X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timetohunt
    • Feb 2007

Disc Player - HDCD and DVD-A questions

Two very quick questions on a disc player that I am using. (I just started another thread on Players but that discussion is different and more broad). Anyway, I bought a Panasonic DVD-S52 to replace a super cheap disposable DVD player, even the new Panasonic is a stop gap until I find what I really want.

Two Questions:

1. I am playing some of the newly remasterd Grateful Dead offerings which are all HDCD encoded. The Panasonic decodes HDCD, but the manual says it does not support the Peak Extend Function. What does this mean and is it important?

2. The player has an HDMI interface. I can only use optical or coax digital for now. The manual says it will only play 2-channel when playing a DVD-A unless you use HDMI. Sure enough, DVD-As that I have with 5.1 option will only play in 2 channel. Why is this? I though that the other digital connections could handle this.
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

re point one - you will find answers to this out there in internet land -try google or read the last posts here

I've got a few HDCD's in my collection and was wondering what the consensus on this technology is on this forum, particularly what Steve's thoughts on...

I only have HDCD in my system so others may wish fill you in on your second question.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by timetohunt
      2. The player has an HDMI interface. I can only use optical or coax digital for now. The manual says it will only play 2-channel when playing a DVD-A unless you use HDMI. Sure enough, DVD-As that I have with 5.1 option will only play in 2 channel. Why is this? I though that the other digital connections could handle this.
      The 5.1 option will not play from your optical or coax digital outputs due to embedded copyright protection which has been implemented to prevent illegal copying. If you want to listen to 5.1 from your DVD player you will need to use the analogue 5.1 channel audio outputs.

Comment

• timetohunt
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bigburner
        The 5.1 option will not play from your optical or coax digital outputs due to embedded copyright protection which has been implemented to prevent illegal copying. If you want to listen to 5.1 from your DVD player you will need to use the analogue 5.1 channel audio outputs.
        I can get 5.1 from a regular DVD but not DVD-A

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

That's because regular DVD 5.1 has a lot less information (it is a lossy compression) than DVD-A (a lossless compression) and it can be carried by your coax or optical connections. DVD-A can only be carried by (MCH, of course) by the analogue outputs (each one has enough bandwidth to carry one channel) or by HDMI (a digital connection designed, in part, for that purpose). Some players (not yours) also have firewire and/or proprietary (DenonLink is one example) single digital cable link.

Comment

• timetohunt
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ovation
            That's because regular DVD 5.1 has a lot less information (it is a lossy compression) than DVD-A (a lossless compression) and it can be carried by your coax or optical connections. DVD-A can only be carried by (MCH, of course) by the analogue outputs (each one has enough bandwidth to carry one channel) or by HDMI (a digital connection designed, in part, for that purpose). Some players (not yours) also have firewire and/or proprietary (DenonLink is one example) single digital cable link.
            Am I getting a lossless compression on the 2 channels I do get while using coax and optical. The DVD-A recording has an option of 5.1 or stereo. I should be getting the benefit even though I can't use HDMI or 5.1 analog right now - Yes ?

And on the HDCD PEAK EXTEND - as far as I can tell it allows for increased dynamic range and must be built into the recording process. Based on the content and type of music its use is up to those recording the record. I still can't tell if any one CD uses it or not just by looking at the CD. And I am still not sure how often its used or its importance. I don't think I lose any sleep over it but as I get into the hobby these are the little things I like to know. I just could not find much out there - at least info I could understand.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"