X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spearmint
    • Sep 2004

Balanced XLR and phase reversal

What happens when pins 2 & 3 are reversed?

I’ve done a bit of a search and although I read some fantastic posts about balanced topology, I haven’t been able to find out what the consequences are if pins 2 & 3 are reversed.

My Moon P-5 pre amp through a Behringer CX2310 crossover and Elektra Power amp all use the European standard of pin 2+ and pin 3- whereas the Marantz S11 SACD player uses the American standard of pin 2- and pin 3+.

So my question is do I need to use an adaptor or modify the interconnects or just give it a run?
    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Reverse 2+3 and you invert signal polarity (phase for all frequencies).

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Spearmint
      • Sep 2004

Thanks Kal.

Is it better to correct this, or try it and see?
      Richard

Comment

• Spearmint
        • Sep 2004

I rang around a few shops today looking for a XLR adaptor to crossover the wires, one of the places I rang the tech told me that if I was running balanced from start to finish he said the phase shouldn’t be an issue, he said it’s when you go from balanced – un-balanced that it becomes an issue, does this sound right?

Anyway I’m going to get some leads made with pins 2 & 3 crossed so that should solve any potential problems.
        Richard

Comment

• Kobus
          • Aug 2005

I can not believe the there are 2 standards for this, MG.

I thought it was a universal standard.
          1 - X - eXterior
          2 - L - Live
          3 - R - Return

Classe, Canadian also use this.

Kobus

Comment

• ToddAnisman
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Kobus
            I can not believe the there are 2 standards for this, MG.

I thought it was a universal standard.
            1 - X - eXterior
            2 - L - Live
            3 - R - Return

Classe, Canadian also use this.

Kobus
            ??? You're describing an unbalanced pinout using an insert cable..

There are 2 standards for the wiring of XLR's. It's been an industry joke for a looooonnnngggg Time.

The modern Accepted standard is Pin 2 HOT. HOWEVER, Sony is Pin 3 hot. Much older American stuff is Pin 3 hot. Most canadian (ie. Bryston etc.) is Pin 2 hot.

It's best to consult your manufacturer or get a schematic.

Most gear will state on the back or in the manual whether its pin 2 or pin3 hot.

-Todd A.

Comment

• ToddAnisman
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Spearmint
              What happens when pins 2 & 3 are reversed?

I’ve done a bit of a search and although I read some fantastic posts about balanced topology, I haven’t been able to find out what the consequences are if pins 2 & 3 are reversed.

My Moon P-5 pre amp through a Behringer CX2310 crossover and Elektra Power amp all use the European standard of pin 2+ and pin 3- whereas the Marantz S11 SACD player uses the American standard of pin 2- and pin 3+.

So my question is do I need to use an adaptor or modify the interconnects or just give it a run?
              Definitey modify the interconnects. Your transient response may take a hit if you don't (I am not familiar with the amp, but in theory you could be making the first motino ofthe speaker go IN instead of Out....)

Also, there is no american standard of Pin 3+. That's been altered for some time to Pin 2+. Almost every major studio is wired in this manner now. However, the major exception is Sony which is Pin 3 and causes all kinds of headaches....

he he he he... We have a sign up on the wall that has one of those little arrows that you can flick to spin it...That's how we determine which pin to wire hot...

-Todd A.

Comment

• Spearmint
                • Sep 2004

Thanks for the post Todd.

I was repeating what the Marantz manual said in regards to European and American standards. Thank you for the clarification.

A mate has modified a couple of leads for me and I pick them up this afternoon.
                Richard

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"