• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Portable earphones

Hi,

Any Shure E4c or E5c owners out there? I'm thinking about get a pair of either one. E5c are really very expensive and I don't think I can justify the price. That said, any owners our there think they're worth twice the price of the E4c? I'd love to hear your opinions.

I have the Sennheiser PCX300 noise cancellation headphones and they're just great, particularly for flights or bus or train rides. A bit bulky though. That's why I'd like something a bit smaller and compact.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • gross30
    • Jun 2005

Alloroc, they are definately worth the price. I use them on the Ipod, and they come with quite an elaborate set of different variations of sizes for comfort etc. Very pleased with them.

Comment

• Alloroc
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Hi,

Just an update. I got myself a pair of the Shure E530s with the PTH function.

Wow. They're amazing. They're the triple driver version. I found them to have really crisp, clear highs, controlled mids and when in properly, the bass is as it should be. The Push To Hear feature is really useful for the office. When the buds are in just right, it's a real pain to remove them when someone pops in to ask me something. They work great with my Ipod and my Walkmam cellphone.

They were on offer in Dixon's Tax Free shop in London Heathrow T1 terminal. Worked out at about $400.
      Vincent.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

My only problem with the Shure's is I couldn't seem to find an earbud that was really comfortable. That memory foam one worked ok though. I think when I get another mp3 device (probably a creative) I'll get some on ear headphones.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

BTW I had the E4C's

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
            My only problem with the Shure's is I couldn't seem to find an earbud that was really comfortable. That memory foam one worked ok though. I think when I get another mp3 device (probably a creative) I'll get some on ear headphones.
            Check these out then. I bought them at the same time. The phones came with a set of all the other sleeve types. I found the grey soft flex best until I tried these. They're like a cross between the memory foam sleeves and the grey flex type. They're really comfortable and they isolate better too. They'll also fit your e4cs.

Leading manufacturer of microphones for live, touring and studio applications. Professional audio manufacturer of in-ear monitoring systems and sound isolating earphones.
            Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

You can do a search here in the Guide for "Etymotic". I use their audiophile earphones, and they're awesome.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• sokoban
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                You can do a search here in the Guide for "Etymotic". I use their audiophile earphones, and they're awesome.
                I use their cheaper earphones. They're about $70 online and are awesome for the price.

Comment

• ericwatson
                  • Nov 2006

get your self a good portable headphone amp to go with the shure's and they will really open up look for a RSA emmeline tomahawk there small light weight and sound great and I saw one on ebay today up for auction good deal these little amp's retail
                  for $299.00 new plus shipping so if you can get one used it might save you some money.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                    I have a rather special problem that, perhaps, you experienced ear bud users can help me with.

I have a built '89 Jeep Wrangler softop that is hellaciously noisy on the highway. In order to protect my hearing I almost always use earplugs for trips that are anything longer than a few miles. Don't warn me about the legal ramifications. Here, in New Mexico, they are not illegal and even if they were I would still use them. My hearing is too precious to me.

Here's the problem. With all the noise and with earplugs plugged into my little head, I can't hear the stereo unless I turn it up to distortion producing levels. I have been seeking a solution and maybe the Shure ear buds are the answer. I'm not afraid of the money.

What do you think? It would be quite easy to switch the speakers out when the buds are plugged in. In fact I would take it a step further and, using resistors, sum in the speaker output of my Cogra CB. Normally it is squelched so it won't interfere with the music unless a strong signal is present.

Thanks, Sparky

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

How can your car possibly be that loud that you need earbuds? And still be street legal?

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
                        I'm not even talking about exhaust noise which is quiet. At 60 mph the tires are whining, the top flapping and snapping, wind noise, etc all add up to a noisy ride. Maybe you have never been in a built Jeep. Take my word for it, it is noisy (and legal).

That plus I'm very protective of my ears. So I'm trying to come up with something to replace my ear plugs so I can hear the radio/CD player better.

BTW, I only have an after market dash mounted radio/CD combo unit. It is not a custom stereo or anything like that. I'm using the stock dash mounted speakers.

Sparky

Comment

• Finleyville
                          • Sep 2006

I own the Shure E5's. I love them. I use their "triple-flange" earpiece. I have listened to the E3's and found the E5's to be worth the extra price. I haven't heard the E4's though. I did listen to the newest Shure's for a little while. (E500?) I thought they were every bit as good as my older E5's. I wish I had the time to A/B them. I probably would have chosen the new ones to mine.

BTW, I think the Shure's are a fuller sounding earpiece than any of Ety's offerings. Just my opinion.....
                          BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• DSGCobra
                            • Feb 2003

E4c's here. I use the yellow memory foam those have been the most comfortable to me so far. My last trip to sao paulo they were in my ears for 9+ hours. I do have a large supply of them though while my ears are very clean the foam seems to get nasty quick. Keep a couple packages in my laptop bag. E4's can be had on ebay for well under $200 I have no heard the E5's but am very happy with the 4's

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

I agree about the foam getting nasty. DSGCobra, where you you buy your extras?
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                I agree about the foam getting nasty. DSGCobra, where you you buy your extras?
                                You won't have that problem with the black foam sleeves mentioned above...

They're washable also...
                                Vincent.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"