bass is louder when the statements out of phase but!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

bass is louder when the statements out of phase but!

hey guys i was doing some test tones out of boredom on my statements and noticed that the bass is louder/deeper when the speakers are out of phase. or should i say when bass in phase and mids/tweet out of phase? the imaging gets 'spacy' and dispersed at the same time. so i said this must be because i wired the woofers wrong when i reconditioned the drivers. so i reversed mids and tweet on right side while that unit was still wired 'out of phase'. i didn't want to open up the woofers just because w4 and neo are smaller/lighter to work with. anyways, now it sounds like mids and tweet are even MORE out of phase and the imaging is all slanted to the right. this is baffling. where is the problem? (besides my inadequacy at DIY)

could it be because of how my amp works? i remember reading something about NAD 2200 having inverted bass. maybe my sherwood am 7040 is same deal? no spec to be found whatsoever for this amp tho...
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Follow the wiring diagram, the amp has nothing to do with this....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Coconutout
      • Oct 2006

yes, the crossover should be wired correctly. i built them last fall and it was correct back then. i checked them rigorously when i built them. however the drivers were replaced just two weeks ago.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I think you missed my point....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Coconutout
          • Oct 2006

sorry. thomas. i did go ahead and check everything just now. in order to do that i had to take out the woofer which i was dreading in first place. everything looked to be in order. however i did see that the woofers were wired backwards. :P. so what you told me to do solved the problem in the end . thank you

Comment

• Curt C
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Coconutout
            could it be because of how my amp works? i remember reading something about NAD 2200 having inverted bass. maybe my sherwood am 7040 is same deal? no spec to be found whatsoever for this amp tho...
            I'm glad you found the solution to your issue. To answer your question above, I'll make this "Statement": :B
            "Phase is relative."
            That is, the actual phase is immaterial as long as the phase relationships between the components are maintained. It matters naught whether your amp (or speaker, or other component) retains absolute polarity or if it inverts it. As long as everybody is inverted, (or not) all is well. In crossover design, only convention dictates the woofers will always be connected in phase. There is no other legitimate reason to do so. To assume that absolute polarity was maintained from the original recording mic, through the recording/mixing/engineering/mastering/production/reproduction chain is almost assuredly wishful thinking.

C
            Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

The way the schematic reads it's easy to get the mid's +/- mixed up. I did that when I built the center. No big deal though it's easy to fix.
              -Chuck

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"