see anything in there where he says he didn't like it.

Comment

• James63
                    • Dec 2006

oh I just read it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"