X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrpictureman
    • Aug 2008

Statements Foam vs. Insulation

As I am finishing up my boxes for my big Statements and 2RCC build the question begs which way to go, foam or insulation? I have read through all of the posts and have been unable to find any definitive answer, foam or insulation? I do know some were concerned about the health issues of insulation. I would assume any particles that excape through the port are minimal and would extend to the foam as well as the insulation? Those of you that have built the Statements, CC or 2rcc which do you prefer and why. Please also post pictures of your build showing the foam or insulation installed where applicable. Thanks
  • Bastek
    • Apr 2008

I always use 1" yellow fiberglass on all my speakers ( 2" on sealed boxes) they all sound smooth and nice, and i don't have any problems with flying particles, but I'm not that sensitive or allergic either.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I've used both in projects. Both work well. I mainly choose base on cost considerations of the project. Used properly, both can accomplish what is needed. BUT, how how much you use will affect the sound. I would probably suggest building it as nearly as possible to the original designer or anticipate doing some experimentation.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Curt C
        • Feb 2005

Jim's original speakers were done with foam. We never tried it with anything else, so I can't say what difference it would make. I know folks have used both and been pleased with the outcome, but I don't think anyone has ever compared the two side by side. I suspect either could be made to work well, with some experimentation.

-One caveat. the mid tunnels are quite sensitive to the position and amount of foam lining the walls. I wouldn't suggest straying too far afield in that area, and stick with the 1" foam specified in the write up.

C
        Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"