X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevo238
    • Apr 2006

Speaker wire insulation cracks

I'm using Wireworld Solstice 5 "squared" speaker cable that have already developed cracks in the insulation exposing the copper wire. The cables are relatively new and are bulky to use. They have been returned for repair but I'm not confident that this can be successfully completed without replacing them completely.

Any suggestions for future repairs of wire insulation that you would consider an adequate fix. Thanks.
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Honestly, if they have cracks in the insulation, I would have them replaced, if they are too old to do so throw them away and get you a new set of cables.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• chrispy35
      • Feb 2004

Electrical tape...preferably in a matching colour.

Chris P.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

1. Ask for a refund
        2. Call Lex (Doug) at CatCables.com.
        Last edited by wkhanna; 17 March 2007, 09:50 Saturday.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Steve, my concerns as a wire professional.

1. Contact breaks for speaker cables, receives electrical arc from any AC current like say you have an electrical extension behind your rack for example. IT is possible. Damage to speakers, very possible , or to amp.

2. Places that are not cracked now, may become cracked in the future, if it already has this problem, this wire must be old, or insulation defective.

3. Any exposed wiring from any cable is NOT a good thing. This is why CAT goes the extra step of even covering connector butts on RCAs with clear shrink tubing, this effectively insulates grounds from connecting at base of cables, to help prevent any arcing situations.

Anyway, whether you come see me for replacements or not, I'd remove them from my system were I you.

Doug
          CATCables.com
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Steve , Lex is modest. Go for the CATs. It took me a while to hear all of the improvement , but they will be obviously better immediately. Detail,soundstage,bass,-all were better as soon as I made the switch.To address your current issue , CAT's build quality is second to none. You can't equal them at twice the price-I'm not sure you can better them at any price. My $.02
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"