X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herbonbay
    • Jan 2005

EQ for Subwoofer ?

Does anyone use a in line graphic equalizer between their Amp and Sub?
    Herb
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Parametric EQ is better since the frequency limitations of graphic EQs are particularly notable in the bass end.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I just installed an Onix R-DES that, even after my first crude foray into digital EQing, has made a palpable improvement to my bass response. As I play around with the software, I'm beginning to learn how to fine-tune it better and better. Now, if I could only get a day w/o anyone else in the house!

For about twice the price (perhaps a bit less) the Velodyne SMS-1 will do everything my R-DES does (and more) and automatically (I believe Kal has reviewed the Velodyne, correct? Have you tried the R-DES?). I have to confess I got my R-DES for free, but I was considering an SMS-1 prior to having learned of the R-DES, so I might have gone with the R-DES anyway and spent the savings on some more hi-res MCH discs.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

I have an R-DES sitting here and hope to get to it one of these days.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• warnerwh
          • Jan 2006

Personally for 300 bucks I think the Behringer DEQ 2496 is the best deal going. It has 31 one stereo bands of graphic equalization plus 10 bands of parametric equalization per channel. Not to mention numerous other features like a feedback destroyer, auto room equalization etc.

If you run it full range you can even add your own dac as I've done. None of those other products really compare because the Behringer will do anything they can do and more. Right now on Audiogon someone has one for sale for 200 dollars. Ebay is another good place to look.

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Parts Express through the link on this page is also a good choice.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Exactly. I've bought two BFD's through Parts Express, now.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Herbonbay
                • Jan 2005

I've considered both the Behringer and the Velodyne SMS-1. I've heard that the Behringer has a fairly steep learning curve and I like the fact that the Velodyne has a remote.
                Just how steep is that Behringer curve? I'm snowed in today, perhaps I'll put on Yo Yo Ma's unaccompanied cello Suites by J.S. Bach, pour myself a scotch and download the Behringer manual. Cheers!
                Herb

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Herbonbay
                  I've considered both the Behringer and the Velodyne SMS-1. I've heard that the Behringer has a fairly steep learning curve and I like the fact that the Velodyne has a remote.
                  Just how steep is that Behringer curve? I'm snowed in today, perhaps I'll put on Yo Yo Ma's unaccompanied cello Suites by J.S. Bach, pour myself a scotch and download the Behringer manual. Cheers!
                  I've read the manuals for both, as well as for my R-DES and I would say the curve inversely proportional in steepness with the price of the unit. The SMS-1 is the easiest, the R-DES is more complicated and the Behringer even more so. But, in the end, I suspect each one will yield very similar results once they are properly set. It just depends on how much work one wants to put into it.

Comment

• Herbonbay
                    • Jan 2005

I just downloaded the Behringer manual. It gives a lot of whats, but not too many hows or whys. For the price, it's amazing what Behringer packs into this little device. It even has a 24bit/96kHz DAC. As I was reading the manual I kept thinking that this was far more than I needed, but for the money it can't be beat. I (THINK !) :roll: I only need the Para Eq funtions for what I want to do, but I'm sure it would be hard to stop me from fiddling with the other features. I'd be interested to know, from those of you that are using the Behringer, what functions you find valuable, and is there any other source material that gives any direction for its use in an audio system. Thanks
                    Herb

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Yes, Behringer is a rather remarkable company in giving a lot of performance in their products for low prices.

The thing with the BFD to remember is that you won't use a lot of features in it, to use it as a EQ for your sub. As its name says, it was originally designed to eradicate feedback in a system, and we use it as a sub EQ as a side benefit. If you use it with the Room EQ Wizard program, John gives you step-by-step instructions on what to do, and you don't even touch a lot of the features.

Herb, if you don't know, a guy named Sonny has a master document on how to use a BFD and set it up for HT use. Incredible knowledge base there.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Herbonbay
                        • Jan 2005

Herb, if you don't know, a guy named Sonny has a master document on how to use a BFD and set it up for HT use. Incredible knowledge base there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Chris, I assume that John is with Parts Express and the guy named Sonny I meet in an alley somewhere? I'll make sure I'm not follwed. 8)
                        Herb

Comment

• warnerwh
                          • Jan 2006

If you can afford the Behringer DEQ 2496 then go for it. It also has the feedback destroyer for bass frequencies built in. You can use it to tame bad room peaks too.

