X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Falcongaurd
    • Jan 2006

Noob with a sub-woofer question.

Hi!
    Thanks for taking time to read my post. I am building a house, and in it will be a home theater. My low voltage guy installed the wiring, and told me my sub woofer outlets would be coax. Well, my existing out of the box HT system has a regular powered sub, connecting with speaker wire. How would I do this? And what do ai need to look for when buying the sub for my theater? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

More details on your system would help, but

a passive sub works with speaker wire and an

active sub must be powered by ac and works off coax like cable.

Kobus

Comment

• Alloroc
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Falcongaurd
      Hi!
      Thanks for taking time to read my post. I am building a house, and in it will be a home theater. My low voltage guy installed the wiring, and told me my sub woofer outlets would be coax. Well, my existing out of the box HT system has a regular powered sub, connecting with speaker wire. How would I do this? And what do ai need to look for when buying the sub for my theater? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
      Most subs out there will be active - meaning there is an amplifier inside and therefore requires mains power. Active subs hook up to your reciever/processor via a coaxial cable. I assume this is your situation, however knowing what equipment you already have will help.

Passive subs are like regular speakers in so far as they do not require mains power as they are powered from your amplifier/reciever.
      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

When we built our current house, I installed two runs of coax wire through the walls. Once the walls were finished, I put an RCA plug on the end of each one, and they now run to my two active (powered) subwoofers.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Falcongaurd
          • Jan 2006

System

My system is as follows:
          pioneer elite vsx 82-txs
          2 martin logan clarity front
          martin logan fresco center
          the surrounds are a set of speaker i owned prior to the new setup

in my living room i have a standard yamaha ht in a box system. I know the sub has to be plugged in. all of the wire is pre run.

in the theater, i have two place to put a sub. one in front, the other in the back. both are coax. I am looking for something not too extravagant, because i will continue adding on as time goes forward. I saw that i could use a coax to RCA adapter. Did i read that right? That could solve my problems for now.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"