X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Feedback destroyer better than traps ?

This topic as with most in this hobby will probably get very varied opinions, but since I cannot do much at all to treat my room (waf) etc , do you guys think a unit such as the Behringer feedback destroyer will do the same job as room treatments ?

The behringer is the only unit I know of, so if anyone knows of other units or better units, I would be interested to know more.

I am a beginner in this area, and have not yet even got around to testing my system or room to find out where the problems are.

any info/opinions will be of interest and helpful.

Pete
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

velodyne SMS-1 will make your life a lot easier than a BFD with REW

but of course, it comes at a cost = $$

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Hey, Pete. Although with both a BFD and treatments the end big-picture result is the same, improving audio quality, they go about it in different ways, really having two different purposes. While treatments can be used to reflect and absorp sound frequencies so that the response is smoother across the audio spectrum at the primary listening location, in my mind treatments are really more to improve the sound QUALITY in the room. Mostly, what we're talking about is reducing reverberation so that sound is clear and crisp. Bass is tight, not boomy or muddy.

The BFD will adjust the "volume" levels of frequency outputs, (really mostly in the bass freqs) so that you get a smooth response across the spectrum at your listening location.

I use both, and I would say that treatments are overall more effective in improving audio performance. But we all have limitations, like WAF.

The BFD will be by far the most cost-effective options for EQ'ing your bass. In addition to the suggestion above, the Audyssey also works, and I understand does it across the whole audio spectrum, but it's also $$$.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
        • Aug 2001

This topic as with most in this hobby will probably get very varied opinions, but since I cannot do much at all to treat my room (waf) etc , do you guys think a unit such as the Behringer feedback destroyer will do the same job as room treatments ?
        If it did, I'd imagine most would opt for the $99 solution. It's simple enough to get the FR fairly flat at a small spot in the room in which you keep your ears (while likely making it far worse in other spots), quite another to control the ringing and other anomalies.

Comment

• Nathan P
          • Mar 2006

I'm in a band and we use a Sabine unit, works great, but it's $2500. Look it up, I think it's on musician's friend, but I don't know the model number.

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I'll be getting one of these R-DES pretty soon (I won it in an contest at another board). I was planning to get a Velodyne SMS-1 (I didn't know about this one, or I would have considered buying it instead--not as sophisticated as the SMS-1, but about half the price). Just another option out there.

Comment

• bleeding ears
              • Nov 2004

Thankyou all, for the suggestions and info, I am currently reading all the info etc to try to work out what may be the best option for my system.

Sounds like they all will improve sound quality to some extent.

Can somebody tell me why there is such a big price difference between the Behringer destroyer and the other units?

At its price it would be hard to go past, provided it does the job.

Is the Behringer inferior to the others? What is the difference with them?

I have a lot more to read on the Behringer units but so far it seems that their primary function in a home theatre/ Stereo setup is just to be used as a graphic equaliser. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Any further suggestions or explanations are welcome. :T

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

The Behringer is not designed for the purpose of taming subwoofers, though it can be used that way. The R-DES and SMS-1 ARE designed for that purpose and come with built-in (or accompanying) software that makes it easier to integrate into a system, as well as providing other features that are both useful and convenient.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                  • Nov 2004

Oh I see, as I said I have not yet done any testing to see where exactly my problem areas are but, I assume it is most likely to be in the low sub bass area ? Is that correct ?

Or can there also be problems in the mid/low bass from my mains?

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Yes, you could have problems, but my understanding is that those are much harder to eliminate.

As for Behringer price, yes, it certainly is true that the BFD was not designed for what we use it for, but we get the benefit! (side note: there is a formal project that some are working with Behringer on that would improve a BFD-like unit precisely for our needs) Also, Behringer as a company is one that just does not inflate their prices. Overall, they're very cost effective.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"