I use the graphic equalizer, parametric equalizer and room measurement capability. If you buy one it's a good idea to get the Behringer ECM 8000 microphone which is superior to the Radio shack meter by a wide margin. It is also easier to use. You can just plug in the mike and look at the built in spectrum analyzer. The analyzer is very useful too.

For the money I don't know what can touch this device. I've got a dedicated room and a pretty high end stereo. My room is fully treated with bass traps in each corner. The Behringer improved the sonic presentation far more than it's lowly price tag would indicate. I know alot of people with them that are amazed at how much improvement you get especially for the money.

The learning curve really isn't bad at all. There's only a few features you need to learn. It's easy to navigate the menu's in a short time of use.

There's a built in autoeq mode that allows you to set your own house curve. A wonderful device. I do the autoeq then adjust by ear from there with both the 31 band graphic equalizer and the 10 band stereo equalizer.

Being able to take a peak that's up 12db down to a reasonable level is wonderful. You don't want to boost much at all. I do upto 2db where there's dips.

One thing to remember is that all rooms with walls have room modes. The bass is the worst problem area. Just cleaning up the bass actually improves midrange clarity, not just the bass. Bass quality is much more real sounding due to the fact you don't have frequencies that are a few to 20db higher than they should be.

You should go to realtraps.com and read and watch videos. Room acoustics area huge priority in any decent system. These days I consider room acoustics the first priority of system setup. In the future I will be designing a room for a friends new home. I can assure you he will have the best acoustics I can do. I'll probably contact Ethan at realtraps for help as my friend can afford it.

Then I'll put together his system for him. World class is the only route I'll be taking and the custom built room in the new house will take acoustics into consideration.

I just saw a DEQ 2496 sell for 200 on Audiogon. You can get new ones online for 250 shipped. Another nice thing is that many people like the built in 2496 dac because it sounds very good. In my system I run the output through the Behringer to an outboard dac using the optical outputs and inputs on the Behringer because I like a different sound but the built in dac is far better than one would expect in a device costing so little and better than the dac in alot of dvd/cd players.

You'll be glad you got one. I wondered why I waited so long as I should have bought one the instant they came out. Unfortunately I had no idea how much better my system could sound with it in my system. Remember this is a fully treated custom and dedicated music listening room that the little 300 dollar device made a major improvement in. Best wishes. Let me know if you want any help with it.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Sorry, Herb, I realize that was vague. There's some history there with our forum that I want to avoid.

Here's the BFD Setup Guide with all sorts of BFD links. All the info you could ever need:

"John" is John Mulcahy, a Brit that wrote the Room EQ Software for EQ'ing subwoofers. You can use this software and connect your computer to the BFD for automatic setup and adjustment. Great resource, and John is a stand-up guy that does this in his spare time voluntarily. You'll find links in the BFD setup page.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Sithlord
                              • Aug 2004

This is a great site. I was just thinking about getting an EQ for my SVS-PB12/4 (formally B4+) but I have no knowlege about them at all or how to hook one up to my existing setup (Arcam AV8 pre-pro,Quest 2100Watt amp bridged for Sub). I moved into a house last March and my lounge room has polished floor boards but I have a large rug layed down with 3 recliners and a 2 seater lounge. My sub is placed in the front right of the room near the main speaker (along a side wall sub in front of the speaker), and the thing I notice most is that theres a big bass hot spot/spike at the back left of the listening position. It sounds like the sub is behind me to the left and I did have it there before and it wasn't very good far to localised. Now it's very hard for me to place this beast anywhere else as theres simply no other place that it can go due to it's size other than the before mentioned spots. I guess my question is will an EQ fix my problem? Your thoughts and suggestions will be be very much appreciated.

Comment

• Herbonbay
                                • Jan 2005

Thanks Chris, I hope you realize that I was laughing as I posted the previous reply. :rofl:
                                Herb

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                                  • Apr 2005

It's interesting to hear about the popularity of behringer Audio in home electronics....theline has a horrible reputation in pro Audio!!!! he he he But whatever works...

I'm more interested to know from people here if they Use 31 band Graphics or Parametrics across their screen channels or just their Sub...

-Todd A.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"