X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff
    • Dec 2004

Tight bass achieved

I've been experimenting with my Benchmark DAC1 by using it's volume control in addition to my pre/pro volume. When I play track where the accoustical bass player is featured up front in the mix, the bass line is tighter and slightly more dynamic. The artist which I'm currently comparing is Brian Bromberg, who's an accomplished accouostical bass player.

This is most apparent when I set the Benchmark volume knob to 50% and increase the pre/pro volume output to the same level as it would be having the Benchmark set at 100%.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Jeff
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Gee , tweaking (owner involvement) makes a difference? Can't comment on the Benchmark , but yeah , some fine tuning will generally make a huge difference in the musical experience. Good question , though. Have to wonder if it's the source or the DAC.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• OttoMatic
      • Jan 2007

Jeff,

Interesting. I did notice the improved bass clarity and definition with the Benchmark DAC-1. I used the volume control to level match its outputs and that of my Outlaw 990's DAC. I had borrowed it from a friend and pretty much just left it where it was set after the level matching. I'm still considering buying one, and will give that a try if I get my hands on another.

Thanks for the info!
      -- Otto
      Misc Pics

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

I've found similar results in the past, and present, though the details will differ. I find my DAC1 also sounds best at around 50% volume (+or- 25%). I suspect using the (adjustable) fixed output set at the optimal level may, again may, be better - but my preamp lacks a remote control, so I have the DAC1 placed where I can reach the volume control.
        I set my preamp at 1/2 and adjust the volume with the DAC1, unless I want
        to listen at either higher or lower levels then I will adjust the preamp to again
        keep the DAC1 operating at about the middle of its range.
        Probably the details depend on your combo of dac and preamp, and amp. But it is certainly something worth experimenting with. My theory is that transistors (and probably tubes) work best when operating near the middle of their useful range of amplification.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"