X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pyroponic
    • Apr 2005

Benchmark DAC1 w/ Rotel

Hello, I own a Rotel RMB-1095 and a RSP-1068. The Benchmark DAC1 has a variable gain, so I can either set that high and the RSP-1068 volume low, or turn the gain down but turn the RSP-1068 volume high. Which should it be?
  • JDH
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by pyroponic
    Hello, I own a Rotel RMB-1095 and a RSP-1068. The Benchmark DAC1 has a variable gain, so I can either set that high and the RSP-1068 volume low, or turn the gain down but turn the RSP-1068 volume high. Which should it be?
    I own a Benchmark DAC 1, RSP-1066 and RB-1080, RMB-1075. I connect DAC1 to the RSP-1066 with a fixed output (ie. high) and let the RSP-1066 control the output to the amplifier. I also sometimes bypass the RSP-1066 completely using the DAC 1 as a pre-amp connected directly to the RB-1080 using balanced XLR connections.

If you are not making a direct connection between the DAC1 and your RMB-1095 and using the RSP-1068 as the pre-amp then you may as well set the DAC 1 to fixed output (use the toggle switch on the back of the DAC1) and let the RSP-1068 control the output. Either way will still work
    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• bleeding ears
      • Nov 2004

guys, what cd players are you using with the dac 1 and can you describe the difference using the dac 1 over the cd player on its own.

Also where do you get a dac 1 in Oz and what are they going for?

Pete

Comment

• JDH
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bleeding ears
        guys, what cd players are you using with the dac 1 and can you describe the difference using the dac 1 over the cd player on its own.

Also where do you get a dac 1 in Oz and what are they going for?

Pete
        I use 3 differnent digital sources with the DAC 1 ie.

1. Slimdevices - Squeezebox 3 (computer based music server)
        2. Yamaha HD1300 - CDR HDD (CD writer with hard disc)
        3. Panasonic DVD recorder and sometimes Pioneer DVD player.

The Slimdevices Squeezebox or Yamaha HD1300 are the ones I use regularly for CD playback.

My CD players above are OK using their internal DAC's or the RSP-1066 DAC's however the dedicated DAC adds more detail and tighter base, I also use the DAC 1 as a headphone amp for my Sennhieser HD600 headphones. The DAC 1 cost more than my RSP-1066, however I was happy with the price paid for the additional sound quality gained.

I purchased the silver version of the Benchmark DAC 1 from a Sydney HiFi store for $1480 AUD, I think the RRP is $1795 based on the Australian Distributors web page. The HiFi store in Sydney I purchased it from was very helpful and ordered it in as one off special order, they are located at Five Dock, PM me if you need further details.
        Last edited by JDH; 04 May 2006, 01:50 Thursday.
        Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

JDH, thanks for that, its something for me to aim for, but for now I will stick with what I have.

Its interesting to know how components change the sound and if the change is always an improvement or not.

I wonder how it would compare with the Rotel 1072 ? or other Rotel cd players?

Anyone been there and done that ?

Comment

• Taito
            • Sep 2004

Spearmint has. There was quite a discussion a while ago on another forum. He'll know which one.

-Ben

Comment

• bleeding ears
              • Nov 2004

thanks taito, I will do a search first and see what comes up.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"