X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

Correct electrical phase for CP 800 and CA 2300

Hi,

This subject gets no attention, here on the forum, not in the manual, so I thought it was not relevant.
    I discussed this with technical dept of classe.

CP 800. Correct phasing cannot been seen, or know by us! (Bug). Hot pin should be up.

CA 2300. Can be seen via CAN bus. (Never used can bus, 12 v trigger was ok to me) Hot pin Should be left (fuse side).

It matters! Try yourself, if you have 800/2300

FYI

btw: i connected it perfectly statistically correct. 1 ok, 1 wrong.
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

I don't understand. The CP800 manual explains which are hot and cold. I have just looked it up! And then your statement about the CA 2300 makes no sense as the connectors are on their side facing each other so left and right up and down are not consistent between the two channels.....

But surely if you use straight cables they should work ok, or am I missing something?
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• TomScrut
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Nov 2013

The manual states quite explicitly on two occasions that it Classe amps and the CP800 use the same convention, so I have no idea what you are talking about!

Page 16 of the manual:

Page 20 of the manual:

It also explains the input arrangements on page 14.

Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TomScrut
        The manual states quite explicitly on two occasions that it Classe amps and the CP800 use the same convention, so I have no idea what you are talking about!
        I think gerardhn is talking about the main (220v) power input. With some european household outlets (for example German ones) the power outlet is symmetrical so its possible to rotate 180 degrees and invert the phase. But then, I may be wrong!
        Last edited by mjb; 07 March 2014, 15:09 Friday.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

Ah I see, our plugs in the UK are not symmetrical so that thought never entered my head!

Comment

• gerardhn
            • Jun 2005

Oh, Jezus, sorry, " of course" I mean the main electrical connections on the backside. Not the analogue connection. These main connectors are the same on the world. There are 3 pins. Middle is ground. But what are the other 2 . Where is Live or n
            neutral. ... Thats what i explain. As i said nothing is the manual. Which is strange. Some equipment complain (display) if live and neutral are interexchanged. Which just means: turn the cable in the wall socket, power bar, or reconnect (twist) the wires in your connector.

it matters!!!

So, tom please reread...it makes sense.

Comment

• busby
              • Jul 2011

The phasing of the mains connections should be as per the image below (looking into the end of the cable connector):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IEC pinout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	859028

Comment

• gerardhn
                • Jun 2005

Busby,

Nice picture. Correct, in agreement with my first mail. This shows how it should be for cp800/ca2300.
                Really good to share, it matters for the sq.
                Hope our forum friends have the tools to distinguish between N and L..
                (But be carefull, this is not a universal picture for all equipment for every brand, N and L can be interexchanged rondomly)

And about countries and or symmetrical connectors or not.... I think this is not relevant, as you never know which pin of your wall socket is live, or do you in the UK......? Anyway I would check, for safety and SQ!

Comment

• Glen B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2004

The 15A male power inlets (C14 connector) such as those on Classe gear, and their matching female IEC plugs (C13 connector) are manufactured to IEC international standard 60320. The positions of the neutral and line contacts are supposed to be the same anywhere in the world, wherever these connectors are found. Any gear that is not wired accordingly would not be adhering to the technical standard.

Comment

• busby
                    • Jul 2011

I live in the UK where the plugs can only be connected one way. I had assumed that the L/N pin orientation for the IEC connectors was standardised but, of course, if the other end of the cable has a European plug, it can be inserted either way into the wall socket. As well as SQ this can also be a safety issue: if the product just has a single-pole mains switch, the electronics can still be connected to "live" when the switch is off if the mains plug is wrongly inserted.

I don't know if it's a coincidence, but the IEC connector pin orientation N-E-L is actually the same as for the UK power sockets.

Comment

• gerardhn
                      • Jun 2005

Clear.

I would sumarize as follows
                      1 on cont europe (my area) which pin is alive at the wall socket , is not standarised. No need to, as male connector can be turned around. Therfore check, calibration is a must.

2 for other areas, i would not trust installation, so i would check...! As said avove, the expected hot pin on the equipment may also vary, so opening wall or equipment connector might be necessarry to turn around live and neutral. With high end connectors (furutech, oyaide) this is no problem, for closed cheap pc type cords this is impossible.

Correct???

Comment

• mjb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

For people not afraid to put a meter on things...

Neutral should be bonded to the earth (ground) in the fuse panel. Therefore, you should measure zero (max 1 or 2) AC volts between neutral and ground, and 220 AC volts between live and neutral AND between live and ground. A small tester can also identify live with a neon light if you don't have a meter.

Always use caution measuring power. Mistakes can make your fillings fall out, or even kill! :B
                        - Mike

Main System:
                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"